Smoke and more smoke?

Default Smoke and more smoke?

Alas, it looks like the 4.0 V8 showing me a finger post lockdown. Been driving it but no more than 5km at a time. The temperature gauge started acting up which affected the idling. but once it was switched off and on it set correctly.

Short and long today the car sounded like a tractor after 5km and suddenly smoke and the gauge went ballistic. stopped and just called the breakdown. No water lost, pipes still soft. oil on dipstick but nothing else. opened the oil cap and a slight hint of mayo.

in my limited mech knowledge it looks like the top went, and one of the valves decided to expire. it does not look extreme, but if it costs me more than 10k I'm tossing the engine and getting a replacement!

Anyone run into something similar (My prev D1 went more spectacular with water fountain, smoke and mayo galore!)

Default Re: Smoke and more smoke?

Drop a proper V8 in there. That Rover was pathetic so if you're going to be using 16L/100 you may as well get some ponies.

The Chev LT1 has been dropped into a lot of Defenders and Discos. Some forum members have done so.

Unless you want to roll the dice on the RV8 again??
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

always more horses!!! what are their availability in SA?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor V View Post
    Rocket88 has a huge selection.
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

give my brother Mark a call at Rocket 88 with regards to V8 engines but best would be a LM7 I recon,
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

If you stick to the bus routes and next to the railway lines go for a change over. It is expensive and I do not mean engine cost, labour and building costs are high if you want a half decent job and then comes the teething troubles. Also forget any decent resale value.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

I had to laugh. Standing talking crap with a neighbour, we look at the engine. he spots something (being 2m tall has benefits). One of the cooling system pipes had burst. muddersticker. with lockdown I've been literally driving max 5km so car never warmed up and friday was the first time going over.

So replacing the pipes first, filling coolant, and holding thumbs. maybe she was one of those robust versions and the engine is still ok

So replacing the pipes first, filling coolant, and holding thumbs. maybe she was one of those robust versions and the engine is still ok
    "Short and long today the car sounded like a tractor after 5km and suddenly smoke and the gauge went ballistic. stopped and just called the breakdown. No water lost, pipes still soft. oil on dipstick but nothing else. opened the oil cap and a slight hint of mayo."

I doubt it.
    Percivamus