Interesting new engine ignition design

Default Interesting new engine ignition design

Source/More Info: Cheeseman, P., "A New Efficient Combustion Method for ICEs," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1314, 2020: https://www.sae.org/publications/tec.../2020-01-1314/

Abstract
    The best known methods for combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (ICEs) are: Spark Ignition (SI), Compression Ignition (CI) and Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI). Each of these combustion methods has well known limitations for efficiency and clean exhaust.

This paper presents a new method of combustion, called Entry Ignition (EI) that overcomes some of these limitations. EI burns a homogeneous fuel air mixture at constant pressure with combustion occurring at the inlet where the unburned mixture flows into the combustion chamber. Combustion results from the unburned mixture mixing with the much hotter burned gases already in the combustion chamber. EI can operate in a conventional piston-type engine, with the only major change being in the valving.

EI’s efficiency gain results from the following. Firstly, EI is not subject to “knocking” and so can operate at CI-level compression ratios or higher. Secondly, EI allows lean burn, which improves efficiency for basic thermodynamic reasons. Thirdly, an engine using EI can fully expand the combustion gases (Brayton cycle), and finally, EI has reduced heat loss relative to the other combustion methods.

These efficiency boosting effects combine independently to give a thermal efficiency of 63%, based on thermodynamic textbook-derived computer simulations. Because both EI and SI burn a homogeneous mixture, they do not produce significant particulate emissions. Also, EI can burn sufficiently lean that NOx production is kinetically suppressed, so that exhaust cleanup may be unnecessary.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Default Re: Interesting new engine ignition design

As someone with a little experience, I think it will be overly complicated and expensive to maintain.

I think that the electrical vehicle will be it's downfall before it will be a proven concept.

But an interesting idea.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

For a stationary engine running at a fixed speed this may work. Cannot see how it can ever be put into a production vehicle with that level of complexity.
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    For a stationary engine running at a fixed speed this may work. Cannot see how it can ever be put into a production vehicle with that level of complexity.
    don't underestimate microprocessor speed and capacity

Not so long ago, variable valve timing and multi-point sequential injection was impossible: now just about every single new vehicle has it.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

This is a double expansion engine. Triple and quadruple expansion steam engines were in use over a century ago on ships. The Titanic had twin quad expansion engines. The rotary valve can be replaced by another steam age valve - The one used to send steam to the twin double sided pistons used on steam trains. It's principle is the same and proven unlike the rotary valve suggested.

But this is going to a an expensive engine. A three times requirement for cylinders of different sizes. It falls foul of the law of diminishing returns. It's like getting 10 km/h more out of a car. It's possible but costs more than the car itself.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    This is a double expansion engine. Triple and quadruple expansion steam engines were in use over a century ago on ships. The Titanic had twin quad expansion engines. The rotary valve can be replaced by another steam age valve - The one used to send steam to the twin double sided pistons used on steam trains. It's principle is the same and proven unlike the rotary valve suggested.

But this is going to a an expensive engine. A three times requirement for cylinders of different sizes. It falls foul of the law of diminishing returns. It's like getting 10 km/h more out of a car. It's possible but costs more than the car itself.
    I agree and unfortunately there is potential for carbon buildup that can make the rotary valve less effective.
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

Not so long ago, variable valve timing and multi-point sequential injection was impossible: now just about every single new vehicle has it.
    Not worried about the electronics, even modern variable valve timing is mechanically relatively simple systems.

I'm worried about the new hardware on this engine, specifically the fancy rotary valve sitting in the combustion chamber

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

What about a No-Camshaft Engine? ('Freevalve')
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/05/26 at 10:04 AM.

Wankel is also non-valve.

I think it's an amazing engine, if they can just spend some more money on improving it more.

The British Napier Deltic Diesel. Extremely compact with three crankshafts and opposing pistons. No valves and supercharged. 18 cylinders and 36 pistons driving three crankshafts. Used on trains and ships. The only examples I know of in SA were fitted to SA Navy minesweepers bought from the UK. For the working principle see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3bj47TAYiU

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 507
Size:  807.4 KB
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2020/05/26 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Wankel is also non-valve.

I think it's an amazing engine, if they can just spend some more money on improving it more.
    wankel unfortunately has fundamental design issues that cannot be engineered out such as the shape of the combustion chamber, plus the fact that the chamber effectively moves as combustion takes place so the flame front is always trying to catch up.

wonderful engine, but there is a reason every manufacturer has abandoned it.
    Last edited by mullerza; 2020/05/26 at 09:00 PM.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

This looks similar to an article I read, and can't find again. The subject was individually controlled/actuated valves. Tremendous theoretical increase in performance and efficiency but reliability never got anything past a prototype...

These kinds of ideas are dependant on someone actually finding a way to implement the design...
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

I have seen enough systems that folks said "it will never...." that turned out to be every day in the modern world.
    My late uncle was a motor mechanic and I remember him warning against a too high compression ratio to avoid detonation, fast forward 30 years and my son's Audi rs4 v8 had direct injection like a diesel that allowed us to supercharge that engine to silly compression on an already high compression engine......safely. Impossible dreams is becoming common and everyday technology.

The first diesel I did in matri was an old 404 peugeot bakkie that got washed down river in the floods in Lydenburg. I remember the engine was sent to Sartor Bros as they were the "best" motor engineers and they could set the diesel pump to a t.
    Turbos were used on the more upmarket trucks and tuning a diesel was a combination of science and witchcraft. Today turbos are the norm and common rail ijection is the standard with electronics doing all of the engine control and of course diesel engines making torque that easily puts an equivalent petrol to shame.

I doubt that I will see this new technology come in to commercial production but who knows? they say the first person to reach the 200 year old mark has already been born maybe its me but I doubt that even more
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    This looks similar to an article I read, and can't find again. The subject was individually controlled/actuated valves. Tremendous theoretical increase in performance and efficiency but reliability never got anything past a prototype...

These kinds of ideas are dependant on someone actually finding a way to implement the design...
    Read something a while ago that makes me pretty sure they are using something like this in F1...
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Read something a while ago that makes me pretty sure they are using something like this in F1...
    F1 uses normal cam, but the valve springs are replaced with pneumatic systems as wire springs just cannot cope with the high RPM

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post: