Trainer in Lathe, Milling and Welding Wanted - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Trainer in Lathe, Milling and Welding Wanted

Man, I am going to be controversial, without intending to be. I am of the opinion, that "you" would be able to perform brain surgery, after a couple of months' training. Now, this might only be a single procedure, you might not even know what the procedure is called but with enough practice, it can be done. The patient might even live. You do not always need the theory in order to be taught and to perform the task at hand.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

Quote Originally Posted by aquamoon View Post
    Thanks for the constructive and supportive comments. Some background to me. I am an electrical engineer who chose software engineering as a career. Am well versed in all things electronic - design and construction. I am a software development professional and dabble with mechanical engineering. I know 3d cad software reasonably well, currently use Fusion 360. Know how a CNC machine is put together, electric and software, just don't have the knowledge to build it (unless itís a router made from aluminium extrusion, but those have their issues) or use it.

In the past I have taught myself many skills, just by researching and experimentation, however it can be a time-consuming process and having someone to guide me would be way more efficient and probably save me money. I have a number of projects I want to make, so, while I enjoy the learning process, I would rather invest the time in those projects using the skills. I have watched a ton of YouTube videos so understand the basic lathe and milling processes. I thought about 3D printing but in all honesty the types of materials available to print with doesn't inspire me, the hobby-based stuff is of limited use.

A while back I taught myself woodworking. When buying equipment, it was easy as there are a lot of options in the midrange, e.g. I standardised on Bosch machines mostly, and knew I couldrely on the brand in terms of quality and servicing. In this world, however, itseems to be different, many guys buy an old machine, which in its day was a high-quality machine. As someone with no practical experience I worry that I wonít know what to look for and land up with a lemon. Some guys buy lower cost Chinese imported machines, the likelihood of landing up with a lemon is just as great. Pity Bosch doesnít make a lathe and/or milling machine. Something you could start out as a manual machine and later retrofit with a CNC kit.
    Yo are well equipped with the fact you can cad and have worked with your hands. Machining is not hard.
    Safety first and then common sense and practice.
    I can help you telephonically for free. But just remember I am not a machinest and will be found wanting in certain areas.
    I am an imposter

Most people here know me as a plumber. What they dont know is I did my time as a tool and die maker at Hart ltd and passed my Oliesfontein trade test as a tool,jig and die maker.So officially I am trade tested but in reality Im like Aubrey the recce..With regards to tooling try buy individual machines,not 3 in 1 machines. Try buy old iron,chinese stuff is junk. Taiwanese stuff is good.
    Gotta go now but I would start with a decent lathe and just get going and as I have said I can help you where I can but I have my short comings.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

Ekurhuleni artisan skills training centre.

Welding, etc. older skilled trainers.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Yo are well equipped with the fact you can cad and have worked with your hands. Machining is not hard.
    I can help you telephonically for free. But just remember I am not a machinest and will be found wanting in certain areas.
    I am an imposter

Most people here know me as a plumber. What they dont know is I did my time as a tool and die maker at Hart ltd and passed my Oliesfontein trade test as a tool,jig and die maker.So officially I am trade tested but in reality Im like Aubrey the recce..With regards to tooling try buy individual machines,not 3 in 1 machines. Try buy old iron,chinese stuff is junk. Taiwanese stuff is good.
    Gotta go now but I would start with a decent lathe and just get going and as I have said I can help you where I can but I have my short comings.
    Nah I dont think there are many people here that think of you as the run of the mill Lavetrician
    I looked at the stuff you make aand then your first video.... anyone with 2 brain cells can see that you are not just a bakkie plumber your creations are far too meticulous
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

I am an imposter

Plunger I have been following your posts for quite awhile. Your lathe skills told me from day one that you did not train by watching Youtube video`s. I myself did time behind lathes and milling machines including the old shapers. You can certainly learn form Youtube but those finer skills are never shown.

Had a good smile at the start of lockdown. My eldest build a 50mm pipe bender. While making the die he borrowed several ideas from Youtube. Made a tool that were used by the Youtubers. Told him jy gaan sukkel. He did not believe me. After a few frustrating hours behind the lathe he were about to give up. Help him to make a radius gauge and a old school radius tungsten tool. Hour later job were done
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I think the world is rapidly changing. It would be interesting what the Op intends doing. If its just to help him out in some simple work I cant see why he couldnt self teach in less than a year to a level where he would push out some decent work.

But the days of knowing how to connect a universal dividing head to the leadscrew of a milling machine to do thread milling are long gone. Hell, I look at some of my books from my first trade and cant remember anything. The story of you never forget how to ride a bike does not apply to machining.

I found a little book and it was full of logarithms.Those days are long gone. I would think learning how to use a 3d printer would be far more beneficial.

I am intimidated by computers so the learning curve just to draw is a big one. I would love to be able to learn to draw as well as use a cnc lathe and vmc.I actually have work for them as well and sub it out.
    But these machines are hectically expensive. A 3d printer not so much.Can you imagine where we will be in ten years from now.I suspect every household will have one .
    Somewhere between your and my age there is a split, I wonder if it is a hard line between guys that feel like you, and guys like me that feel the complete opposite, or if there are a few years worth of ones that get to sit in the pound seats and understand both the manual, as well as computer/CNC/CAD/CAM stuff. I hope so
    Office Johnny

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold

I am very much like Plunger in this regard.

I grew up on a farm, and grew up with all things practical, way before things like computers, cellphones, internet, social media and YouTube. Hell, the first "vehicle" I ever drove was a D9 caterpillar at the age of 10. Then progressed to my dad's '74 FJ45. I couldn't see over the steering, so looked through it. I think my dad would turn in his grave if he knew all the places I took it.

But I digress. At school I wanted to do woodwork. The answer was no, the Afrikaans classes did woodwork, English did metalwork. The school would not budge on that. So metalwork it was. Learned to operate a lathe, a drill press, how to use a file and hacksaw correctly, learned to weld, braze, silver solder, shape metal, cut threads, draw machine parts, etc, etc. My curiosity always had the better of me, especially when it came to how things worked. If something was broken, my view was "It's broken already, it cannot get any worse. So at least strip it and see how it works." 9 times out of 10 I ended up repairing whatever it was.

Got my first (broken) motorcycle at 10. (Got it in exchange for my surfboard, which I got in exchange for 2 boxes of .22 ammo) My dad laughed when he first saw the bike, with the comment "You'll never get that thing running, but bring it home. It will keep you out of my hair." 2 days later I was roaring around all over on it.

One day my dad gave me an old Grundig valve radio. First thing I did was open it up, and there started my interest in electronics.

Fast forward 8 years, I ended up studying electronics. Fast forward another 5 years, I ended up as an Electronic Technician with ADS. Then computers arrived, sparking my interest in software. Fast forward another 27 years to 2010, now fully qualified/certified in Unix, Solaris, VMS, Microsoft, Cisco and network design, I find myself out on the pavement with a healthy section 189 cheque in my hand.

So I reverted back to my first love of all things practical. Since I had always remained dabbling with motorcycles, first as a hobby and then as a bit a sideline, I thought "Let me just carry on with the sideline for 2 or 3 months until I can find another job." Fast forward another 10 years, and I have yet to find time to look for another job.

While I am by no means qualified in toolmaking or machining of any kind, I fake it and get by. To my amusement, I have actually on a number of occasions been offered jobs by engineering shops in town who are under the impression that I am qualified. I have been collecting tools since I was 13, and I have almost everything I need. (or is that want?) Lathe, Milling Machine, drill press, Tig Welder, Oxy/Acetylene set, 12 ton Press, Tyre changing machine, Compressor, Sand blasting kit, Bead blasting kit, parts washer, etc, etc, etc. I just hope that one day my wife doesn't sell it all for what I told her I paid for it.
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by aquamoon View Post
    I dont see the relevance of your question, people are free to choose wether they accept the offer or not, I'm not trying to force anyone to "educate" me. What you see as a small amount of money may well be a lot to someone else.
    I agree with this sentiment. You can't go on social media and not see a picture of a middle aged white guy with a list of qualifications and years of experience unable to find employment. Add BBBEE and Covid-19 unemployment into the same mixing bowl and all of a sardine R500 for a mornings work doesn't seem like such a ### idea anymore. In this day and age you can count your blessings if you are able to pull your nose up at honest labour. As an Advanced Life Support Paramedic with 15 Years experience I make R100 an hour for a 12 hour Locum shift an EMS Helicopter and no overtime or benefits.

If your over-inflated sense of self importance makes you feel like a R100 an hour is to little that is your right but don't knock a guy for trying

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

I am an imposter

Thanks Plunger, I may well take you up on the offer. I will start looking for a lathe. Any suggestions on the best place to look?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2