New fireplace (and supporting community)

Default New fireplace (and supporting community)

Where possible I also try and support private business, and if happens to be someone in this community even better. BUT the price and service still needs to be right.

I've been toying with the idea of a closed combustion fireplace for the open plan TV room for a while now but the prices was always eyewatering. Following on another post regarding fireplaces I made contact with Rudi on the forum at https://www.thefireplacecompany.co.za/ for some advise.

He gave me some brilliant advice and came up with a competitive quote and was willing to ship the fireplace to me up in JHB. So did the deal, paid my money and within 2 days the fireplace was delivered to me on Friday. Over the weekend I spent probably about 5 hours installing it (if it wasn't for the fact that I got old and soft sitting behind a desk for 8 hours a day it would have been a lot faster)

Fired it up Saturday and Sunday evenings and it makes a massive difference to the house. Still playing around with the airflow controls to get maximum efficiency out of it but so far I'm really impressed with how little wood you actually consume. The good wood logs recommended by someone in another thread also arrived on Saturday, much neater and cleaner to work with but I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the concept.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaggel3.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	573933

I have no affiliation to Rudi or his company, just want to highlight brilliant service.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New fireplace (and supporting community)

Very nice. I've had one in my life for the last 10 years. Cannot do without. It's the highlight of the winter season for me. Even collecting and preparing firewood has become a ritual form throughout the year. I've never tried the fancy logs you have there.

I even cook on/in mine. Lekker for a quick braai or anything really.

You definitely need to move that painting further away from the heat source.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    2010 Bombardier Electrostar 746 kw - Gautrain (Daily Commute)

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    You definitely need to move that painting further away from the heat source.
    Swambo wanted it in the middle of wall relative to the chimney.... the angle is a bit deceptive, painting is further away than it looks. I will monitor how hot it gets before I open that can of worms.

Not sure if I will try cooking on it, but boiling water for tea worked very well (if a bit slow)
    Last edited by mullerza; 2020/06/01 at 12:47 PM.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    Where possible I also try and support private business, and if happens to be someone in this community even better. BUT the price and service still needs to be right.

I've been toying with the idea of a closed combustion fireplace for the open plan TV room for a while now but the prices was always eyewatering. Following on another post regarding fireplaces I made contact with Rudi on the forum at https://www.thefireplacecompany.co.za/ for some advise.

He gave me some brilliant advice and came up with a competitive quote and was willing to ship the fireplace to me up in JHB. So did the deal, paid my money and within 2 days the fireplace was delivered to me on Friday. Over the weekend I spent probably about 5 hours installing it (if it wasn't for the fact that I got old and soft sitting behind a desk for 8 hours a day it would have been a lot faster)

Fired it up Saturday and Sunday evenings and it makes a massive difference to the house. Still playing around with the airflow controls to get maximum efficiency out of it but so far I'm really impressed with how little wood you actually consume. The good wood logs recommended by someone in another thread also arrived on Saturday, much neater and cleaner to work with but I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the concept.

I have no affiliation to Rudi or his company, just want to highlight brilliant service.
    Did it come with the stainless steel? Chrome flue?
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    Did it come with the stainless steel? Chrome flue?
    Stainless steel, also supplied by Rudi

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Congrats, they are the best things in winter.
    Do yourself a favour though, go and Google Upside down fires. This technique works brilliantly in these stoves.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chingha For This Useful Post:

Gotta ask - what was the price? A pet peeve of mine is checking out products on a website, but then there's no price listed and you have to contact them for a price. I lose interest immediately..

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Just lit mine, going to be warm tonight.

I also got a fireplace from Rudi here on the forum, I must admit it was great service and well priced.

I am absolutely loving my fire, have wanted one for ages and decided to bite the bullet. Don't know why I waited so long. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200527_162353.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	574040

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nedge For This Useful Post:

What was the total cost at the end ?
    Last edited by TJWM; 2020/06/01 at 11:25 PM.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B
    -----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    What was the total cost at the end ?
    All in about R19.5k without labour

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Hi Mullerza

Looks great! What was the 'KW' (?) in the end, and your room's volume?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Hi Mullerza

Looks great! What was the 'KW' (?) in the end, and your room's volume?

Thanks
    11kw, main room is around 90m2 with the kitchen leading off the the side and a big (4m wide window) close to the fireplace so its not the most efficient space to heat.

I have learnt to fire it in the late afternoon and not wait till evening, once the room feels cold you play catchup to try and heat it. Also with the unit weighing in at 120kg it soaks up a lot of heat before radiating into the room
    Last edited by mullerza; 2020/06/02 at 11:27 AM.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chingha View Post
    Congrats, they are the best things in winter.
    Do yourself a favour though, go and Google Upside down fires. This technique works brilliantly in these stoves.
    been using that technique on my open fireplace for a while now. Easier to light, burns better and apparently better for the environment as it burns much cleaner.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

THANK YOU GREGORY AND ANTON, both of you were a pleasure to deal with. Looking at the installation pictures I now have two new installers in the JHB area, well done.

If allowed, Dirk please delete if not. I would gladly assist anybody looking at buying a fireplace even if its not my own brand. You can mail me at [email protected] or send me a PM and I will forward my cell number.

* First thing to do when considering buying a fireplace is to take a tape measure and actually measure the dimensions of the room.
    * Don't try and count steps, you are going to spend a few thousand bucks, so do it right.
    * L x W x H = Cubic volume
    * For every 20 - 25 cubic meters you need 1 Kw to heat sufficiently. (Also take into consideration tile floors, insulation, stack doors, and windows.
    * This will give you a good indication of size and price range.
    * Always try and find a spot as central as possible to the area you want to heat.

I see someone commented about our brand being Chinese, we have dealt with this foundry for 20 years and are one of only 2 to 3 brands that
    actually give a 10 guarantee on our fireplaces, we also have an extensive parts bin with all components available over the counter 99% of times. We even stock parts of units discontinued 9 years ago. As I say to a lot of clients. Not everything from China is bad, it is the consumer that want to pay less and less and that is why there are so many inferior products that drive the price. Our products are designed in Europe and produced in China, these are also tested and certified with European CE Certification.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RudiConradie For This Useful Post:

11kw, main room is around 90m2 with the kitchen leading off the the side and a big (4m wide window) close to the fireplace so its not the most efficient space to heat.

I have learnt to fire it in the late afternoon and not wait till evening, once the room feels cold you play catchup to try and heat it. Also with the unit weighing in at 120kg it soaks up a lot of heat before radiating into the room
    Thanks for the info Mullerza (and Rudi) - appreciated!
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/06/02 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RudiConradie View Post
    I see someone commented about our brand being Chinese, we have dealt with this foundry for 20 years and are one of only 2 to 3 brands that
    actually give a 10 guarantee on our fireplaces, we also have an extensive parts bin with all components available over the counter 99% of times. We even stock parts of units discontinued 9 years ago. As I say to a lot of clients. Not everything from China is bad, it is the consumer that want to pay less and less and that is why there are so many inferior products that drive the price. Our products are designed in Europe and produced in China, these are also tested and certified with European CE Certification.
    You will be surprised how many supposedly European manufactured products are actually made in China with final "assembly" in say Germany in order to call it made in Germany.

I was very impressed with the quality of the castings and the finish on the stove

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

"Not everything from China is bad, it is the consumer that want to pay less and less and that is why there are so many inferior products that drive the price. Our products are designed in Europe and produced in China,"

I could not agree more, there are hordes of "look alike" products manufactured in China, to meet the lowest price point possible.

They manufacture to "levels" ie. top level is great quality, but not cheap, down to cheap, but you get what you get in terms of quality.

In a lot of cases, no one looks beyond the picture, so cannot see and feel the difference.

I do pumps, and my one model is roughly 20% heavier than some "equivalents"

As most of the weight is in the motor, the savings are coming from less copper (expensive component) in the motor, thus less resilience to dirty power and voltage fluctuation.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

Ok so been wondering how they rate these fireplaces. How do I know that the fireplace that is rated 10kw really is putting out 10kw? Is there a way of actually measuring it.

I've come a cross 2 retailers selling the same fireplace, one rates it 10kw the other 11.5kw how is that? Specs look identical, does one come with something the other doesn't?

Interested to know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 11.32.06 AM 1.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	327.9 KB 
ID:	576241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 11.34.06 AM.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	576242  

Quote Originally Posted by barman1965 View Post
    Ok so been wondering how they rate these fireplaces. How do I know that the fireplace that is rated 10kw really is putting out 10kw? Is there a way of actually measuring it.

I've come a cross 2 retailers selling the same fireplace, one rates it 10kw the other 11.5kw how is that? Specs look identical, does one come with something the other doesn't?

Interested to know
    Wrt the add the variance is the floor coverage that is changing the kw output

And it seems dependent on the celing height?
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI