Nightmare new VW engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nightmare new VW engine

I happened to see a VW 2.0 TSI engine ala GTi being stripped this weekend. What a shocking design! I am sure the engineers responsible feel very proud but I will not buy one after having seen this. Overly complicated does not begin to describe it. I consider myself fairly well versed in vehicle mechanics with a fair bit of training and experience and I am not averse to new technology, but this is rediculous!
    That engine will become an absolute pain as it gets older. I honestly fail to see why it has to be that complex.

I love my VW's, on my 19th one now but probably my last!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nightmare new VW engine

Maybe because of all the new emission control requirements?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I happened to see a VW 2.0 TSI engine ala GTi being stripped this weekend. What a shocking design! I am sure the engineers responsible feel very proud but I will not buy one after having seen this. Overly complicated does not begin to describe it. I consider myself fairly well versed in vehicle mechanics with a fair bit of training and experience and I am not averse to new technology, but this is rediculous!
    That engine will become an absolute pain as it gets older. I honestly fail to see why it has to be that complex.

Unfortunately the German way of doing it. See that over complicating thing in my line of work every day. Nothing against the Germans I think they are brilliant it is just their way of doing things. The Japanese equivalent of their systems is way more user friendly.
    My experience with German systems comes as far back as 1984.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Explain why you deem it overly complex? and how would you compare it to say a Ford Ecoboost engine, in complexity?

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Probably one the best modern 4 pot turbo petrols ever made. It's very reliable, especially when you consider the output. In the new Golf R that engine gives more than 300 horsepower.

Not all VW engines are gems but this one's genes come a long way. It's a good engine. And rarely need opening if looked after.

The engineering is actually marvelous. It's not that different to normal engines. It's just a highly developed motor. See attached

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Would you care to list specifics.

I don't doubt your statement, but it is much like saying "I am sick".

PS Is it more complicated than an old Colchester lathe?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Explain why you deem it overly complex? and how would you compare it to say a Ford Ecoboost engine, in complexity?
    I don't know the Ecoboost engine so can't comment unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Probably one the best modern 4 pot turbo petrols ever made. It's very reliable, especially when you consider the output. In the new Golf R that engine gives more than 300 horsepower.

Not all VW engines are gems but this one's genes come a long way. It's a good engine. And rarely need opening if looked after.

The engineering is actually marvelous. It's not that different to normal engines. It's just a highly developed motor. See attached
    My son did part of his apprenticeship on these engines and then worked at an Indi on them afterwards. He always told me that he thought the engines were no good. I thought he was being overly dramatic. I don't know what you base your statement on.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Would you care to list specifics.

I don't doubt your statement, but it is much like saying "I am sick".

PS Is it more complicated than an old Colchester lathe?
    I will try to find a video on YT which might explain a bit instead of me listing my concerns. Maybe you can decide for yourself then.

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post

Maybe the new one's are reliable. My 2010 GTI has been such a pain that the only reason i still own it is because even if i sell it for a good price, i'd never recover the money spent on it.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mueneni For This Useful Post:

I have the older generation of this same engine in my A4, currently sitting on 227k km, it did burn oil at some point, which was a problem that Audi resolved under good will. It is a well documented issue and it really is a pain in the ass, but apart from that I have no complaints. Fuel consumption is decent, depending on hard you drive it. Power is decent (with the possibility of being down right impressive for a 10 year old engine if mapped), and the car is refined. I think modern engines are complicated, and the newer the engine the more complicated it gets, customers want increasingly good consumption for the same or more power outputs, emissions laws get strikter and strikter etc. The only way to keep up is to squeeze more and more out of the package and one does this by capitalising on each and every small item of gain you can. Couple with this the fact that the EU market retires cars much sooner than we in the 3rd world does and it makes perfect sense to build an engine that is going to make more power and less emissions for the first 150 or 200k km and then be scrapped.

With that being said, if properly maintained these engines can last long, there are a number of cases of them lasting much longer than the 227k mine is on currently. Will it outlast a n/a low revvign diesel engine? No I don't think it will, but it isn't mean to either.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    Maybe the new one's are reliable. My 2010 GTI has been such a pain that the only reason i still own it is because even if i sell it for a good price, i'd never recover the money spent on it.
    As a matter of interest what issues have you had with yours?

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

Just hang on guys, I need to go buy popcorn.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Kalahari (Occasional visitor to Morningside)

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    As a matter of interest what issues have you had with yours?
    I owned the car since new, first it had the dreaded tensioner failure, (well documented now and vw have redesigned I believe), in its 3rd year. Had a new motor put in, which have suffered from high oil consumption, oil sensor malfunction (x3), and have changed the intake manifold 3 times and still get the check engine light.

Besides those issues i have to agree, it is possibly one of the best drivers car i have owned - very refined and responsive.
    Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
    Occasional: 2014 Audi A8L V8 - The Boat
    Towing van: 2008 Touareg V10
    Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
    Farm car: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
    Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
    Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC

Quote Originally Posted by Mueneni View Post
    I owned the car since new, first it had the dreaded tensioner failure, (well documented now and vw have redesigned I believe), in its 3rd year. Had a new motor put in, which have suffered from high oil consumption, oil sensor malfunction (x3), and have changed the intake manifold 3 times and still get the check engine light.

Besides those issues i have to agree, it is possibly one of the best drivers car i have owned - very refined and responsive.
    Yea that sounds terrible, I don't think I would have been as patient as you have been with it!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Just hang on guys, I need to go buy popcorn.
    I'll get the seasoning...

I've noticed on this forum that if an engine can't be fixed in the middle of africa with a "bloudraad en n tang" then it get's disregarded as no good and unreliable.

I know of a few oil pump failures on them.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

OK, I found a video which will give you an idea what I'm talking about. Audi with some small differences but by and large the same engine.

You decide for yourself, I've made up my mind. #franshorn, do you mind sharing with us your knowledge and experience on engines

Last edited by Francois Theron; 2020/06/02 at 06:15 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Germans do drink too much beer at the end of the month then they dont get everything correct. Had a such jetta. Never bought VW again.
    Johan Kriel

We have an Audi TT 2.0L TFSI with this engine, a 2011 model with 73k on its clock. What should we look out for and what preventative action could we perform?

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    We have an Audi TT 2.0L TFSI with this engine, a 2011 model with 73k on its clock. What should we look out for and what preventative action could we perform?
    Do have a look at the video I've posted. It might answer some or all of your questions

If that engine is running well, then give it some Uniglide to "lock in that condition". Then on every service, just a 500ml topup.

I quite enjoy that engine. Pulls really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast