What tyre size Hilux Legend 50

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What tyre size Hilux Legend 50

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch. I want to put bf goodrich tyres on my new legend 50. What size should I go for 265/60R18 or 265/65R18 ?

Pro's and con's will be much appreciated

Default Re: What tyre size Hilux Legend 50

The 65 with higher profile will give you a bit of lift, however you will sacrifice some power
    All depends on the application, if you go off road regularly the higher sidewall gives a more comfortable ride and additional clearance always welcome...
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

If it is an Auto I'll rather stay as close to the standard size as possible.
    Your gearbox and diff ratios are set up / matched.
    If you go one size bigger the gearbox will start hunting for gears on the slightest uphill, and use more fuel.
    As Christo mentioned - larger size tyres will eat some power...
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen10 View Post
    If it is an Auto I'll rather stay as close to the standard size as possible.
    Your gearbox and diff ratios are set up / matched.
    If you go one size bigger the gearbox will start hunting for gears on the slightest uphill, and use more fuel.
    As Christo mentioned - larger size tyres will eat some power...
    It will not influence a diesel as much as a V6 petrol

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    It will not influence a diesel as much as a V6 petrol
    I had the issue on a 2,5 Diesel Pathfinder... even had a Unichip fitted, DPF removed, Freeflow installed... and it still had issues with loss of power from one size larger Profile BF At's.

Edit:
    The pathfinder still struggled to tow our caravan back then up any kind of hill.
    And because you took away some power (on a diesel) you floor it... and then the EGT's go through the roof... and one thing leads to another.

And then you end up trading the diesel for a V6 that likes it to be floored and tow a heavy caravan or trailer as long as it has Fuel and Air.
    Last edited by jurgen10; 2020/06/12 at 12:54 PM.
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

Thanks guys, mine is an auto so I guess i'd rather stay on the 260's then

Difference in rolling diameter is 3.6%, which is negligible.

I would go for the 65 profile.
    Tyrone Ferguson

2010 Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

I have had my DAKAR auto now for a month...drove it for a day before fitting 65 profiles (BFG KO2)...I really felt ZERO difference...

You will have to fit coil/strut spacers though if you are going to go for the 65 profile...
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/06/12 at 06:35 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trevor_Mathews For This Useful Post:

Default What tyre size Hilux Legend 50

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen10 View Post
    I had the issue on a 2,5 Diesel Pathfinder... even had a Unichip fitted, DPF removed, Freeflow installed... and it still had issues with loss of power from one size larger Profile BF At's.

Edit:
    The pathfinder still struggled to tow our caravan back then up any kind of hill.
    And because you took away some power (on a diesel) you floor it... and then the EGT's go through the roof... and one thing leads to another.

And then you end up trading the diesel for a V6 that likes it to be floored and tow a heavy caravan or trailer as long as it has Fuel and Air.
    I think there was something wrong with your Pathy. I had a Navara D40 with same engine, went up 2 sizes and could tow my Commander anywhere.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0909.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	575468
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/06/13 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Piemps View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch. I want to put bf goodrich tyres on my new legend 50. What size should I go for 265/60R18 or 265/65R18 ?

Pro's and con's will be much appreciated
    Piemps, your L50 is geared to run @ 2000rpm at 120km/h. If you increase the tyre profile and it affects your gearing to such an extent that it runs at 1800rpm at 120km/h, you will still be at peak torque. Yes it does affect power, but on an engine that makes its torque so low in the rev range you will hardly notice. And the benefits are soo worth it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

I have the auto and changed the 18’s for 17’s, albeit one size up as well, 265/75/17. I do not like 18’s offroad, too little sidewall to my liking.

I tow my hefty Ratel with little fuzz. We also have a FJ Cruiser, which makes a bit more power than the V6 in the Hilux, and towing the hefty Ratel cannot compare in any way with the Hilux.

I would go one size up, but you will need the spacer lift in the front, or go for a complete replacement lift kit.
    Dirk Theron
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best build ever
    ‘17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    I have the auto and changed the 18’s for 17’s, albeit one size up as well, 265/75/17. I do not like 18’s offroad, too little sidewall to my liking.

I tow my hefty Ratel with little fuzz. We also have a FJ Cruiser, which makes a bit more power than the V6 in the Hilux, and towing the hefty Ratel cannot compare in any way with the Hilux.

I would go one size up, but you will need the spacer lift in the front, or go for a complete replacement lift kit.
    Dirk, I think your particular Hilux could tow the Orion space shuttle with that torque and power hahaha

@Piemps, I went one tyre size up and I really don't notice a real difference.
    Spacer is a cost effective suggestion if you are keeping the front end standard (no replacement bumpers, no winch).
    Without it you could get some tyre rubbing.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Conqueror Compact II

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NTRyan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post
    Dirk, I think your particular Hilux could tow the Orion space shuttle with that torque and power hahaha

@Piemps, I went one tyre size up and I really don't notice a real difference.
    Spacer is a cost effective suggestion if you are keeping the front end standard (no replacement bumpers, no winch).
    Without it you could get some tyre rubbing.
    Shuuut NTRyan, haha yes it has a few extra horses.

Quite correct, I had the spacers and extended shackles at the back before adding a lot of extras, only then replaced the OEM suspension with OME. Super happy now.
    Dirk Theron

Quite correct, I had the spacers and extended shackles at the back before adding a lot of extras, only then replaced the OEM suspension with OME. Super happy now.
    So what extra power has your toyota got now? ...remapped? ...exhaust?

What are the figures?

Regarding your suspension setup...were you not happy with the extended shackles?
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/06/13 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    So what extra power has your toyota got now? ...remapped? ...exhaust?

What are the figures?

Regarding your suspension setup...were you not happy with the extended shackles?
    Hi Trevor,

The spacer and shackle budget mod works fine if you want to fit a larger tyre size and gain clearance.

As for carrying capacity, it did sag too much for My liking loaded and the Ratel in tow. I do tend to pack a lot.

I the got a sweat Black Friday deal and bought a front and rear bumper, which combined with my 12k pound winch necessitated a replacement suspension. The OME was specced accordingly and I am super happy, the drive and handling is a lot better.

As for the extra horses..... 76mm De Graag zost, Unichip Plus Torque-converter lockup. I still prefer this setup as the torque-converter makes a noticeable difference in power delivery and fuel economy. I do not have the Kw and Nm figures, only the below. All I can say is it moves pretty well if I select the Power button. Otherwise I drive it 95% of the time in it’s “every-day/towing” map, which runs around 160BHP.

The before figures was measured after the De Graaf zost install. BHP measured on the rear wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5F2801E-C456-4D59-8F98-363618B2A0DD.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	575570

I did a build thread where I also said “I love this Hilux”!! It is to me very close to a perfect compromise between everyday car, tourer and towing vehicle.

I know some will frown again, but I can sit at 120 GPS speed, heavily loaded with Ratel in tow and many times got 8.4Km/L return.

Oct last year I towed to Salt Rock. Ok I was not in a hurry and kept my speed to the 110 GPS mark. Filled up at Harrismith, when I turned North at Durban I was at 9.8Km/L.
    Dirk Theron

Hi Trevor,

The spacer and shackle budget mod works fine if you want to fit a larger tyre size and gain clearance.

As for carrying capacity, it did sag too much for My liking loaded and the Ratel in tow. I do tend to pack a lot.

I the got a sweat Black Friday deal and bought a front and rear bumper, which combined with my 12k pound winch necessitated a replacement suspension. The OME was specced accordingly and I am super happy, the drive and handling is a lot better.

As for the extra horses..... 76mm De Graag zost, Unichip Plus Torque-converter lockup. I still prefer this setup as the torque-converter makes a noticeable difference in power delivery and fuel economy. I do not have the Kw and Nm figures, only the below. All I can say is it moves pretty well if I select the Power button. Otherwise I drive it 95% of the time in it’s “every-day/towing” map, which runs around 160BHP.

The before figures was measured after the De Graaf zost install. BHP measured on the rear wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5F2801E-C456-4D59-8F98-363618B2A0DD.jpeg 
Views:	62 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	575570

I did a build thread where I also said “I love this Hilux”!! It is to me very close to a perfect compromise between everyday car, tourer and towing vehicle.

I know some will frown again, but I can sit at 120 GPS speed, heavily loaded with Ratel in tow and many times got 8.4Km/L return.

Oct last year I towed to Salt Rock. Ok I was not in a hurry and kept my speed to the 110 GPS mark. Filled up at Harrismith, when I turned North at Durban I was at 9.8Km/L.
    Thanks for your reply!!

So my truck has been remapped (no funds for exhaust but no CAT) and my figures are 164kw and 550NM on the rear wheels so very happy with that...

I travel a lot and almost always have my offroad caravan in tow with a load in the back...

I have noticed that my leaf pack is lying dead level i.e. dit lyk as of dot heeltemal gaan lê het!!!

So with no funds for now for OME syspension, am having my current blades re-tentioned and extra load bearing leaf fitted to existing pack by Van Zyls springworks and then am considering a coil-over with 4 shocls and rear extended "folded" shackles for R8900...giving a 2" lift all around...what are your thoughts on this?

Hi Dirk

Looking back, how would you compare the driving comfort of the OME vs the Coil Spacers and Extended Shackles, when not loaded or towing?

Thanks!
    Derik
    2018 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto Mall Crawler

2013 Ford Figo TDCi

2019 Bush Lapa Kewer B1927

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    Thanks for your reply!!

So my truck has been remapped (no funds for exhaust but no CAT) and my figures are 164kw and 550NM on the rear wheels so very happy with that...

I travel a lot and almost always have my offroad caravan in tow with a load in the back...

I have noticed that my leaf pack is lying dead level i.e. dit lyk as of dot heeltemal gaan lê het!!!

So with no funds for now for OME syspension, am having my current blades re-tentioned and extra load bearing leaf fitted to existing pack by Van Zyls springworks and then am considering a coil-over with 4 shocls and rear extended "folded" shackles for R8900...giving a 2" lift all around...what are your thoughts on this?
    Those Kw and Nm figured will be at the flywheel, not wheels

I did investigate the Van Zyl’s springs option and was advised against this on the forum, feedback from indifferent quality issues etc.

The OEM springs is very flat and on load do inverse. Check the distance between spring and bump stop or compare by parking next to another fairly new Hilux to measure. When both are unladen.

Personally, with budget constraints I would retain the coil spacer in front and get the extended shackle in the rear, then investigate one of the “leaf-assist” option available on the market. Someone with experience would hopefully provide input here.
    Dirk Theron

Quote Originally Posted by DerikB View Post
    Hi Dirk

Looking back, how would you compare the driving comfort of the OME vs the Coil Spacers and Extended Shackles, when not loaded or towing?

Thanks!
    Hi Derik,

I have opted for a fairly stiff suspension setup due to the extra weight in the front and installed +300Kg leaves in the rear plus opted for the OME Sport shocks in the rear. This setup was mainly chosen due to towing regularly and to enable me to Comfortably carry Loads.

I was worried this would result in a hard ride, but not. I was pleasantly surprised, the “jolt” feeling hitting a speed-bump is gone.

OME in my opinion is a quality product and one I have found to be best in their price bracket.

To add... the sagging at the back bothered me whilst towing. Also, even at a higher stance the roadholding is significantly improved with the OME setup.
    Last edited by DCTheron; 2020/06/14 at 09:14 AM.
    Dirk Theron

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Those Kw and Nm figured will be at the flywheel, not wheels

I did investigate the Van Zyl’s springs option and was advised against this on the forum, feedback from indifferent quality issues etc.

The OEM springs is very flat and on load do inverse. Check the distance between spring and bump stop or compare by parking next to another fairly new Hilux to measure. When both are unladen.

Personally, with budget constraints I would retain the coil spacer in front and get the extended shackle in the rear, then investigate one of the “leaf-assist” option available on the market. Someone with experience would hopefully provide input here.
    ...aplogies I actually did mean the flywheel

I did look a few other hiluxes some almost brand new and a few about the same age as mine and all had a very noticeably 'higher' stance than mine in the rear...

I will need to do something as my canopy and bin slider will be ready and fitted in the next 2 weeks or so and that alone is a good weight...then my battery box with 105a/h battery also gets fitted in the back...

Anyhow, I will keep investigating...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast