Nightmare new VW engine - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Nightmare new VW engine

It's called the EA888 engine and is actually widely regarded as very good. Multiple International Engine of the Year awards and Ward's Best Engine awards. Very good combination of performance, economy and reliability. In my opinion, to obtain all 3, complexity is inevitable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kambro For This Useful Post:

Thanks Francois, think few is aware of you technical credentials.

My next question to all respondents to this thread who have actually opened this engine in person?

The next question who has seen an opened engine.

The last one what is your experience on engines to judge and make reliable conclusions when you see it dismantled.

I am with Francois and believe his judgement seeing him spend several years with Volkswagen as a technician.

Kathu is rated as a GTI hotspot. Year ago facts stated that Kathu has the most GTI`s per capita in the country.

So yes GTI`s are fast little high performance cars leading the pack. With so many around you also hear the bad things along with the good.

It is much deeper than just trying to oppose Francois because of VW loyalty.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I have not seen an EA888 engine opened, but I expect it to be complex

Would Oom Francois like to share an example of what he saw and thought to be unnecessarily complex? Not trying to stir, troll or whatever it is called. I'm just an interested auto enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kambro View Post
    I have not seen an EA888 engine opened, but I expect it to be complex

Would Oom Francois like to share an example of what he saw and thought to be unnecessarily complex? Not trying to stir, troll or whatever it is called. I'm just an interested auto enthusiast
    First off the crankpulley set up. Why have it interlock like that? The whole chain arrangement. The funny fasteners used, The integrated "tappet cover" if you can call it that. The very compact camshaft arrangement. The stupid little oil strainer. A one time use timing cover!

If you hear of an engine where a particular part has had more than two revisions, you know you're in trouble.

Just some background on why and how I got here. I have been rather serious to get myself a GTi as a late mid life crisis treat but having heard some negative stories from some very reliable sources, I decided to dig a bit deeper. I am on a good footing with the local VW dealer also since I have bought a new vehicle from them not so long ago. From what I've seen in the design have scared me.

Yes the GTi and all other cars fitted with this engine are fantastic to drive. Yet I have decided against it. Not for me.

Just my personal observation and opinion. I have always loved my VW's, as mentioned on my 19th one now, but I'll think twice next time round.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Thx for sharing Oom Francois. It's a pity. Would love to know VW's reasons behind it.

As Oom said, they are fantastic to drive. I drove a Aud S3 a while back (same generation of engine, just a few more horses). Astonishing performance and power delivery for a 2L. And if you back off, it even gives decent fuel consumption.

I was in a workshop where the guys was working on a twin turbo 320 BMW. It took 3 sweating guys to get 1 little bolt in!
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks Francois I'll watch that clip. On someone else's comment regarding the complexity of this engine to achieve performance and fuel consumption, we get city consumption of 13l/100km when driving light footed...

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Agree 100% with the 'complicated' remark but I think the video relates to a known problem - Audi 2.0T Timing Chain Recalls and VW Timing Chain Settlement?

(I was bitten by the 2009 EA888 oil use issue with my Audi A4 2.0 TFSI which is also well documented so I am not blind to the possible defects, but I also do think the platform has 'matured' and is not notorious for failing? Having said that, while I am also a fan (3 x VWs currently) - will I buy it? Nope!) Maybe all these intricate designs are an inevitable byproduct of trying to get the competitive edge in design, cost effective manufacturing, performance, regulations etc?

PS : Due to exactly the reasons of being 'complicated' (as it might = high maintenance = plenty RRRR's) etc, I am also moving away from the more high tech platforms. I honesty can't see how the ave person can risk owning a very high tech vehicle beyond the expiry of a motor plan these days.
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/06/04 at 03:49 PM.

Just as an example the 2.4 ( and of coarse the 2.2) engine used by ford and LR is covered with stretch bolts.

Almost all are and the timing cover is also use once only.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Manufactures understand the the Internal combustion engine is in its late sunset years as a engine. Also I would imagine these new engines are being build without the expectation of it being opened to maintain its forecast life span- similar to the gear box oil for life scenario

The new car buyer market hardly ever keeps a car past its motor plan/warranty expiration. The prospect of costly repairs is one of the reasons why. This suites car manufactures of any kind. They want to sell more new cars instead of maintaining old past warranty ones.

Build in obsolescence is part of the design to encourage new car sales. With clever financial products its becoming more and more affordable to have a vehicle installment with a motor plan than a paid off car that requires out of pocket maintenance and repairs - especially when using agents

This obviously depends on home much mileage you do.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

The thing that looks most worrying to me is a plastic chain slider on the tension side of the chain, maybe due to physical packaging constraints.

But then my experience ends with old tech engines like this, with proper roller guides for the chain.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The EA888 2.0TSI from 09 to 2012 had its fair share of issues, My 2012 GTI was my least reliable car I have ever owned. I know many people who destroyed pistons in various VW/Audi models sporting said engine. Between chain tensioners, coil packs, water pumps, radiators and piston ring issues you would experience at least one or all of these if you had the vehicle long enough. Some items can be taken care of as preventative maintenance which would make your ownership relatively decent but some things you just could not avoid. I was never left stranded at the side of the road luckily but I had one to many issues. The newer EA888 as found in the newer MK7 GTI's I beleive are way more reliable and robust so that's good news at least!
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    The thing that looks most worrying to me is a plastic chain slider on the tension side of the chain, maybe due to physical packaging constraints.

But then my experience ends with old tech engines like this, with proper roller guides for the chain.
    A thing of beauty, that
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Agree 100% with the 'complicated' remark but I think the video relates to a known problem - Audi 2.0T Timing Chain Recalls and VW Timing Chain Settlement?

(I was bitten by the 2009 EA888 oil use issue with my Audi A4 2.0 TFSI which is also well documented so I am not blind to the possible defects, but I also do think the platform has 'matured' and is not notorious for failing? Having said that, while I am also a fan (3 x VWs currently) - will I buy it? Nope!) Maybe all these intricate designs are an inevitable byproduct of trying to get the competitive edge in design, cost effective manufacturing, performance, regulations etc?

PS : Due to exactly the reasons of being 'complicated' (as it might = high maintenance = plenty RRRR's) etc, I am also moving away from the more high tech platforms. I honesty can't see how the ave person can risk owning a very high tech vehicle beyond the expiry of a motor plan these days.
    Yes, yes, yes....

PETROL /DIESEL IS SOOOO LAST YEAR!

Time to go electric, less complex, more reliable (so Tesla says,) and less maintenance.

The combustion engine has reached its pinnacle, to get any minor improvement requires huge complexity, the margin of improvement is decreasing....

So gents, what electric cars do VW have?
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/06/04 at 05:39 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    So gents, what electric cars do VW have?
    ID3, ID4, e-Golf etc

​​VW gearing up to launch electric cars in South Africa

Porche Taycan
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/06/05 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Porsche added

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

I really like the e-Golf, came close to buying one when living in London. i think they are great for town commute, but then again with our electricity supply issues - it is hard to see how ownership can be viable and affordable.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mueneni For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    I was in a workshop where the guys was working on a twin turbo 320 BMW. It took 3 sweating guys to get 1 little bolt in!
    Just a FYI, 320 BMW is single turbo.
    Last edited by clubbie; 2020/06/05 at 08:10 AM.

VW can still do do a simple engine: my VW Vivo is almost as simple as my old Vauxall Viva.

To get back to simplicity, looks like we have to go electric.
    Last edited by WillMartin; 2020/06/29 at 06:28 PM.
    2020 Landcruiser 79 DC V6
    2012 Prado 150VX V6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2