SHOULD I BUY A 2010 Suzuki Jimny??

Default SHOULD I BUY A 2010 Suzuki Jimny??

Good Day,

I am new to this forum and all the information has been quiet helpful.

I currently drive a toyota etios but I want to get a 4x4 with a budget of around R150 000.

Initially I wanted to get a secondhand LC Prado 120 with around 250 000km on, but the high kilometers and high fuel consumption has scared me off. I then started looking at Suzuki Jimny's as they are quiet light on fuel for my everyday trips to work and back but I will then also be able to use it to go to Mozambique, Namibia, Botswana, Kalahari Safari etc etc.

I do not plan on having children within the next 3 years and so it will only be myself and a partner so I don't think space should be an issue.

I have found a 2010 Jimny for R120 000 and 130 000 km for sale, is this a decent price? It will allow for some modifications such as roof rack, protection under the car, etc.

Should I get this one of rather look for a lower km and newer year model? This would obviously cost a bit more and limit the modifications that I can do right away.

Look forward to your feedback

Default Re: SHOULD I BUY A 2010 Suzuki Jimny??

Yes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gertstellies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Juter View Post
    Good Day,

I currently drive a toyota etios but I want to get a 4x4 with a budget of around R150 000.

Initially I wanted to get a secondhand LC Prado 120 with around 250 000km on, but the high kilometers and high fuel consumption has scared me off. I then started looking at Suzuki Jimny's as they are quiet light on fuel for my everyday trips to work and back but I will then also be able to use it to go to Mozambique, Namibia, Botswana, Kalahari Safari etc etc.

I do not plan on having children within the next 3 years and so it will only be myself and a partner so I don't think space should be an issue.

I have found a 2010 Jimny for R120 000 and 130 000 km for sale, is this a decent price? It will allow for some modifications such as roof rack, protection under the car, etc.

Should I get this one of rather look for a lower km and newer year model? This would obviously cost a bit more and limit the modifications that I can do right away.

My thoughts, since I did what you are trying to do in 2013:

Jimnies are not that light on fuel. But most assuredly they are lighter on fuel than your other options.

Two people in a Jimny can work for over-landing but you must learn the concept of packing light and smart. Take the rear seats out. Overlanding in a Jimny is not Ideal. But possible and I certainly do not have much complaints.

Cannot comment on the mileage but there will be more to check out on a second hand jimny than just mileage. Damage (both physically and to electronics) and other wear itmes. I changed my jimnys clutch near 100k km. Maybe you should also make sure if that was done.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Juter this is the "wrong" sub-forum, there is a Suzuki section where you'll get more informed advice - as a vehicle there is nothing wrong with it. Maybe repost there or ask the mods to move the post for you?

Having said that, I think in your circumstances it sounds if the Suzuki is the better vehicle for you especially if it is just the 2 of you - it is excellent off road so no worries there.

Oh, welcome to the forum, be ready for lots of advice, the Suzuki bunch are quite active and passionate (like most of us about or brands)!
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Juter View Post
    Good Day,

130 000Km is reasonably low mileage for a Jimny. The main draw back the Jimny has for overlanding is the fuel range. It is very tempting to put a lift kit and bigger tyres on, however, this has a marked impact on fuel consumption, and it best to fit a set of all terrain tyres in the stock size.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

In 2012 I had the exact same scenario. I went and did a test drive and I did not like the Jimny. Wait, let me rephrase, it was perfect in every aspect but one - cruising at 120. And our holidays are (and were) always long distance trips, with 95% tar to destination, 4% gravel and 1% where 4x4 is required. Even on a Botswana off the beaten track trip that is "wild" the ratio changes to about 80/15/5. So what I am saying is that most time is spent on tar roads and for me, the car has to be comfortable.

So I had a Terios 4x4 Off-Road for 3 years before I bought a Trailblazer and then later an Isuzu. The Terios did everything we needed, but also took us to our December holidays at the coast, Kruger Park trips etc. In my mind, the Terios was a better fit, and even that had limited power at 120.

Having said that, the Jimny is a great car. And if you are happy with a 1.3 engine, then it has no competition.

That's my 2 cents from personal experience and the reasoning behind the choice I made.
    Last edited by Groenman; 2020/05/15 at 03:04 PM.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    In 2012 I had the exact same scenario. I went and did a test drive and I did not like the Jimny. Wait, let me rephrase, it was perfect in every aspect but one - cruising at 120. And our holidays are (and were) always long distance trips, with 95% tar to destination, 4% gravel and 1% where 4x4 is required. Even on a Botswana off the beaten track trip that is "wild" the ratio changes to about 80/15/5. So what I am saying is that most time is spent on tar roads and for me, the car has to be comfortable.

So I had a Terios 4x4 Off-Road for 3 years before I bought a Trailblazer and then later an Isuzu. The Terios did everything we needed, but also took us to our December holidays at the coast, Kruger Park trips etc. In my mind, the Terios was a better fit, and even that had limited power at 120.

Having said that, the Jimny is a great car. And if you are happy with a 1.3 engine, then it has no competition.

That's my 2 cents from personal experience and the reasoning behind the choice I made.

Jimny can do 120. At 140 the engine is kinda screaming blue murder...

Edit: But overtaking also requires some planning. Maybe I just got used to it, but it wasn't that bad to me...

Looks like be were in similar situations. We made our Jimny work... Here was our itinerary... https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...MBO?highlight=
    Last edited by New; 2020/05/15 at 03:20 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

250k MIlage is not particularly high for a Prado. Even less so if it comes with a full service history. THe Prado will give you 8km/L on and offroad yes, but more than enough space, towing capacity etc. The 4.0l V6 will go anywhere and spare parts should not be an issue

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

To buy or not to buy a Jimny.....
    Jimny owners will say yes, it is a great little 4x4, at significantly less cost than the nearest competition.
    But it is slow, has little packing space, and not that light on fuel.
    Driving like an old lady you may just get about 400Km on tank of fuel.

Well, I have two of them
    I have the scoopy bonnet previous model that I took the rear seats out for extra space, upgraded suspension and front bumper.
    It is my offroad and camping fun car.
    Also went mad and bought the new model, I drive that when I feel like behaving myself

So, being a Jimny owner, I say yes, get one, you will not regret it.

A short story, one of my co-workers drives a fancy BMW, I have no idea which one, "platkarre" do not interest me....
    Anyway, he starts asking about the Jimny, has it got this, has it got that, all the fancy stuff like bluetooth, electric windows, mirrors, speed control etc.
    And since the new model has all that, he was quiet for a bit, then asked me what the wind noise at speed was like.
    Straightfaced, I replied, "a Jimny does not go fast enough to have wind noise"
    The look on his face was classic ......
    Last edited by Gustav Jimny; 2020/05/17 at 11:53 AM.
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

I own both the jimny, and the 4.0 v6 fortuner.

Had a 2011 jimny, and now the 2013 facelift Jimny. Jimnies are great, maintanance easy and cheap when u do it yourself(dealers r rip-offs, but what dealer aint?)....To own the Jimny is a culture, and lots of jimny owners swear by it, myself included.

I overlanded with my 2011 jimny which was modded to do so, drove where the big boys drove but the packing thing became an issue as my camping requirements grew...and to push 120 on long distance travelling fully loaded where there are hills etc wasnt that easy and it became a noisance.

I then got the 4.0 just for camping/traveling purposes, and missed my 2011 jimny so much that I now own a 2013 Jimny for city and playing and left it somewhat standard, compared to my Fortuner.

Fuel wise: Jimnys arent light on fuel compared to other 1.3 engines...100% fact.
    My jimnys gave/gives me between 9kml-11kml depending on my foot.

On my fortuner 4.0 between 5kml-7ml also depending my foot.

Should you buy it? Answer is YES!!!! go for the jimny IF u want best of both(camp and city)....

But think very carefully if u want to buy it for traveling purposes only. Your camping ideas will be restricted compared to the bigger vehicles. (Do-able though, depends from person to person)

Goofster

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goofy50 For This Useful Post:

Mine is 2011 and not for sale - no offers will be considered.

You have excellent info in these posts.

Frustrations many - be warned!: Small tank, 1.3 engine, hills with lots of gear changing, lowish clearance compared to some 4x4's and you are restricted on the legal weight you can carry compared to the big 4x4's. Packing for a trip is a challenge until you have learnt how. From a personal comfort point of view I don't like driving more than 500km (tar) at a stretch on trips (long legs) thus we usually overnight along the way.

We overland in ours and go anywhere:
    Take the rear seat out and you can overland. We have a hard shell RTT, also carry a 52l fridge and cooler box, 3m gazebo, about 4+/- ammo boxes (depends on the trip), 2 camp chairs, 3 small tables, food, tools, clothes, jerry can for fuel and water and solar panels. We downsized all our previous trip kit for Jimny so that it is foldable and light (aluminium). That included chairs, tables, stoves, and collapsible crockery and kettles etc.

Best advice before you buy - take a Jimny for a spin on the highway where there are some hills and see if you like it. As I said many frustrations but we have had such fun!
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2020/05/17 at 02:21 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

I have had a few 4x4's and the Jimny had a fun factor virtually none of the others had. They take themselves too seriously. a Jimny feels like a toy. Now this can be taken exactly as it reads. On long serious trips it will do it, but you will feel you are driving a toy but for reasons you may or may not enjoy that much, however in the dirt and when the going gets tough or even in the suburbs, it will also feel like a toy, for all the right (er wrong?) reasons.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.