Trainer in Lathe, Milling and Welding Wanted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trainer in Lathe, Milling and Welding Wanted

Hello

I want to add the ability to use a lathe, a milling machine and a TIG welder to my set of skills. I need someone to train me who has good experience in all 3 areas. I am willing to pay an hourly rate of R100. The person needs to be able to prove any claims made as to their experience.

Thanks

Default Re: Trainer in Lathe, Milling and Welding Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by aquamoon View Post
    Hello

I want to add the ability to use a lathe, a milling machine and a TIG welder to my set of skills. I need someone to train me who has good experience in all 3 areas. I am willing to pay an hourly rate of R100. The person needs to be able to prove any claims made as to their experience.

Thanks
    Do you have a lathe, milling machine and tig welder?

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Do you have a lathe, milling machine and tig welder?
    I don't but part of this process is to figure out what the best machines are for me for the kind of work I want to do.
    Last edited by aquamoon; 2020/06/02 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aquamoon View Post
    I don't but part of this process is to figure out what the best machines are for me for the kind of work I want to do.
    I started off with a myford that only could turn a chuck. It couldnt even drill.But it was great fun making pins and polishing stuff. I would start with a lathe. The bits and pieces are cheap compared to a milling machine and you can do much more.
    A milling machine is much more complex. A lathe is something where you can teach yourself.You will be suprized what you can make on a lathe when you thought you would need a mill.What line of work do you want to do. I have all the stuff you are referring to . But Im a total hacker.

You don't just learn lathes and milling machines. That's why in the old days there was an apprenticeship. Many years long, for a very good reason. You had to do time on these machines. Its not like learning a guitar, not like you just need to practice. Nothing more dangerous than a lathe, if you don't know what you doing. Good luck.
    Toyota Hilux 4x4 4 Litre
    Conquerer Courage
    KTM 690 Enduro R

There are many self taught guys around who have never had the good fortune of doing a proper apprenticeship.But it is always better to be under the guidance of a good journeyman.I wouldnt let it put you off not having proper training. But they are dangerous pieces of equipment.

But there are many sources of good tips on the internet. But if you can find a good mentor that would be great.
    But I think they are a dying breed.One thing I have noticed is that alot of self taught guys are far more creative in getting things done on minimal equipment compared to commercial shop type machinests. Its brought about through necessity.

Its actually amazing how much you can learn from watching guys on youtube .But to start on a small lathe to get to understand the basics is a good way to start.
    But you need common sense. The same applies to using anything from an angle grinder to even a thing like a drill press which is probably the cause of more accidents than a lathe because you think it cant hurt you.
    Last edited by plunger; 2020/06/03 at 12:04 AM.

Did you ever find anyone?

Sorry for the chuckkle on this side
    Plunger he will not find someone

I have all the skills he want to learn however you cant even park your car in my workshop parking lot for R100 bucks a hour
    Grensvegter van LANDROVIA

I hope he finds someone. Im also looking for a local mentor. But I can only pay in pizza and beer.

Youíve got the skills plunger, the rest comes with time
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

This is actually something lacking in this country. In the States you can do night courses for this type of thing.
    I think it would suit an old retired gentleman possibly someone like a turner machinest who is bored or would just like to keep himself busy.I think the money wouldnt come into it .

I wish I could find someone who could teach me how to do simple drawing.

If the OP has his own lathe Im always prepared to give him any advise I know but its at a hacker level.Funny how quick time goes. Ive realized that Ive been a wanna be machinest for close to fourteen years now.

I think the older generation in SA that use to work on on lathes and milling machines didnít again work on computers or no so much about social media where they could tap into to setup such a thing. But I would have also loved to have somebody that I could pay to learn some more skills.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

The first thing to do would be to enroll for N1 fitting and turning. This will give you some basic theory to work with.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

In the future it will all be computer based designs executed by CNC mills and lathes

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    In the future it will all be computer based designs executed by CNC mills and lathes
    True but the programer still needs to know how fixturing works what WOC, DOC, SFI is. Needs to know about tool deflection etc, etc. Otherwise that machine will just be a paper weight.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:

I think the world is rapidly changing. It would be interesting what the Op intends doing. If its just to help him out in some simple work I cant see why he couldnt self teach in less than a year to a level where he would push out some decent work.

But the days of knowing how to connect a universal dividing head to the leadscrew of a milling machine to do thread milling are long gone. Hell, I look at some of my books from my first trade and cant remember anything. The story of you never forget how to ride a bike does not apply to machining.

I found a little book and it was full of logarithms.Those days are long gone. I would think learning how to use a 3d printer would be far more beneficial.

I am intimidated by computers so the learning curve just to draw is a big one. I would love to be able to learn to draw as well as use a cnc lathe and vmc.I actually have work for them as well and sub it out.
    But these machines are hectically expensive. A 3d printer not so much.Can you imagine where we will be in ten years from now.I suspect every household will have one .

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I think the world is rapidly changing. It would be interesting what the Op intends doing. If its just to help him out in some simple work I cant see why he couldnt self teach in less than a year to a level where he would push out some decent work.

But the days of knowing how to connect a universal dividing head to the leadscrew of a milling machine to do thread milling are long gone. Hell, I look at some of my books from my first trade and cant remember anything. The story of you never forget how to ride a bike does not apply to machining.

I found a little book and it was full of logarithms.Those days are long gone. I would think learning how to use a 3d printer would be far more beneficial.

I am intimidated by computers so the learning curve just to draw is a big one. I would love to be able to learn to draw as well as use a cnc lathe and vmc.I actually have work for them as well and sub it out.
    But these machines are hectically expensive. A 3d printer not so much.Can you imagine where we will be in ten years from now.I suspect every household will have one .

Thanks for the constructive and supportive comments. Some background to me. I am an electrical engineer who chose software engineering as a career. Am well versed in all things electronic - design and construction. I am a software development professional and dabble with mechanical engineering. I know 3d cad software reasonably well, currently use Fusion 360. Know how a CNC machine is put together, electric and software, just don't have the knowledge to build it (unless it’s a router made from aluminium extrusion, but those have their issues) or use it.

In the past I have taught myself many skills, just by researching and experimentation, however it can be a time-consuming process and having someone to guide me would be way more efficient and probably save me money. I have a number of projects I want to make, so, while I enjoy the learning process, I would rather invest the time in those projects using the skills. I have watched a ton of YouTube videos so understand the basic lathe and milling processes. I thought about 3D printing but in all honesty the types of materials available to print with doesn't inspire me, the hobby-based stuff is of limited use.

A while back I taught myself woodworking. When buying equipment, it was easy as there are a lot of options in the midrange, e.g. I standardised on Bosch machines mostly, and knew I couldrely on the brand in terms of quality and servicing. In this world, however, itseems to be different, many guys buy an old machine, which in its day was a high-quality machine. As someone with no practical experience I worry that I won’t know what to look for and land up with a lemon. Some guys buy lower cost Chinese imported machines, the likelihood of landing up with a lemon is just as great. Pity Bosch doesn’t make a lathe and/or milling machine. Something you could start out as a manual machine and later retrofit with a CNC kit.
    Last edited by aquamoon; 2020/06/08 at 10:50 AM.

An honest question. What is your hourly rate compared to what you are willing to pay someone to "educate" you?
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    True but the programer still needs to know how fixturing works what WOC, DOC, SFI is. Needs to know about tool deflection etc, etc. Otherwise that machine will just be a paper weight.
    Very true. Easy to get a button pusher to operate a CNC machine. I even had my daughter running a Haas CNC lathe during the December holidays with about 30 minutes of training. Programming it correctly and efficiently is another matter

When you get down it the CNC machine allows for increased production and repeatability, but the actual machining has not changed much
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Eveleigh View Post
    An honest question. What is your hourly rate compared to what you are willing to pay someone to "educate" you?

I dont see the relevance of your question, people are free to choose wether they accept the offer or not, I'm not trying to force anyone to "educate" me. What you see as a small amount of money may well be a lot to someone else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast