Park Fees Payment to be Privatised

Default Park Fees Payment to be Privatised

Yesterday the Minister of Tourism presented some proposals:
    A) To relief Wildlife Officers of hustling of receiving PARK FEES PAYMENTS. Private Citizen Companys will be tasked with this duties. The wildlife department now will do its duties of anti poaching and taking care of National parks, not spending time remiting park fees money at Government revenues. We are still waiting for the implementation process, when will it starts, but She talked about implementing it before year end.
    B) Increase the number of campsites, like in Forests reserves around Kasane, in Ngoma and Before Kazungula. I guess this is a way of decongesting Kasane.
    We will update as soon as the whole guidelines are released.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Park Fees Payment to be Privatised

I hope that the private agencies will not add on an exorbitant commission that results in a situation as we see with private operators in the various parks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I hope that the private agencies will not add on an exorbitant commission that results in a situation as we see with private operators in the various parks

Unfortunate as it is, I don't expect any less of them, they won't do it for free after all.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Yesterday the Minister of Tourism presented some proposals:
    A) To relief Wildlife Officers of hustling of receiving PARK FEES PAYMENTS. Private Citizen Companys will be tasked with this duties. The wildlife department now will do its duties of anti poaching and taking care of National parks, not spending time remiting park fees money at Government revenues. We are still waiting for the implementation process, when will it starts, but She talked about implementing it before year end.
    B) Increase the number of campsites, like in Forests reserves around Kasane, in Ngoma and Before Kazungula. I guess this is a way of decongesting Kasane.
    We will update as soon as the whole guidelines are released.

Will this affect the DWNP managed campsites as well (in terms of booking process)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nambots View Post
    Will this affect the DWNP managed campsites as well (in terms of booking process)?
    I think after securing your campsite bookings managed by DWNP, you will then move to pay park fees with the private company, either at Park entrance with cash or they will also install all entrances with Swipping machines or there will have the online payment system too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    I think after securing your campsite bookings managed by DWNP, you will then move to pay park fees with the private company, either at Park entrance with cash or they will also install all entrances with Swipping machines or there will have the online payment system too.

Thanks Pat. I guess this may affect the current rates, but on the other hand the system could be easier for folks like me still making every single booking without third parties. Looking forward for updates

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nambots For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Unfortunate as it is, I don't expect any less of them, they won't do it for free after all.
    I have no problem with them adding a mark up on if it eases the booking process and the mark up is commensurate with the amount being paid. If we end up in a situation like the campsites where you have 2 identical campsites and one costs 4 times the price of the other it will be very frustrating

Just a heads-up too, only Pula or credit cards will be accepted at the park gates in future.

I see an opportunity for corruption ... "who's friend" is going to get the contract ? ... it's very easy for all the money not to be paid over. There is a reason why Africa is such a mess ... these guys are creative ... So will the administrative people who received the money be fired ? I believe not ... so then costs can even go up
    Last edited by Tsaals; 2020/06/11 at 09:12 AM.

Keep your ear to the ground and please update us about this as news becomes available.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Keep your ear to the ground and please update us about this as news becomes available.
    She announced that the commencing period would be March 2021. We are still waiting for more details. Probably the tendering, bidding and announcing the winner and giving the winner time to put up equipment.

So Pat, just to make sure I understand correctly: the role of the new system/operator will only be collect park fees on behalf of DWNP? Is there really a risk that park fees will go up?

I must say an online option to pay park fees will be really great.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/06/12 at 08:31 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    So Pat, just to make sure I understand correctly: the role of the new system/operator will only be collect park fees on behalf of DWNP? Is there really a risk that park fees will go up?

I must say an online option to pay park fees will be really great.
    Hie Christa
    Yes the role of the new system would be just for park fees collection, not campsites. Yes the online option would be great, I guess they will start with both online and manual payments to give both paying online or at park entrances chance. Separately, talking about park fees going up. This is an issue that has been discussed for many years locally, the last time park fees in Botswana were increased I guess was 1992. Its been long since they were reviewed. Will they change anytime soon, I don't know.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2020/06/12 at 10:00 AM.