How Bad... Dustbin Diggers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How Bad... Dustbin Diggers

I've recently noticed this new phenomena in our area, in the past the dustbin diggers would wait at the top and maybe sometimes also at the bottom of the road for residents to put out there bins, wait until residents are out of sight before going in for the kill. Lately it seems like they are spaced about 250m (if that) apart and you hardly open the gate then they on top of you ready to start scurraging for plastics and whatever else that could bring in a couple of Rand's.

Has anybody else experienced this in there are too?
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Default Re: How Bad... Dustbin Diggers

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    I've recently noticed this new phenomena in our area, in the past the dustbin diggers would wait at the top and maybe sometimes also at the bottom of the road for residents to put out there bins, wait until residents are out of sight before going in for the kill. Lately it seems like they are spaced about 250m (if that) apart and you hardly open the gate then they on top of you ready to start scurraging for plastics and whatever else that could bring in a couple of Rand's.

Has anybody else experienced this in there are too?
    They have only reappeared in our road since last week. They give me a wide berth if they see me. Place looks like a tip after they have finished rummaging and at least 3 different individuals all have a rummage before the truck actually comes around.

They have slim pickings as I have already segregated the ''valuable'' stuff which goes to organisations that directly benefit.
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/06/03 at 08:03 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Hi Viper, we are in Stellenberg, Durbanville area and had the same problem. The majority of residents now installed the Bingaurd and it is the end of bin-scrather visits and rubbish laying around. Have a look at www.bingaurd.co.za Regards

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terioster For This Useful Post:

In our area it seems they have formed a type of co-op. They each take a block, collect stuff and then stack it on the traffic circle, where they later meet to distribute the loot amongst themselves. Metro, of course, turns a blind eye to the impact this has on the traffic at a very busy crossing. On the one hand, at least they are doing something useful in terms of recycling and earning some money but on the other they are a traffic hazard with their overloaded and bulky carts in narrow streets with no regard for traffic or traffic rules.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakoos For This Useful Post:

With being at home so much the last couple months, I usually dont take out the bin early and wait until I hear the commotion with the truck approaching since in my street, EVERYBODY has at least 59 dogs, barking madly for anything that moves in the street
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4]

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Terioster View Post
    Have a look at www.bingaurd.co.za Regards
    Wow, thats a wheelie-bin world right there. Some innovative stuff.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Our guys also hang around waiting,but have learnt to keep place neat, actually pick up any papers that may be lying about. It was a struggle as surprisingly few actually understand English (or choose not to?) but I have noticed a few new guys now who I call subsistence scratchers, they not recycling plastic or cardboard,just scratching for food.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

Its gotten worse in our area too.

I mostly do not put bags out because i try to take all our waste to the municipal dump on the Saturday or Sunday before, predominantly to avoid having these vagrants hanging around outside my property looking around for other things to steal

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:

I already separate the rubbish into different clear bags, ie plastics, tins etc etc. Save them the trouble and the digging. We even make some small talk sometimes, and I encourage you to try it as well

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Yes, people are desperate, but our problem is the criminals that hangs around with them! We do not put our bins out the night before.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JJ-Namibia For This Useful Post:

Depending which side of the bed I get out of I've had some serious screaming matches in the past. Because It's exactly that, they tear the bags open and then everything lies all over the pavement. They also have this new thing where they make a pile on somebody's pavement to collect later. The other day I found like 25 large sign boards on my pavement that they off course wanted to use for some shack of some sort but then forgot to collect.

Thanks Terioster that bin lock seem like a good idea, I might just suggest that on our community group. Although I would first have to fix my bins, the one doesn't have a lid anymore and the other once is cracked.

I've heard that you can contact City of Johannesburg somehow and inform them of the bin and then they replace them not sure what the charges are. Has anybody done this?
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

In our street they keep some distance. What we do to try help is to put all the glass and plastic in a seperate bag next to the dustbin, easy to pick up and go for the recyclers. But unfortunately most of them still scavenge the bin. Saw one last week that lifted the top black bag out of the bin and dumped the contents into bin to walk away with the black bag, left without the recycling.

We use to have Ronny that collected the papers and plastics. But since the beginning of the year this has also gone belly up.

Check that pile !
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Terioster View Post
    Hi Viper, we are in Stellenberg, Durbanville area and had the same problem. The majority of residents now installed the Bingaurd and it is the end of bin-scrather visits and rubbish laying around. Have a look at www.bingaurd.co.za Regards
    So this thing works when the bin is flipped upside down?

Doesn't this just encourage the waste pickers to flip your bin upside down and dump the contents on the street?

Ours have been very much the same as what they were before lockdown. During, after, before, things didn't seem to change for them.

In past we also had some problems with them either coming too close to me or my wife, and I politely informed them that the dogs will attack if they don't move back. We put our wheelie bins right next to the driveway. They have learned to wait till we are out and have left the driveway before moving closer. (I have a manual gate). The other issue was one or two individuals making a mess. If I see them leaving a mess, I go fetch them and tell them to clean up their mess, it was clean before they came, it will be clean when they leave. Currently, all is well actually, no messes, don't get too close. The municipal guys on the other hand, they just leave the street in a state, and they dont give a ####.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

I also leave the gate wide open when I put the bags out and I make sure Sniper(staffy) sees them and they see him then they dont dare come close to my gate when it goes open but its still not ideal because they might just start to take chances when swambo is alone or poison the dogs or something. I dont trust them.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

What was worse was my x neighbours didnt use refuse bags. They just threw their crap over the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    So this thing works when the bin is flipped upside down?

Doesn't this just encourage the waste pickers to flip your bin upside down and dump the contents on the street?
    Nope, the bin is locked and can only be opened by the mechanism on the truck

Weve been staying in the 'burbs for a month now, in weltevreden park. Rubbish collection day is monday.
    At 01h00 on monday mornings youre woken up by those trolley things the guys have cruising the streets.

I need to get back to the countryside!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Weve been staying in the 'burbs for a month now, in weltevreden park. Rubbish collection day is monday.
    At 01h00 on monday mornings youre woken up by those trolley things the guys have cruising the streets.

I need to get back to the countryside!
    Early bird catches the worm?

Luckily here by us it only starts at about 6 ish the morning, a little bit later in winter times.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast