Advice wanted on a hilux - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Advice wanted on a hilux

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Anybody willing to share their service costs for 2.8GD6 and V6.

I need to apologize and should have done it with my first post. I am not trying to hi jack the thread but the question is very relevant even to myself.

Thanks

Johan
    Hi Johan.

Below is the cost of owning a 4.0 V6, over its lifetime of 160,000 km thus far. It is in an FJ, but I can only imagine service cost would be comparable, regardless of what it's in.

In the FJ I get an average of 6.5 km/l fairly consistently, but never tow.

Cheers

Name:  FJ.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  238.6 KB
    Last edited by TrooperTripper; 2020/06/01 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Actually attaching image

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Over 20 years and 850 000km on the 4.2 Patrol I have replaced:

Cooling fan
    Radiator
    Starter
    Alternator
    and that is it

And normal services done myself always, from day one
    I wonder what the figures will be over the same distance for the 3 litre diesel Patrol with the handgranade engine!
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

I have an FJ V6 120,000km. Consumption since (almost) new 11.83 L/100km. BUT this my weekend-and-holiday vehicle, never commutes, and has seen only minimal use in the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by haydenm View Post
    Hi everyone.
    A friend of mine is looking at getting him self a 2016 Hilux V6 auto 4x4.
    His only hesitation is real world consumption.
    Could anyone perhaps tell me thier rough real world fuel consumption.
    Or your average range per tank
    Thanks.
    I have driven a manual 4lv6 for the last 13years (140000km) I tow an Afrispoor trailer which weighs about 900kg fully loaded. The worst consumption I have had is 5km/l and the best is around 7km/liter. The best was also towing but keeping to 100km/h. So you could probably squeek out 7.5 if you're not towing and drive carefully. I work on 6 to 6.5km/l towing or not. Towing does make a difference obviously but not that much. Putting your foot down or not is what counts.

I have had a 2012 hilux V6 4x4. Travelling from Harties to Rtb everyday, 140 km/h on the highway, I got 7.5 km/l constantly.
    Modifications - lifting in front with 20mm spacers, BF's all-terrain on

Hi there. My opinion.....I had a 3L D4D and trade it in for a V6 Fortuner 4x4. I put branches on removed the Cat and put a chip in. It was an awesome vehicle. The sound of the V6 was awesome. I average 6.5 towing a double wheel Jurgens Exclusive and if I traveled long distances got 8.5 km per liter at decent 115/118 km,h. I kept full log-sheets.The Fortuner was/is a awesome 4x4 vehicle.
    When I retired I trade the V6 in for a brand new 2.4 GD Double cab 4x4 and the main reason was I start using the Fortuner as a pick-up transporting cement,brick etc. etc. So .... I needed a LDV again. The 2.4 {I also chip it with a race chip} average 10.5 km/liter at 124 kmh avg. Best was 13.5 with no wind on a level Karoo roads at 110km/h > 8km liter was the worse on the Hentiesbay beaches, and fully loaded with Camping gear during a 6500 km Namibia trip with log-sheets. And when I tow my caravan give me 7.2 km/l at 105km/h. I give all the details to state my point.
    When I changed my 3L D4D Doub/cab for the Fortuner my calculation was as follow;
    V6 versus diesel; Purchase price; 2011 V6 Fortuner R230,000 and R280,000 for 2011 Diesel Fortuner R50,000 difference. How far can I drive with R50,000 taking in consideration that if the V6 give you 7 km per liter and the Diesel 10 km per liter. Difference is 3km liter... even if difference is 4 kilos. you can drive hundred of thousand Km,s. to use the difference. Your calculation must work on the difference because you still need to put fuel in both. So my point is on that difference you will never make it up. Then services... Diesel 10,000 km V6 15,000 km. So..100,000 km 10 x serves; V6 = 6 x services.

I loved and miss my V6 dearly....
    Marius

Thanks for all the info.

I will check the current secondhand sales prices but there is not much of a gap between the V6 and the 2.8GD6 if I remember correctly.

If you buy new then services I suppose is not the main concern but the difference in consumption.

My purchase will probably be my last so it has to make sense for the next 20 years.

I will probably travel 12 000 km per year so 240KKM for the 20 years. Based on the 10 000 versus 15 000 km service intervals it means the diesel will have 8 more services.

With those km's in mind what will have to be replaced (as an additional cost over and above oil, filters and brake pads)? Thinking injectors ext.

Thanks

Johan

Thumbs up Re: Advice wanted on a hilux

Quote Originally Posted by haydenm View Post
    Hi everyone.
    A friend of mine is looking at getting him self a 2016 Hilux V6 auto 4x4.
    His only hesitation is real world consumption.
    Could anyone perhaps tell me thier rough real world fuel consumption.
    Or your average range per tank
    Thanks.
    Hi,
    A late post, but it might still be helpful.
    I have a 2012 Fortuner V6 4x4 Auto, only 102k km on odo.
    Vehicle is standard.
    No issues since new, standard oil and service items only.
    Avg fuel consumption over the last 40k km. 11.66 L/100km
    No towing. Mainly open road use. The vehicle performs really well in sandy conditions.

Hope it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2