DIY - Alcohol Pot Still using a Copper Water Geyser - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Default Re: DIY - Alcohol Pot Still using a Copper Water Geyser

@IceAge

Did you use aircon soft pipe for you parrot bends or hard drawn straight drawn?

[QUOTE=Andrew Leigh;4452125

Is that the element shroud that you used from the geyser as the first part of you upright? Never thought of that but may well be ingenious for my application.[/QUOTE]

Andrew, the ‘kettle’ I got from Skoonpa who used it to stook. Whether it was purpose built or repurposed from something else I do not know. The lid had a small nozzle to which he connected a piece of plastic pipe that fed into a bucket with a spiral tube in a bucket for cooling. After doing some research and getting good advise on this thread I decided to build a vapour chamber (900mm) from 52mm copper tube which is the part you referring to. I basically cut the nozzle off and after enlarging the whole where the nozzle was to 52mm soldered it onto the lid. The rest is basically a combination of 22mm and 15mm copper piping I got from the Plumblink and Chamberlains. At the top of the vapour chamber I drilled a small hole into which I insert the temperature probe of my electronic thermometer allowing me to control the temperature at the top very easily. I use a flour seal for both the lid and the probe which works well

The ‘ornamental’ stuff I used on the Parot is 8mm aircon tubing which is soft and quite pliable if handled with care hence not too difficult to bend in the shape I made it in. I love making these sort of stuff. Just need to do some polishing and sealing to make it look shiny...
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Andrew, the ‘kettle’ I got from Skoonpa who used it to stook. Whether it was purpose built or repurposed from something else I do not know. The lid had a small nozzle to which he connected a piece of plastic pipe that fed into a bucket with a spiral tube in a bucket for cooling. After doing some research and getting good advise on this thread I decided to build a vapour chamber (900mm) from 52mm copper tube which is the part you referring to. I basically cut the nozzle off and after enlarging the whole where the nozzle was to 52mm soldered it onto the lid. The rest is basically a combination of 22mm and 15mm copper piping I got from the Plumblink and Chamberlains. At the top of the vapour chamber I drilled a small hole into which I insert the temperature probe of my electronic thermometer allowing me to control the temperature at the top very easily. I use a flour seal for both the lid and the probe which works well

The ‘ornamental’ stuff I used on the Parot is 8mm aircon tubing which is soft and quite pliable if handled with care hence not too difficult to bend in the shape I made it in. I love making these sort of stuff. Just need to do some polishing and sealing to make it look shiny...
    Is the aircon tube 8mm ID? If so what is the OD?

This is what the top of Oupa's still looks like, the one end of a standard geyser. Was wondering?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geyser.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	584090

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Is the aircon tube 8mm ID? If so what is the OD
    The OD is 9mm and the ID is 7mm give or take. The reason I say so is that it is not 100% round anymore due to me bending and shaping it. The piping is freely availible from places that sell aircon equipment. In Pretoria van Biljoens have...
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

Talking Fermenters now.

This is my 50l fermenter, 300W Aquarium Heater.

Name:	Barrel with Heater.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	584462

No. 0 Gland is perfect for the Airlock

Name:	Barrel with Airlock.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	584463

Doing my first wash this weekend.