What features important for TPMS?

Default What features important for TPMS?

Lots of discussions about TPMS, but I cant find features thats important for especially off road and overland use.

I believe one of the most important is to have the ability to set your temp and pressure range, without factory settings preventing it?
    Secondly the lower value must be able to be set really low, say maybe 0.6bar? Some models wont allow setting below 1.2 bar.
    Thirdly the batteries of the sensor should be freely available, without the need to buy a new sensor?
    4, the sensor should be reasonably priced?
    5, a slow deflation warning could be handy?
    6, solar power might be a bonus?

Is there anymore features thats important?

Thanks

Default Re: What features important for TPMS?

While your features are certainly handy, I don't think many of them are actually important, assuming that one can silence the alarm. Of course, if the unit picks up something else going wrong, it should re-activate the alarm.

To my mind the most critical feature is that the sensors should be inside the rim, for the following reasons:
    I would have smashed several of the "cap style" sensors on rocky obstacles (I have broken off a valve stem).
    I want to be able to use the sensor to determine tire pressure during inflation. It's far easier than having to walk backwards and forwards between the wheel being inflated (where the compressor's pressure gauge is) and the compressor itself, as the compressor's own gauge doesn't show the correct pressure during inflation, but the TPMS does.
    I have heard of them getting either lost or stolen. Have even seen it happen on friend's cars. Sure some systems have features to prevent that, but it simply can't happen with an inside-the-rim system.

And with an inside-the-rim sensor, I don't think the battery should be easily replaceable, as that would mean that it is more likely that it would corrode or suffer connection issues. I want that unit sealed completely.

Even if one has to replace the system each time you replace the tyres, I still feel it's worth the cost. My system has now guarded two sets of tyres, but some sensors have stopped working, so it's time for a new one. It has lasted approximately 8 years, which I feel is reasonable.

As for solar power, it would be nice if it charges well enough that one never needs to connect it. If not, I don't want it. If the unit needs to be connected at times, it may as well be permanently connected.

My two cents.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Pete
    Although I agree with you regarding the in-tyre one being more safe and robust, the problem with them are when you sell the vehicle. Usually one just hand it over to the new owner, since getting them out is to much of a hassle.

When doing sand and dunes, I feel its important that the sensor is able to work at low inflation pressures, sInce it would just be beeping al the time?

The one I have has a minimum set pressure of 1.9 bar, with an allowance of 25%. So in practice the alarm goes of at anything under 1.5 bar.

But one can silence the alarm. If it detects the pressure dropping further, or a temperature issue, or voltage issue, the alarm will sound again, so I still have protection.

The one issue is that, if you switch it off and back on, the alarm will sound again. To prevent that, I unplug it from the lighter socket and plug it into a socket powered by my aux battery. It then remains on all the time.

So, as long as you can silence the alarm, it's not a problem.

Oh, I also don't really sell cars. I drive them fubar.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/05/26 at 05:06 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    Thanks Pete
    Although I agree with you regarding the in-tyre one being more safe and robust, the problem with them are when you sell the vehicle. Usually one just hand it over to the new owner, since getting them out is to much of a hassle.

When doing sand and dunes, I feel its important that the sensor is able to work at low inflation pressures, sInce it would just be beeping al the time?
    Nope, I (TyreMart) transferred mine form the GV to the Amarok. Chop chop.

http://www.tyreco.co.za/
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2020/05/26 at 05:29 PM.

I bought a simple set. I soon realized that I needed to be able to calibrate it and also set alarm level I needed for the road
    Mine gives alarm at 1.9bar and it is out by 0.2.bar. So I can't set 1.8 bar on dirt road. Very annoying to say the least. Now I will have to buy a new set
    Pajero Gen2 1996 2.8TDi LWB

The set we use has a reset feature that helps when you go from tar to sand or sand track to soft sand. You reset tyre pressures and zero the device and it alarms at a predetermined percentage below the new pressure set point. Allows for quick resets on the trips and also when leaving service stations, much like the systems in platkars. Some negatives but the positives are greater IMO.

Factors in the fact that the pressures sometimes have to be reset when hot - ie when leaving tar for dirt and the reverse.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

I would add the following to your list:

Robustness (several of my sensors have failed)
    Reliability
    No false alarms (one unit gives false alarms several time per week)

These are difficult to get from specifications - need recommendations from others?

I see prices are comming down with several units below R 1000. Choosing the right one looks tough!
    2020 Landcruiser 79 DC V6
    2012 Prado 150VX V6

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WillMartin For This Useful Post:

The Valour system seems to be robust, but the unit is expensive(R3500) and replacement sensors(R850) even more?

Otherwise they seem to tick all the boxes. Exept maybe for 12V plug instead of solar.
    With phones, cameras etc the dash and centre console becomes a mess with all the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    The Valour system seems to be robust, but the unit is expensive(R3500) and replacement sensors(R850) even more?

Otherwise they seem to tick all the boxes. Exept maybe for 12V plug instead of solar.
    With phones, cameras etc the dash and centre console becomes a mess with all the wires.

As with many things in life, there is a reason why they are more expensive?
    And if you do a permanent install (as recommended to enable slow leak detection) you don't have to have a clogged dash/console.

Side note: If you buy an additional sensor and install it in your fith wheel, you can rotate your wheels without loosing the benefit of having a TPMS

I have the tire moni sets for many year now. A few sensors needed to be replaced over the years but further no issues. The only disadvantage is on long valve stems the sensor made it to swing quit far out and the valve perished over time and need to be replaced. It warned me every time so far on a slow puncture. I use the 6 sensor set to have 2 for either a trailer or the airbags. The wheel that goes below the lower threshold setting starts to blinking if it was silenced on the screen.

I seldom check the temperatures. Not sure what is the lowest threshold setting ability but done some dune trips with them and could deflated to 0.8 kpa without setting the alarm off, same for the airbags that is mostly on .4 to .6 kpa.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/05/27 at 10:49 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Hi
    Does anybody have any recommendations on which brand of TPMS to buy? Does anybody have any experience (negative or positive) with the Steel-mate system?

Ideally I would like a combination of internal and external sensors feeding into the same receiving unit (internal for tyres in use), but external for spares.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Emilius View Post
    Hi
    Does anybody have any recommendations on which brand of TPMS to buy? Does anybody have any experience (negative or positive) with the Steel-mate system?

Ideally I would like a combination of internal and external sensors feeding into the same receiving unit (internal for tyres in use), but external for spares.

Regards
    I've got the Steel Mate system, with external sensors... And I'm very happy.
    I will say, however, that the tiny nipple in the sensor isn't the most robust... I've had to replace 3 sensors because it has broken off... however, I think this is an "external sensor" issue... internal won't have the same problem.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion