I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast





Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    649
    Thanked: 22

    Default I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Hi
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on proper yeast for distilling? And a hydrometer and/or an alcohol meter?
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/05/27 at 11:51 PM.
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,715
    Thanked: 15034

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Shortages worldwide.

    Brewcraft, Bevplus and Brewmart are all open and accepting orders as far as I know.

    Or try these guys:

    https://distillique.co.za/Shop/
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,398
    Thanked: 1556

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Just brew beer - easier and does not need any fancy equipment - at least not at a basic level.
    Distilling is a whole different ball game.
    And I don't like spirits.
    Eish!
    Had some very bad experiences in my youth with spirits - not ever to be repeated!
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    649
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Shortages worldwide.

    Brewcraft, Bevplus and Brewmart are all open and accepting orders as far as I know.

    Or try these guys:

    https://distillique.co.za/Shop/
    Yes I have tried them all thx. All out of stock

    Its very annoying to try and figure out why my wash has stopped bubbling, or when fermentation is done without a hydrometer at least. And I have to struggle with Spar brewers yeast that seem a bit reluctant to eat my 5kg sugar in my 20 liter wash.
    Last edited by janfloris; 2020/05/27 at 02:00 PM.
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,715
    Thanked: 15034

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Just brew beer - easier and does not need any fancy equipment - at least not at a basic level.
    Distilling is a whole different ball game.
    And I don't like spirits.
    Eish!
    Had some very bad experiences in my youth with spirits - not ever to be repeated!
    We all had bad experiences with cheap spirits in our youth.

    If the man wants to distill, let him.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,715
    Thanked: 15034

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    Yes I have tried them all thx. All out of stock

    Its very annoying to try and figure out why my wash has stopped bubbling, or when fermentation is done without a hydrometer at least. And I have to struggle with Spar brewers yeast that seem a bit reluctant to eat my 5kg sugar in my 20 liter wash.
    Hmmm

    That Spar yeast is stone dead.

    Split the batch into 2 x 10L, fill up the two vessels back to 20L with fresh warm water, and repitch more yeast.

    If you think that Spar yeast can handle 15% ABV you're barking up the wrong alcohol tree.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    71
    Posts
    2,398
    Thanked: 1556

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  10. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,916
    Thanked: 13291

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    Yes I have tried them all thx. All out of stock

    Its very annoying to try and figure out why my wash has stopped bubbling, or when fermentation is done without a hydrometer at least. And I have to struggle with Spar brewers yeast that seem a bit reluctant to eat my 5kg sugar in my 20 liter wash.
    What is the temp? Not too cold for the yeast you are using?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    649
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    We all had bad experiences with cheap spirits in our youth.

    If the man wants to distill, let him.
    Yip so did I. Hence I know what not to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Hmmm

    That Spar yeast is stone dead.

    Split the batch into 2 x 10L, fill up the two vessels back to 20L with fresh warm water, and repitch more yeast.

    If you think that Spar yeast can handle 15% ABV you're barking up the wrong alcohol tree.
    I'm thinking that 7% ABV is pushing it for that Spar yeast. It's either that or bakers yeast, which I think will have an even lower ABV tolerance. The batch of apple cider that I made and distilled over the weekend for "apple brandy" came out pretty good using brewers yeast. I'm not sure why I cannot get a decent sugar wash from the brewers yeast. My first sugar wash attempt still tasted very sweet after 2 weeks. So I ditched that and started again. This time adding raisins as nutrients. (I cannot get hold of yeast nutrients either)

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    What is the temp? Not too cold for the yeast you are using?
    I don't think so. As mentioned it is normal brewers yeast. (The yellow packet). The fermenting buckets are in the pantry, and I keep the door closed as far as possible. The wash temp is around 20 degrees. Not sure if it must be higher.
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    30
    Posts
    581
    Thanked: 865

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Rather use regular baking yeast boiled for a minute or so as nutrients. Raisins aren't the best nutrients, and are often full of stuff you don't want in your wash. Take a regular packet of baking yeast, dissolve it a cup of boiling water, nuke it on the microwave until it boils and when it's cooled down, add it to your wash as nutrients, step-feeding if possible.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    649
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Rather use regular baking yeast boiled for a minute or so as nutrients. Raisins aren't the best nutrients, and are often full of stuff you don't want in your wash. Take a regular packet of baking yeast, dissolve it a cup of boiling water, nuke it on the microwave until it boils and when it's cooled down, add it to your wash as nutrients, step-feeding if possible.
    Will do thanks.
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to janfloris For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    57
    Posts
    5,284
    Thanked: 1248

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    I started my 20L sugar wash on Saturday with plain NCP Superbake Instant Yeast (bread yeast). I'm keeping it in my biltong boks with a 60Watt Incandescent Glode on all the time. Temp is +- 29 in there. It is happily bubbling.

    Still early days though.
    Kobus

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,715
    Thanked: 15034

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post

    I'm thinking that 7% ABV is pushing it for that Spar yeast. It's either that or bakers yeast, which I think will have an even lower ABV tolerance. The batch of apple cider that I made and distilled over the weekend for "apple brandy" came out pretty good using brewers yeast. I'm not sure why I cannot get a decent sugar wash from the brewers yeast. My first sugar wash attempt still tasted very sweet after 2 weeks. So I ditched that and started again. This time adding raisins as nutrients. (I cannot get hold of yeast nutrients either)
    .
    Then why do you have a sugar wash that will yield 15%?

    Did you even bother to calculate the target ABV?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Strand
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Try http://beerguevara.com/
    Or petshop selling fishtank equipment

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    59
    Posts
    687
    Thanked: 1069

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    Hi
    Does anyone have any idea where I can get my hands on proper yeast for distilling? And a hydrometer and/or an alcohol meter?
    It seems that the whole @#$! gauteng is out of stock on everything.
    Just got a hydrometer at Ketelkraal.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanked: 191

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Just got a hydrometer at Ketelkraal.
    Have you physically bought a hydrometer from them, or have you placed an order for one...
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,047
    Thanked: 191

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    Yes I have tried them all thx. All out of stock

    Its very annoying to try and figure out why my wash has stopped bubbling, or when fermentation is done without a hydrometer at least. And I have to struggle with Spar brewers yeast that seem a bit reluctant to eat my 5kg sugar in my 20 liter wash.
    How much yeast did you use?
    I used 3 packets of anchor bakers yeast + 1 packet of boiled yeast for my 2.5kg / 11L sugar wash, its still bubbling away and I am onto day 11.
    Also important to keep the temp between 25 - 30 to keep the yeast active.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    38,715
    Thanked: 15034

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    ColeGP has a good point. ALWAYS over pitch yeast when doing sugar washes.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    59
    Posts
    687
    Thanked: 1069

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    Have you physically bought a hydrometer from them, or have you placed an order for one...
    Placed the order, items out of stock you cannot order. Am I missing something?

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    59
    Posts
    687
    Thanked: 1069

    Default Re: I am going to go mad! Hydrometer and yeast

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Placed the order, items out of stock you cannot order. Am I missing something?
    What a useless site, I can't trace my order as I am neither on facebook or Instagram?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •