Old School Adventure Bike - Which One?? (Post Pics!!!) - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Old School Adventure Bike - Which One?? (Post Pics!!!)

It depend what type of riding you going to do. if you going to do some long rides gravel /tar i would go for the 1100gs/1150gs. if yo going to do a more technical; bmw 650 dakar. IM 63 and have both bikes and dont let any one tell you
    that the KLR is easy to pick up when its ling flat on the ground not even the dakar but the 1100/1150 gs is the easiest to pick up as they have the cylinders to rest on which makes it easier to lift because half the weight is at a angle
    I found that the Dakar a great mid-range bike to cruise with loaded with kit. You can cruse at 120-130 comfortable where the KLR seems to run out of steam. Another advantage is spares. You can just about get any BMW spares easily anywhere in the country. Dont let any one tell you the big BMW cant ride sand i have been on trips to PONTO and watch blokes ride them up a steep hill in the thick beach sand while other rides on small bikes could not make the hill they kept falling and getting stuck. It comes down to training and practice. I would suggest it does matter what bike you choose but go on all the riding training you can. I encourage you to get any bike as it will open a new world for you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to garyvr For This Useful Post:

Self deleted
    Last edited by jelo; 2020/06/11 at 09:02 PM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Moenie die Honda 650 Transalp vergeet nie. Baie gemaklike bike. Kraglewering is daar, maar baie egalig ( V-twin ). Bietjie swaar en top heavy in die sand, maar 'n baie lekker toer bike. Ek mis myne, soortgelyk aan die 650 Dakar, maar die twin en beter rygerief maak dit 'n beter bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That KLR is similar to what I had in 1984.

Had this for 3 years, done 33000km, trouble free. Enjoyed every moment with it. Bought it new for R3800, sold it for R3000..big mistake. If remember correctly, it had a 7L tank, got 25km/l, petrol was 63cents/l. On this trip I was touring Natal. Kidney belt compulsory on long rides. The kick start was..well..could be sore at times, even after decompression.

Currently on a 2004 1200GS.

Dream bike is a 1200HP
    Wit FoByFo (LangGat)
    Wit FoByFo (KortGat)
    Rooi Motorrad (WindGat)

Thanks Guys, advise appreciated.

Yes, making plans to get the 600 here from Witbank, and actually VERY excited to have it with me!

The bike isnt original, its cosmetically almost 100%, so I will be doing a couple mods on it first, definitely.

1) Obviously go through everything mechanically, brakes, seals, etc etc

2) Touring screen and raised handlebar, I want to sit lekker and it just looks cool

3) Shortened and deepened seat, almost like a Corbin type of seat, with luggage rack at the rear

4) "Modular" soft luggage, where extra bags can be easily added or not, as necessary

5) Couple "Gout Bombs" for those mornings that I may have jumped into a barrel of Jack D & Coke the night before
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Lekker Petri. Living so close to Lesotho makes your choices of bikes easier. Living further away you need to take other thing into consideration. How to get to Lesotho. Ride your bike or trailer. If you ride your bike you need to take the road to Lesotho into consideration as well. You end up getting a bike suited to long distance travel and less suited to lesotho conditions. A compromise. Travelling to Lesotho on a WR450 from Pretoria will kill you, but once in Lesotho its a great bike to have. Travelling from Pretoria on a BMW R1200GSA is a luxury but once in Lesotho its not necessarily the best bike to be on. So horses for courses. Where you stay and what you want to do with the bike determines what your choice will be in the end. Enjoy the Tenere. Take a lot of pictures. The Tenere and the DR600 together on a trip will make some proper memories!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scalpel For This Useful Post:

Dibs wanneer jy die Tenere verkoop.

3-6 maande?

My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Scalpel - ja, I'd be using that 600 :

over weekends, following the boys on their offroads, we have nice gravel travel between Bethlehem and Clarens/Fouriesburg/Rosendal/Kestell/Reitz, some of which are "private" plaaspad. Really PLENTY roads around town.

I've had 2 older Airheads, an 80 and a 100, and also an 1100 GS......great bikes, but I just want something more "thumper" now.

We're also attending the ROA Rally every year, I think this would be my 20th or more Roof this year, would be awesome to ride the Tenere from here, and team up with other Adventure riders along the way - the laaities kan bring their offroads/camping stuff etc etc with a trailer

And ja, Mariza and the kids are actually begging me to "get out a bit" from work, so I may just have a little solo trip somewhere near(ish) to bond with the 600.........would be nice. I did that for many years when younger, with an old 80 G/S.

Rainier - thanks, maar as ek die storie like sal ek die Tenere vir my laaitie gee as ek regtig so voel, en dan (hopelik) upgrade na iets soos 'n Tenere 660 of 1150 Adventure (dalk ook nie) of so iets - maar ek ken myself, like die ou thumpers BAIE, die "old school" ding gaan 99% van my enjoyment wees.

I have two Yamahas and a KLR 600. The 600tt I restored recently, not on the road. My second restoration on a fully roadworthy 600 Tenere is progressing very well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenere1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	573924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenere2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	573925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenere new.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	588.6 KB 
ID:	573935  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DawidT For This Useful Post:

Petri, not sure if I've mentioned this before, but do yourself and go to dischem and get yourself a medical sheepskin that you can throw over the seat if you're doing a longer trip. (They sell the small square ones for wheelchairs)

My GS is very comfortable, but after a few 100km the backside starts hurting a bit. With the sheepskin your bum range is extended by a couple of hundred kilometres.
    Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyAndy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    your bum range is extended
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    My son bought an old Suzuki DR 600 yesterday, he wants to maybe restore it and use it for longer trips to Lesotho etc etc.

This DR is maybe not the perfect candidate, I think one can buy a better one already restored at the same or less $$ as what this would cost him.

I'm itching to do the same.

Thinking in the lines of :

1) BMW 1150 Adventure

2) Honda XR 650

3) Africa Twin 750 (the twin headlight jobbie)

4) Yamaha Tenere 600 (old ones)

5) Yamaha Super Tenere 750 (old ones with double lights)

6) BMW 1100 GS, especially the Anniversary editions

7) Honda XL 500, classic oldies

8) Yamaha XT 500 - classic

9) Suzuki DR 600 or 750 - had a DR BIG (750) when young, sweet memories!

10) Cagiva Elefant 750 or 900

..................what other "classic interesting" overlanding thumpers and BM's are there, and pics

THANKS

Petri jy gaan daai 600 geniet. Ek het jare terug ook een gehad. Was 'n lekker fiets gewees. Ek het nou nlangs 'n R1150GSA gekoop. Mooies is nog beskikbaar as mens net geduldig is.
    Last edited by Scalpel; 2020/06/02 at 07:44 AM.

Hi there I stay in Saldanha and have a old 600 tenere that I would like to sell. my mail is [email protected]

As previous
    Last edited by jelo; 2020/06/11 at 09:03 PM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    Petri, not sure if I've mentioned this before, but do yourself and go to dischem and get yourself a medical sheepskin that you can throw over the seat if you're doing a longer trip. (They sell the small square ones for wheelchairs)

My GS is very comfortable, but after a few 100km the backside starts hurting a bit. With the sheepskin your bum range is extended by a couple of hundred kilometres.
    Andy - definitely on top of my wish list, that velletjie does wonders!!

Quote Originally Posted by DawidT View Post
    I have two Yamahas and a KLR 600. The 600tt I restored recently, not on the road. My second restoration on a fully roadworthy 600 Tenere is progressing very well.
    Dawid die 600 wat ek gekoop het is toevallig ook in Witbank, ek probeer reel om hom die week te gaan haal

Awesome thread.

One of my first 'proper' bikes was a 1987 Suzuki DR600, it only had a kick starter with a compression lever. I bought it for R15 000, but then it needed quite a lot of repairs. My friend had a KLR 650 and together we did a 6000km trip to the Epupa Falls and down Van Zyl's Pass.

Despite all the bike issues we encountered, I grew very fond of the bike. After the Suzuki I had a Honda Transalp and BMW F800GS, but the Suzuki had the most 'character' by far.

Would love to get something in the 500-900 range again, this thread has really been an inspiration.

For more pictures and videos of the trip through Namibia and all the things that went wrong with the bikes feel free to check that out here: https://www.onanysunday.co.za/posts/...a-2013-part-1/

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hugmin42 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
    Petri jy gaan daai 600 geniet. Ek het jare terug ook een gehad. Was 'n lekker fiets gewees. Ek het nou nlangs 'n R1150GSA gekoop. Mooies is nog beskikbaar as mens net geduldig is.

What a beaut!
    To Operate Your Own Terrific Automobile AKA TOYOTA

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pase4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pase4x4 View Post
    What a beaut!
    Those 1150 GSA's are VERY nice bikes!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast