Mini Cooper viable?





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    george
    Age
    45
    Posts
    156
    Thanked: 90

    Default Mini Cooper viable?

    Hi guys, lets say i have 200k to buy wifie her dream car cash. Th right thing to do is buy a kia or huyndai demo, but she wants a 5 door mini. Shopping around, for 200k you get get into a nice 2015 model auto. Will take the extended after market warranty.

    Questions:

    Will a 2015 model look after us as we do it for the next 5 years, if its bought at around 70 000km on the clock
    Are there nightmare stories out there, expensive to maintain?
    She only does 10k per year
    Does the after market warranty actually cover much at all, or is this a very expensive car to maintain?
    This will only be in and around 2 months time.
    She also looked at 2014 countryman, men lol, but those are older, old spec info dash, but nice higher ride height
    Is the safe route to look at anything from 2017 onwards, pay more now, less later?
    Buy once - cry once?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,041
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    We also looked at Mini's but the ones that we saw wasn't in good condition. We then got her dream car! Name:  20200326_190937.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  38.1 KB


    Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeepiscool For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    george
    Age
    45
    Posts
    156
    Thanked: 90

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Jeepi, that is stunning.

    I am so tired of debt, financing cars, singing millions of pages of docs, for once i want a car for her
    thats paid cash. I cant believe cars which are 5 years old with full dealer history can just give so many problems?
    We look after our stuff, polish once every 3 months and so on. She wants to get into the mini family and drive it for 5 years.
    Just want to make sure the after market plan will help IF something large goes wrong, but i guess thats the chance you take....

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    291
    Thanked: 130

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    My wife has owned 2x mini's
    1 standard and the other the cooper s

    She loved them

    I would personally stay away from an auto and any of them that has the "s" bage due to problems

    Stunning cars they are reliable but have them serviced iether at bmw or sombody that only specilizes in bmw (and does no other brand but bmw)

    Confirm the service history with the dealer
    Take the vin to bmw and ask them to give you a report/printout on the car see if anything major was repaired of late if not ask the dealer to do it for you

    Maintanance is a bit expensive!and both of them did have thier issues esp doing aux belts and water pumps the "s" had developed timing chain issues(very expensive)
    And was overheating aswell

    We have now bought my wife a demo kia picanto learnt from our errors

    0km
    = no problems also way cheaper on the pocket and under warranty

    She is very happy now
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    130
    Thanked: 113

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    My wife has a Mini Cooper S. Its a 2009 model with 70k km on the clock , she only drives it to the kids school or the local shops. Apparently the Peugeot engine was made from paper and less reliable than a Land Rover TDV6 but so far we have had no major issues. I have been servicing it since the motorplan expired. I have only replaced the water pump, thermostat housing and water bottle as preventative maintenance items. Next I want to do the timing chain and guides as the car is not more than 10 years old.

    Still goes like a go cart and held up very well looks wise.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,004
    Thanked: 155

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    The S motors are not great reliability wise and when they let go... eina (happened to a friend of the wife).
    If she is willing to get a non S model then go for it.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension 8

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Modders
    Age
    46
    Posts
    719
    Thanked: 251

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    My significant other has just purchased a Cooper, 2015 with only 18000 km, gorgeous little car, 3 cylinder 1.5 BMW motor is a gem.
    Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,069
    Thanked: 1124

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    All I have heard about Mini is don't own one out of warranty. I'd love to get one because they look like great fun and often sell for not much money relatively speaking but it's one of those vehicles that needs deep pockets just in case. Buy one if potentially throwing buckets of money at it is no issue and won't make for unhappiness, otherwise don't.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2020/06/02 at 11:31 AM.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    291
    Thanked: 130

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    My wife has a Mini Cooper S. Its a 2009 model with 70k km on the clock , she only drives it to the kids school or the local shops. Apparently the Peugeot engine was made from paper and less reliable than a Land Rover TDV6 but so far we have had no major issues. I have been servicing it since the motorplan expired. I have only replaced the water pump, thermostat housing and water bottle as preventative maintenance items. Next I want to do the timing chain and guides as the car is not more than 10 years old.

    Still goes like a go cart and held up very well looks wise.
    I would do the guides sooner than later they are made of plastic

    They have tabs that keeps them in place now what happens is they break from age and then they drop

    When they drop is when they mess up the engine so if you start hearing when you start the car its making like a "grrr" sound- like when you have a card in your bicycle spokes then the one has already broken
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    george
    Age
    45
    Posts
    156
    Thanked: 90

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    My significant other has just purchased a Cooper, 2015 with only 18000 km, gorgeous little car, 3 cylinder 1.5 BMW motor is a gem.
    This is what i am looking at as well, for just over 200k you can get a very well looked after, still new looking, 2015 model.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    george
    Age
    45
    Posts
    156
    Thanked: 90

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    My wife has owned 2x mini's
    1 standard and the other the cooper s

    She loved them

    I would personally stay away from an auto and any of them that has the "s" bage due to problems

    Stunning cars they are reliable but have them serviced iether at bmw or sombody that only specilizes in bmw (and does no other brand but bmw)

    Confirm the service history with the dealer
    Take the vin to bmw and ask them to give you a report/printout on the car see if anything major was repaired of late if not ask the dealer to do it for you

    Maintanance is a bit expensive!and both of them did have thier issues esp doing aux belts and water pumps the "s" had developed timing chain issues(very expensive)
    And was overheating aswell

    We have now bought my wife a demo kia picanto learnt from our errors

    0km
    = no problems also way cheaper on the pocket and under warranty

    She is very happy now
    This is exactly what i posted lol, do you go 5 year old or demo kia. Obviously kia is the safest route with regards to costs per year, will keep on looking what is out there and take it from there.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    609
    Thanked: 1063

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Ja out of warranty that mini is just going to be a money pit.
    Luckily my wife's dream car is a new shape honda Jazz so I don't have this problem And that honda 1.5L is a real diamond.
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold


  14. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    george
    Age
    45
    Posts
    156
    Thanked: 90

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Ja out of warranty that mini is just going to be a money pit.
    Luckily my wife's dream car is a new shape honda Jazz so I don't have this problem And that honda 1.5L is a real diamond.
    Hi Viper, thats what i am scared off as well.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    609
    Thanked: 1063

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ezee rider View Post
    Hi Viper, thats what i am scared off as well.
    Beautiful car though!
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold


  16. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    813
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    My boss had the Paceman. Flippin nice car. Cost her a fortune on general maintenance and mags (potholes do not go with those low profiles).

    She never had any non-maintenance issues though.
    Stephan

    4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    291
    Thanked: 130

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by ezee rider View Post
    This is exactly what i posted lol, do you go 5 year old or demo kia. Obviously kia is the safest route with regards to costs per year, will keep on looking what is out there and take it from there.
    We sold the mini for the kia as it was just giving to many problems and the cost was piling up after spending another 10k(water pump and related plastic pipes(only bmw can aswer why they would they make the hot water return pipes in plastic? )
    we got the kia in 2019 and it was a 2019 demo in white 0km

    Not the base model one above for the base models price from imperial select

    She was sad to let the mini go but saw that in the long run the kia will be a way better buy

    Also has 5 doors and some boot space
    And bluetooth(was an optional extra on some mini's)

    The way i see it is its now 5 years old
    In another 5 years its 10 years and worth alot less as by calculations with your 10k km a year you would be on 120km

    I am almost certian a 5year old kia with 50k on the clock wil be valued more than the mini

    Let us know what you decide on buying
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    67
    Posts
    306
    Thanked: 460

    Smile Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    For 200K, you can buy her a REAL mini! Not that shrunk BMW! Seriously, I have a customer that only does Mini's(real ones) and he spoilt himself with a new Cooper back in 2004 or 5. He hasn't had a days trouble out of it. But you do hear horror stories about out of warranty breakdowns, and the associated pain!
    But then, if it's a Dream Car? Maybe you can live with a problem or two if they crop up
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,492
    Thanked: 2166

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    My son drives an older cooper s and he is madly in love with the car, the feed back and handling is apparently what motoring heaven is all about, his swambo drives a sirocco and when they do a road trip the mini is the weapon of choice. On running costs he has not had any nasty surprises but he is pedantic about proper service and he keeps his hand on the baby.

    For what it's worth all 3 of my boys are in to motor sport so the car knows bullying, no one drives a supercharged pocket rocket like a granny
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

    Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,738
    Thanked: 259

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Wife owned early 2000's one. BMW engine. Solid lovely little car. Also considering getting one again (station wagon type) 5door I believe.

    Was put off when my alternator packed up just after the cpa period ended. R13k eina

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wonderboom Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanked: 55

    Default Re: Mini Cooper viable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    We also looked at Mini's but the ones that we saw wasn't in good condition. We then got her dream car! Name:  20200326_190937.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  38.1 KB

    Excellent choice! Can't compare that to a Mini! Exceptional roadholding!

    Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •