Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Telescope for swambo?

Thats a great price for the little Mak , however I believe that Meade have filed for bankruptcy , not sure how that will effect thinks but getting a scope from Loots will give 0% help if the scope does not perform properly.
    I have a similar scope a Meade ETX 90 , great performer for its size

I would probably get this scope as for that price its not much more than just a OTA on its own, a 90mm Mak sell for around R5k for the tube only.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

that is an absolute steal
    Jeep Cherokee 2006 KJ CRD
    2" OME Lift

Quote Originally Posted by John Lindsay View Post
    that is an absolute steal
    Hi John.
    Yes i thought so as well and bought it
    Now luckily the search is over, well almost.
    You got any ideas where to get a moon filter and a carry bag perhaps?
    Was reading that I need to have a moon filter for swambo and a few different colour lenses?
    Stefan

2020 Land Cruiser 79 D/C with a ferw extra's
    2023 Toyota Corolla Cross 1.8 XR (Swambo platkar)
    2022 VW Caddy (daily platkar)
    2022 Raasblaar 4 sleeper Caravan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4Superman For This Useful Post:

Well done - that is a very suitable telescope for a beginner and I'm sure that you will both enjoy it. Moon filters - the Telescope shop or Eridanusoptics.com in Pretoria. Don't buy the Celestron moon filter - it has a nasty green colour cast and is not good quality. Buy a celestron 13 % ND filter or you can buy an Orion moon filter from Eridanus - I have the Orion, very happy with the quality. Don't waste your money on colour filters - they really don't make any difference in 95% of situations. If you have to get one, just get an 80A blue filter - supposed to give a bit more contrast on Jupiter and good for the moon - I hardly ever find that mine actually makes a noticeable difference.

Also don't be lured into buying a set of eyepieces in a case - these are, unless hideously expensive, not very good. Once you build a bit of experience you will know what you want and can then buy one or two good quality eyepieces to satisfy your needs.

You may want to consider getting a 2 x Barlow lens. This doubles your eyepiece magnification so with the 26mm and 9mm eyepieces that come with your scope you would have in effect 26mm, 13mm, 9mm and 4.5mm which is a nice spread. The shorter the eyepiece focal length, the greater the magnification. Celestron make good Barlows and the GSO shorty Barlow which Eridanus sells is excellent.

My daughter and I both use rigid containers lined with foam rubber to transport our scopes. Anything will do if it is well padded.

If I can extend some advice for your first attempts? Your scope will come with a red dot finder which you will use to initially align the go-to computer. Take some time and get this accurately set up, or you will be chasing your tail when trying to align and the go-to will not be very accurate. Set up on a distant tree or pole etc during the day - as far away as you can get. Centre this object in your scope, moving the scope manually. Attach the red dot finder and get it set up to superimpose the red spot exactly on to the distant object. This will help you to easily get your alignment stars into the field of view. When I align, I pick up a star with my red dot finder, get into the field of view of my 24mm eyepiece and get it centred. Then I go to an 8mm eyepiece which has a much narrower field of view and re-center the same star before pushing the šlign"button. Repeat for each star you are lining up on - they don't have to be in focus during this process, just in the middle of the FOV. The more care you put into initial alignment, the more accurately the go-to works.

And most importantly, have fun!!!!!
    2" OME Lift

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John Lindsay For This Useful Post:

Oh and I almost forgot - Pretty much essential is a 12v DC power supply suitable for your scope so you can run on mains power, or a cigarette lighter lead for when you go out camping. The AA batteries in the scope will not last long at all.
    2" OME Lift

8. The Following User Says Thank You to John Lindsay For This Useful Post:

Hi John

Truly thank you for th advice and guidence. Much appreciated.
    I have ordered the meade moon filter and mead carry bag. For now i think it is enough, and as you say, 1st play around and get used to the scope before buying all the stuff whih i wont use.
    I am excited for the scope to arrive and will give feedback once i receive it.
    Happy times
    Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Superman View Post
    Hi John

Truly thank you for th advice and guidence. Much appreciated.
    I have ordered the meade moon filter and mead carry bag. For now i think it is enough, and as you say, 1st play around and get used to the scope before buying all the stuff whih i wont use.
    I am excited for the scope to arrive and will give feedback once i receive it.
    Happy times
    I am interested to know if you have received your telescope and what your out the box experience with it is. I would like to suggest that you reach out to a local astronomy club to give you guidance regarding the telescope as manuals etc may leave you wanting.
    Marius Reitz
    Nissan Xtrail
    Astronomy and Telescopes

• 13.1 inch custom built truss telescope on a dobsonian mount
    • 10 inch Meade SCT on a CGEM mount
    • 8 inch Celestron SCT Powerstar
    • 8 inch Skywatcher reflector on a Celestron CGEM mount
    • 12 inch Orion SkyQuest
    • 5 inch Alter Maksutov Cassegrain on a EQ4 mount
    • 15x70 Celestron Skymaster binoculars on a parallelogram mount

Come visit us at Leeuwenboschfontein Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
    I am interested to know if you have received your telescope and what your out the box experience with it is. I would like to suggest that you reach out to a local astronomy club to give you guidance regarding the telescope as manuals etc may leave you wanting.
    Hi Marius

Yes i received the telescope. Looks impressive and all was in order in the box. Setup was easy, but saying that, there are so much to learn.
    We havent really had time to sit and use it for long periods, only one or two quick sessions.
    Its all still new to us and i totally agree, we wil have to attend an astronomy event to learn from the pro's. Watching youtube videos and reading helps a bit, but damn, didn't know there were so many variances for the scope. Filters, eye pieces, enhancers, etc
    But so far, we really enjoy it.
    Any poinsters is always welcome for sure.
    Stefan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2