How Bad... Dustbin Diggers - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: How Bad... Dustbin Diggers

Live and let live. Maybe we are lucky, mess is manageable if any. They do have their territories that the protect and I do some "education" since the people stay the same. The Shitty Council leaves a bigger mess behind.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2020/06/03 at 09:42 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

The guys in our area leave no mess and do a good job in my eyes by recycling plastic and glass. A hard way to make a living, at least they don't just stand begging for money like so many others.
    Anything of value or still good to eat I put in a bag on top of the bin to give them the option to take or throw away.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

I share my sentiments with most about this. What I do also have a problem with them as well is that they use the streets for their overloaded "carts" and have a very carefree reckless manner. I have had a couple of close shaves with these characters with their over loaded trolleys. The other day I was stopped at an intersection and one out of control character actually ran into my vehicle. "Sorry". I gave him hell not that helped I suppose. I was just fed up with their "road manner". They do not belong on busy roads and intersections.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry but nobody must tell me that they doing a good job recycling. Have you not driven past open areas where they get together after a day of collecting and start separating what they can and can't use. Just drive on the N1 between Malibongwe and Buccleugh and see what a mess they leave behind.
    I live quite close to the Klein Juskei, when I take the dogs for a walk they do the same thing all the bits and bobs they can't use end up in this little stream.
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    I'm sorry but nobody must tell me that they doing a good job recycling. Have you not driven past open areas where they get together after a day of collecting and start separating what they can and can't use. Just drive on the N1 between Malibongwe and Buccleugh and see what a mess they leave behind.
    I live quite close to the Klein Juskei, when I take the dogs for a walk they do the same thing all the bits and bobs they can't use end up in this little stream.
    You are spot on if they did a good job at recycling the streets and parks would have been cleared from rubbish.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

I highly doubt the mess they leave is more than the mess left by other people, I mean, just look in general at what it looks where people chuck stuff out of their car windows.

I'd rather them try eek out a living than it all going to the dump where it will just be burned in any case.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    You are spot on if they did a good job at recycling the streets and parks would have been cleared from rubbish.
    Ok, so to go clean a park, lets say you pick up 20 plastic bottles, but a park is big, those 20 bottles will get you what, like 1 rand, 2 rand, maybe 10 rand, but it will take you a lot time, whereas you probably get that amount from two wheelie bins, in a couple of minutes. The municipality should be cleaning streets and parks, as we pay tax for that stuff.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

The huge mess is where they do their sorting, normally in a veld somewhere, ours is behind the Virgin Active Gym in Klipriver road. Anyone who says they are good for the environment clearly hasn't paid the informal sorting areas a visit, and yes council and cops notified often with zero results.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparewheel For This Useful Post:

No one is saying that they are doing a "good" job. But nor are many civil servants (and I have seen quiet a number in private sector people as well), but many (NOT all) of them is earning a honest buck or two instead of just begging or stealing. And since we are all aware of them using the streets regularly (maybe because our Council do no provide decent side walks - not even for normal pedestrians), I just drive with this in mind, same as with the damn taxis. If only we lived in a perfect world.

Jip, I had to shake my head when I saw one cruising on the N4 between Rossouw and Whatever in Pta.

A cobra or two in a black bin bag should solve the problem. Make sure you have your camera ready. Just my dry sense of humour.

As long they dont mess I do not see what the issue is. I dont want it so he's welcome to eek out a living from it. Every week we have people going through the bins in our street and we've never had an issue with any mess.

If there is something of possible value we are chucking away (old paid of shoes etc) we now place it on top of the bin.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

We do not use bins in PE, so it is just black bags. Here we have the same "problem", but for most of the time it is not really a problem, the crew that moves through our neighbourhood opens and closes the bags, and there is absolutely no mess, you would not even know they were there.

That said, it does pose a problem though as it is impossible to see who are there to scratch, and who is there to just get an eye on your house.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    I already separate the rubbish into different clear bags, ie plastics, tins etc etc. Save them the trouble and the digging. We even make some small talk sometimes, and I encourage you to try it as well
    Since they are performing a valuable function to society we should actually be paying them to sort/remove the plastic/recyclables from our bins!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Live and let live, if you were down and out you would also do some drastic stuff to survive. At least they are not waiting for you to leave and rob you or even worse come in at night and kill you.

It can be frustrating if they leave the place like a pigsty so have a word and explain your concern. As for sorting and leaving rubbish.... they move on foot and need to carry or lug all they take away and besides they already sort through the rubbish on your pavement so why do it again. I had one discussion with the regulars that patrol our area and it has turned out for the best, they always greet me with a friendly "Hi Madala how are you" or now during lock down "are you OK?" I have even seen them clean up after the rubbish collectors.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

We have a "regular crew" in my area, and I have briefed them that the still edibles are hanging on the bag on the fence, and we recycle our plastic and paper separately, and glss goes to the drop point, so the bin is basically trash only.
    Feel free to go through the bin, but leave it as clean as I left it when I took the bins out or we WILL have an issue. There was one issue that involved a pick handle and the neighbourhood watch, none since.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Live and let live, if you were down and out you would also do some drastic stuff to survive. At least they are not waiting for you to leave and rob you or even worse come in at night and kill you.

It can be frustrating if they leave the place like a pigsty so have a word and explain your concern. As for sorting and leaving rubbish.... they move on foot and need to carry or lug all they take away and besides they already sort through the rubbish on your pavement so why do it again. I had one discussion with the regulars that patrol our area and it has turned out for the best, they always greet me with a friendly "Hi Madala how are you" or now during lock down "are you OK?" I have even seen them clean up after the rubbish collectors.
    I agree, I dont think they are doing it because they want to , they have no other option to survive. I try and help them by placing the paper and plastics and cans in separate bags. They mostly dont leave to much of a mess. Live and let live

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

You guys have to look at the bigger picture here. It's not just about the digging in the dustbin, it's about the litter, it's about the chaos on the roads, it's about when I take my child to the park and the guys are sitting under the tree sorting bottles , the environmental impact etc. etc.

If there are two digging in the dustbin now there's going to be ten by the time we see the full impact of COVID on the economy.
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

You guys have to look at the bigger picture here. It's not just about the digging in the dustbin, it's about the litter, it's about the chaos on the roads, it's about when I take my child to the park and the guys are sitting under the tree sorting bottles , the environmental impact etc. etc.

If there are two digging in the dustbin now there's going to be ten by the time we see the full impact of COVID on the economy.
    I hear you and agree, but what is the solution - what alternative do these people have , this is literally scrapping the bottom of the barrel, they have no other option left. I respect them more than the dude with his board and sorry look on his face standing at the robot begging for money. As long as we have a government where corruption, mismanagement and pure laziness is at the order of the day this country will have people living in extreme poverty.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    I hear you and agree, but what is the solution - what alternative do these people have , this is literally scrapping the bottom of the barrel, they have no other option left. I respect them more than the dude with his board and sorry look on his face standing at the robot begging for money. As long as we have a government where corruption, mismanagement and pure laziness is at the order of the day this country will have people living in extreme poverty.
    I dono, just wondering what the next level of this would be 50 oke's fighting over one bin?
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

Have you ever gone hungry?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast