DIY - Alcohol Pot Still using a Copper Water Geyser - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: DIY - Alcohol Pot Still using a Copper Water Geyser

Next Step - Make a Insulated Cap for the Element Connections.

Went scratching through the plumbing section and bought two parts; a S/V Adaptor 50mmx2 Female and a S/V 50mm Stop End.

With a little machining, removing the threaded portion on the one side of the adaptor and opening it out a bit I should be able to heat the adaptor sufficiently to heat form it around the element nut. I will then drill and tap the element nut on three sides of the element nut and fix the assembly with screws. It will be a very tight fit and I may have to trim away at places internally.

Will provide feedback on the success or lack thereof. I think there is a high probability of this working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Element Cap.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	582720
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2020/08/02 at 03:47 PM.

Yes it will work well .The element is 60,5 at its widest point. I would take the earth lug out and then once the adapter is made I would get some 4mm threaded rod and then use a male end cap not a female one (saves you buying pipe. )I would then just heat the threaded rod up and push it through the end cap.Then you could use it to hold the insulator on,.If you have taps then its no big deal to just tap as you suggest.

A nice way to heat the pvc if you dont have heat gun is to just put oil in a pot and heat it on a stove. But even a torch makes short work of this,
    Getting back to npt vs bsp the 1/2 and 3./4 are compatible. They are both 14 tpi .Bsp is 55 degree and npt is 60 degree.

I bought this thermometer for R90

Name:	ther.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	582751
    I Brazed a fitting on the very top of my still . If I made a ptfe fitting for the thermal coupler to sit in would this be the best position for it.?

Name:	therm top.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	582753

Hi,

Got the keg to mid shine. What polishing compound should I use to get her a little more lustre. I have one of those car rotating polishing machines that I want to use for the job.

Name:	Keg Mid Shine.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	582752

I did rotate the image, apologies ??

7l Pot Still from a vintage pressure cooker. Will take 5l of wash. Built this for my son, when he loses interest, and he will, it will come home as a prototyping still. I just need to mount a thermometer in the 22mm Stop End right at the top.

Name:	7l Pot Still.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	582756

Slowly getting there on the main still. I still need to;

- Get a better shine on the keg.

- Mount / solder a thermocouple compression gland to the column. Buy a more appropriate thermocouple, one with a 6mm shaft. I can make a plan in the interum.

- Complete the protective Element Cap, but that will not stop me from distilling.

- Complete my parrot, need a piece of 28x300mm tube to complete that. Also need to cut the Rhodesian Teak base to size. I would not like to start distilling without this. ColeGP may have hooked me up.

- Make a support arm for the end of the Liebig Condenser. The condenser is heavy and I don't want it to rest on the parrot.

- Then to over a period of time to make a trolley stand to make the still portable.

- Finally, while distilling and enjoying, to slowly get my copper geyser up to speed to replace the keg.

Looking at it that way there is still a bunch of work to do but then I will be ready to rock and roll.

So my condenser is a little heavy, consequently I don't want to rely on the 3/4" Union to support the weight and I don't want the weight to cantilever on the column. So I soldered up a stand, I have some ideas as to how I will attach it to the condenser but I need some 3mm copper plate, about 50mm square would suffice if anyone has any some copper plate laying round.

Parrot is done, it will be mounted on the board underneath, some nice Rhodesian Teak. I need to cut it to a more suitable size.

Now it is time for my first wash. Will probably knock it up tomorrow or Monday.

While my wash is hopefully fermenting away I need to get my buddy to braze a 1/4" socket on the column for my Thermocouple compression fitting, then a 1/2" socket welded to the base of the keg so that I can fit a tap for easy drainage. He may as well weld in a 1/4" socket as well just in case at some stage I want to measure the temperature of the wash.

Need one or two tweaks on the still, and now that the parrot and stand are done I can model what goes where and start designing the stand.

Name:	Parrot.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	583583

Its been slow going but I am happy not to have rushed it. It looks good and as it is based on commercial designs have no doubt that it will function as it should.

When all is done the still needs a name and a good polishing with Brasso.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Andrew, how did you add the spout on the outlet?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

It was actuall real easy, much easier than I thought.

My spout is 9.5mm, So I drilled a 3mm hole on the ridge, at the desired angle, then a 9mm hole at the same angle and I was going open up the hole with a file to get a interference fit. Got bored with that and drilled it 9.5 and the fit was tight.

Mounted the assembly so that the surface of the reducing fitting was horizontal. A little dab of solder and it neatly pulled all the way around the parrot spout.

Still needs cleaning;

Name:	Parrot 2.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	583587

Name:	Parrot 3.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	583588
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2020/08/08 at 11:09 PM.

Thats some really neat soldering!
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Heat the parts up, remove the heat source and apply solder, when the solder stops melting then reheat the parts again and repeat. Don't let the flame melt the solder, the copper parts must melt the solder.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I bought this thermometer for R90

Name:	ther.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	582751
    I Brazed a fitting on the very top of my still . If I made a ptfe fitting for the thermal coupler to sit in would this be the best position for it.?

Name:	therm top.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	582753
    For mine I drilled the 4mm hole on the homemade ( not by me) end cap and use a folded disc of tinfoil as a seal. It makes the probe and screen easy to remove and place somewhere when the column needs to be removed and the backset cleaned out for the next run. I did 120l of washes the last two days, if the probe's thin plastic coated wire was something else I had to deal with also, I would have given up.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

So this will be the first that you will be measuring the temperature Riaan? Any idea of the temperature you are aiming at at the top of the column?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So this will be the first that you will be measuring the temperature Riaan? Any idea of the temperature you are aiming at at the top of the column?
    Not the first time I have used the probe Andrew as the new column has worked a bit already.

Can't comment on the temperatures to be aimed for, not having input heat control currently it is pointless. I use the old school method of smell and taste on whatever comes out of the still so the little digital box with numbers is a distraction actually for me.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Default URGENT OPINIONS - Alcohol Pot Still using a Copper Water Geyser

I need some urgent opinions here please.

So I will be shortening the condenser tube at the exit.

The original thought was to have the parrot on a loose board. I am toying with the idea of fastening the parrot to the work surface directly, but that seems so permanent. Are there good reasons for having the parrot as a standalone unit?

I had planned to have the board at the top of the keg but aesthetically I think I like the top portion visible. Opinions?

The controller will be mounted on the 150mm piece on the right of the keg so it will be on my left hand side and I am right handed. The reason for this is that I did not want cables all over the place, this way it is a short route to the element and a short route for the thermocouple cable.

I am planning a 50mm high strip at the rear (front in the photo) to stop things potentially rolling or being pushed off the back.

The trolley was originally going to be metal but have decided on wood for a warmer appearance. Opinions?

The water hoses and electrical cables will all go through the work top for neatness sake.

Here is the mock-up as shown from the rear of the unit. I am trying to determine the overall length of the counter before wildly cutting.

Name:  Mockup.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  383.0 KB
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2020/08/10 at 11:28 AM.

Looking good there Mr. Leigh.

Now you need to set a date for sample testing
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Just destroyed my piece of Rhodesian Teak . My first setback, damn.

Found a name for my Still.

iDop

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Found a name for my Still.

iDop
    So it has an app?

Mine I called 'VanShine' and it works like a charm.......

The parrot, liebig cooler and tower I built to be able to set at any angle to ensure ease of distillation...

apologies for the picture being 'skeef'. Do not know how to rotate them as they come from my mobile
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FACEB21B-A328-45E6-B2EB-AA17882BA657.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	584071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC4AFE00-7ADF-49C1-BE84-82246B63D029.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	584072  
    Last edited by IceAge; 2020/08/12 at 04:13 PM.
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceAge For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Mine I called 'VanShine' and it works like a charm.......

The parrot, liebig cooler and tower I built to be able to set at any angle to ensure ease of distillation...

apologies for the picture being 'skeef'. Do not know how to rotate them as they come from my mobile
    Nice, like your style, directly into the glass. why put it in a bottle first.

I need to bend my parrot beak, looks so much nicer with the curve. Nice job.

Is that the element shroud that you used from the geyser as the first part of you upright? Never thought of that but may well be ingenious for my application.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2020/08/12 at 04:56 PM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast