Tyre air compressor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tyre air compressor

I need to purchase a tyre air compressor
    But I am amazed at the difference in prices!
    ARB CKMTP12 TWIN PORTABLE COMPRESSOR R7600
    ARB CKMP12 HIGH OUTPUT PORTABLE R5000
    IRONMAN FLOMAX 160 L/PM R3150
    T-MAX 160 HD COMPRESSOR R3195

What is a good quality compressor to get? Want to be able to pump two tyres at once

Thanks

Default Re: Tyre air compressor

I just bought a 160psi compressor from ODW, it pumps both my tyres.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by TimTDP View Post

What is a good quality compressor to get? Want to be able to pump two tyres at once

Thanks
    I have the ARB twin, 1st on your list, and a T-Max as a backup.

The ARB twin is a high quality compressor, worth every cent. It's rated output at pressure is true, and out performs the T-Max. But, I have not heard any any T-Max failing so far, or one of the other clones. The Ironman is probably from the same factory as the T-Max, but with a different label.

I have a trailboss. Under 2000.00. Works perfek for me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1590513612868.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	573182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200526_192051.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	573183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200526_192146.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	573184

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Where can one get the ARB Twin at that price?

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

I have had an ARB 'single' for quite some time...has been fully submerged in water and mud and is always in the elements as it was fitted under my land cruiser 76 and is now (as of yesterday) fitted under my hilux...and it just keeps working!!!

On the cruiser I had 285/75 16 tyres fitted and using the indelfate, inflated 2 tyres at a time and it worked PERFRCTLY!!!

The ARB has a 100% workrate i.e. even when it is really worled and is hot still has the rated flow...

In my humble opinion, this little compressor is WORTH EVERY CENT!!!

The ARB TWIN is nice but again in my opinion with the work rate of the smaller sibling, it is NOT worth the extra moola!!
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trevor_Mathews For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    I have had an ARB 'single' for quite some time...has been fully submerged in water and mud and is always in the elements as it was fitted under my land cruiser 76 and is now (as of yesterday) fitted under my hilux...and it just keeps working!!!

On the cruiser I had 285/75 16 tyres fitted and using the indelfate, inflated 2 tyres at a time and it worked PERFRCTLY!!!

The ARB has a 100% workrate i.e. even when it is really worled and is hot still has the rated flow...

The ARB TWIN is nice but again in my opinion with the work rate of the smaller sibling, it is NOT worth the extra moola!!
    I have the twin for the bigger tyres of the camper. But what you say is true. The bigger the faster. But do we need it. I used a Thomas pump for over a decade with my landy. It was dependable, and never died, even when pumping for over 30 minutes restoring pressure from 1b to 2 plus bars on 2 vehicles on many occasions, in hot summer temperatures.

One positive from Covid is that we realise that we have more time for things than what we were used to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Whos importing Thomas now in SA?
    Agents?

They are great comps.

Waar is die ARB twin R7600?
    Ek oorweeg een.Het die trail boss 2 dual head gehad nie eers 2jaar gehou nie

Bel vir johan tyres fini flash het myne al tien jaar en geen problem.Bietjie groot maar elke sent werd

I bought the TrailBoss 300lpm during lock down. It sure is quick to inflate, but not had the change to inflate all four tires in one go yet.
    Contemplating the Indeflate to do two tires at a time, but does it really save time doing that?

I inflated from 1 bar to 2.5 in under a minute, so guessing the Indeflate will just and some decent equalization.
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140

From Frontrunner. R1600. Seems to be OKClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200601_084937.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	573912

Those things became expensive

In 2004 I bought one at Makro For R1350, I think its 150 L .

I use it a lot, pumping bicycle tyres, rugby balls, my cars wheels, use it almost weekly. Still works a charm

It does take 10 minutes to inflate my for tyres from 1 to 2 bar, but its ok. I suppose its a Chinese no name, but it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post

The single / CKMA12 HIGH OUTPUT ON-BOARD is only rated for 50% duty cycle. Which will give you 30mins at 22C which is more than enough for a single vehicle.

The Twin / CKMTA12 is rated at 100% duty cycle. The Twin has an extra cooling fan that blows air between the two heads. The twin also has twice the flow rate and adding the 5L tank also makes a big difference. I am always pumping up most of the convoys tires as I can get 3 vehicles done before the T-Max has done one. If you have the money get the twin, it is defiantly worth it but that money could also be better spent on tires or something else you will just need to wait a little longer.

Chart for all ARB compressors : https://www.arb.com.au/assets/air-lockers/6-07.pdf

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristoff View Post
    Waar is die ARB twin R7600?
    Ek oorweeg een.Het die trail boss 2 dual head gehad nie eers 2jaar gehou nie
    Any suggestions where one could get an ARB Twin at this price?

You can buy one of these for each tyre for the price of the other compressors.
    I have had this particular one for a little over two years with no issues and I keep an old Hurricane compressor as a back up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	573942
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Any suggestions where one could get an ARB Twin at this price?
    4x4 Megaworld had them at R7,5k odd during the 1st month of lockdown only. Prices gone up again now.

Prado 120 4.0
    Jimny A/T
    GL500

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr MMG For This Useful Post:

I have had a Maxair for over a decade and it has survived many months in the bush. But when you think about it - how often do you use the pump and how important is speed?

Typically, I deflate when I leave tar and then again if conditions (deep sand) warrant. But then I might stay deflated for days or even weeks, only repressurusing when I return to fimer surfaces or tar. And if on tar, you are probably not far from a petrol station, so you just need a safe pressure and can fine tune when you fuel up.

I suppose if you are playing in the dunes for an afternoon, speed is more important, but in my experience, I actually enjoy the break from driving. I've also got a set of tyre deflators I have used about twice in over ten years. I find them not worth the trouble, and certainly not worth the price.

There's a guy on YouTube who has a towing operation. His rescue vehicles (well, one of them) is an old Jeep XJ modded with large 35" tyres. He runs them (in Utah, where temps are often in the high 30s) at 9psi, or about 0.75 bar, I think. And that includes on tar. Mind you, his Jeep isn't loaded up, but he will often have four guys in it, plus some recovery equipment. It does make you wonder just how unattentive you have to be to destroy tyres these days.

I do recommend taking a look at his channel - some great recovery action, and the most Namibia-like scenery in North America

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd...NF9WIe_3uCfz9Q

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CanAmSteve For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmSteve View Post
    I have had a Maxair for over a decade and it has survived many months in the bush. But when you think about it - how often do you use the pump and how important is speed?

Typically, I deflate when I leave tar and then again if conditions (deep sand) warrant. But then I might stay deflated for days or even weeks, only repressurusing when I return to fimer surfaces or tar. And if on tar, you are probably not far from a petrol station, so you just need a safe pressure and can fine tune when you fuel up.

I suppose if you are playing in the dunes for an afternoon, speed is more important, but in my experience, I actually enjoy the break from driving. I've also got a set of tyre deflators I have used about twice in over ten years. I find them not worth the trouble, and certainly not worth the price.

There's a guy on YouTube who has a towing operation. His rescue vehicles (well, one of them) is an old Jeep XJ modded with large 35" tyres. He runs them (in Utah, where temps are often in the high 30s) at 9psi, or about 0.75 bar, I think. And that includes on tar. Mind you, his Jeep isn't loaded up, but he will often have four guys in it, plus some recovery equipment. It does make you wonder just how unattentive you have to be to destroy tyres these days.

I do recommend taking a look at his channel - some great recovery action, and the most Namibia-like scenery in North America

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd...NF9WIe_3uCfz9Q
    I also follow the guy with his "yellow banana" jeep.
    he doesn't even use a gauge when deflating. just pulls the valve and waits .....

Quote Originally Posted by Rigardtw View Post
    I also follow the guy with his "yellow banana" jeep.
    he doesn't even use a gauge when deflating. just pulls the valve and waits .....
    A pen knife or a match to deflate ... and counting off seconds does the trick for deflating and pumping up the tyre. If you know your equipment you should know what your pump (electric) delivers per second or how many strokes for a hand pump to reach .5 bar.

CanAmSteve = "I have had a Maxair for over a decade and it has survived many months in the bush. But when you think about it - how often do you use the pump and how important is speed?

Typically, I deflate when I leave tar and then again if conditions (deep sand) warrant. But then I might stay deflated for days or even weeks, only re-pressurizing when I return to firmer surfaces or tar. And if on tar, you are probably not far from a petrol station, so you just need a safe pressure and can fine tune when you fuel up"

The need to have every gadget whether we actually need them or not - we are either very insecure or the marketing guru's have us in a head lock but I suspect in most cases it is both.
    Consumerism gone mad.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Oreo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast