Your Idea of a Beginner Overland Vehicle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Your Idea of a Beginner Overland Vehicle

In doing some more reading on the forum over the weekend (this thread got me thinking https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/143183-Older-SUV-for-overlanding-trips/page2).

What would you guys consider a "starter" vehicle for overlanding whilst being on a budget. I posted a thread about the Toyota Land Cruiser 80 and 105 series but the diesels are difficult to come by and will come at a premium. So i would like to ask the gurus for some guidance.

Toyota land cruiser 80, 105 or a Land Rover Defender 110 or Nissan Patrol?

What other vehicles would you recommend in the R100,000 to R150,000 region that would serve as an excellent base. I want to learn to work on my own vehicle with the aim of building and improving on the vehicle as time goes by i.e. roof top tents, drawers systems, solar, etc. Its just the missus and i at the moment but the intention is to make this a family vehicle. Reliability and availability of spares is an important conisderation.

It would be great to buy something with a bit of kit on it and use some cash to recon the engine etc but open to your advice.

This popped up a short while ago on gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...90910270106809

Default Re: Your Idea of a Beginner Overland Vehicle

1993 model ? Me think you will be disappointed . D3 v8 , you should be able to pick one up under R100 000 awesome car and won’t break the bank as a holiday car . I service and repair mine myself , not rocked science anymore . Your family will love it
    Using Tapatalk

Gen 3 Pajero DiD, great value, solid and off road ability cannot be faulted.

Id rather pay a bit more and get a 2003 pajero with say 150k on clock than a 1993 cruiser with 280k that is heavy on juice.
    Last edited by Kariba; 2020/05/24 at 11:23 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kariba For This Useful Post:

Your closing statement raises antennas. Why do you want to buy a vehicle with a shot heart. If the motor needs doing, what other gremlins are hiding in the suspension and tranny.

R150k plus engine rebuild and kitting gets you to R220k mark quickly so look at something in that range - trust me, they gonna pop up in the next 6-12 months unfortunately due to the knock-on effects of COVID.

Test drive various brands. We are brand bias 😂

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Kariba View Post

Id rather pay a bit more and get a 2003 pajero with say 150k on clock than a 1993 cruiser with 280k that is heavy on juice.
    I'm backing that, 100%

I can tell you the absolute best value overlanding vehicle but you may not like it, but it's the vehicle to buy if you use your head.
    The previous model toyota Fortuner is a very solid vehicle with the same mechanicals as the Hilux, arguably a better offroad vehicle with its shorter wheelbase. Spares will be available for years and all over africa.
    I had a lifted fortuner and drove it for 250,000 km all over Southern africa without a days problem.
    You could pick up a 2007 model for around 140,000.
    I believe the previous generation ft can fill the space left by the 80 series lc in years to come.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Depends on where you will be overlanding, Southern African, East Africa or all the way through to Europe etc.
    For Southern Africa the Fortunas etc are fine, most parks and areas are relatively good road wise with a bit of sand and mud and plenty of spares at hand.
    East Africa and above I'd only use a Land Cruiser or Land Rover and older less electronic models. The fuel is also a bit more dodgy so no fancy modern injection systems etc.
    The tougher of the 2 is the cruiser, the Landy will get you anywhere but needs more love. Spares are available for both all through Africa.
    Everyone on here has a different preference and bias but it boils down to use.
    The main thing is the mechanical side, regardless of vehicle make sure it's 100% and re mods tires and underbody protection are the 2 main issues the rest you can do over time.
    Also look at resale value, if this is a starter vehicle you will more than likely upgrade at a later date.
    My starter vehicle in the late 80s was a series 2 Land Rover, did the whole of southern, eastern and a bit of northern and central Africa in her, I'm sure that's why my back is buggered today
    Happy overlanding, it's addictive and there is always something worth looking at over the next ridge.
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1982 Mog 416
    1980 FJ45 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu)
    1958 series 2 (Betty)
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

1999-2001 Patrol TD42
    2003 - 2008 Patrol 3.0D
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/05/25 at 08:02 AM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

Project patrol for sale. 1994 4.2 SGL Petrol. R55.OOO ONCO Middelburg MP

Bit cheaper, so you can kit it to your liking. This vehicle will last the next 15 years and more..... They just never break!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

https://scontent.fjnb7-1.fna.fbcdn.n...6e&oe=5EEFD3CC

https://www.facebook.com/keith.frand...location=group
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/05/25 at 02:30 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by Kariba View Post

"Toyota land cruiser 80, 105 or a Land Rover Defender 110 or Nissan Patrol?"

And your answer is a Pajero?

Amazing.

I say Patrol.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

If you are interested in a Patrol, contact Tinus Lotz on https://www.patrol4x4.co.za/

He knows of just about all the Patrols for sale in SA...

Another option is to give him your price range and he will find the Patrol for you, maybe not 1st day, but fairly soon....
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/05/25 at 02:42 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by RapaNui View Post
    In doing some more reading on the forum over the weekend (this thread got me thinking https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/143183-Older-SUV-for-overlanding-trips/page2).

What would you guys consider a "starter" vehicle for overlanding whilst being on a budget. I posted a thread about the Toyota Land Cruiser 80 and 105 series but the diesels are difficult to come by and will come at a premium. So i would like to ask the gurus for some guidance.

Toyota land cruiser 80, 105 or a Land Rover Defender 110 or Nissan Patrol?

What other vehicles would you recommend in the R100,000 to R150,000 region that would serve as an excellent base. I want to learn to work on my own vehicle with the aim of building and improving on the vehicle as time goes by i.e. roof top tents, drawers systems, solar, etc. Its just the missus and i at the moment but the intention is to make this a family vehicle. Reliability and availability of spares is an important conisderation.

It would be great to buy something with a bit of kit on it and use some cash to recon the engine etc but open to your advice.

This popped up a short while ago on gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...90910270106809
    Before all the answers confuse you just bear the following in mind.
    • There is a lot more vehicles that are just as capable to take you all the way to europe than the 4 mentioned.
    • There is nothing wrong with a modern vehicle for overlandoing but newer vehicle have more electronics that can go wrong than older vehicle.
    • Normal aspirated is more reliable with higher mileage than forced induction engines.
    • Compile a shortlist not just with the vehicles you posted but also the other ones mentions.

Enjoy the shopping
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

What is overlanding to you?

For 95% of "overland" trips, any 4x4 double cab with a canopy, duel battery, fridge and a roof top tent will be more than sufficient. Or if you don't want a bakkie, then a Fortuner.

If you want to cover 99%, then add a fancy canopy with drawer systems, kitchen unit, awnings, raised suspension, snorkel etc.

That's the reason for my question - what is overland to you? A 3 week Namibia / Botswana trip or a 6 month cross Africa?
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    What is overlanding to you?

For 95% of "overland" trips, any 4x4 double cab with a canopy, duel battery, fridge and a roof top tent will be more than sufficient. Or if you don't want a bakkie, then a Fortuner.

If you want to cover 99%, then add a fancy canopy with drawer systems, kitchen unit, awnings, raised suspension, snorkel etc.

That's the reason for my question - what is overland to you? A 3 week Namibia / Botswana trip or a 6 month cross Africa?
    Very important questions.

I covered the length of Namibia and the western part of Botswana for 3 weeks in a bog standard VW T3 Syncro with family on board. Not even a roof rack!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

If diesel is not a requirement, look right here.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Patrol-4500-GL

Thanks a Mill Dirk, but sold this morning. Damn nice Candidate, though!!!
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    If diesel is not a requirement, look right here.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Patrol-4500-GL
    And SOLD to a Member, thanks to Everyone for all the interest shown
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Following on from Groenman's excellent post you also need to indicate whether this is a pure holiday vehicle or something which will double as a daily runner.

If the former I would honestly recommend trading in whatever you current daily runner is to add to your fund. I can't see that a 10 year old Ford, Mazda, Isuzu, Toyota double cab is less reliable than an almost 30 year old cruiser.

If the vehicle is also supposed to be a daily runner and you only have R150k to spend you might have to accept that a reliable 4x4 is currently out of budget

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    If the vehicle is also supposed to be a daily runner and you only have R150k to spend you might have to accept that a reliable 4x4 is currently out of budget
    Can't agree here. That Patrol that Petri just sold has been barely run in and will probably outlast anything you've owned.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    "Toyota land cruiser 80, 105 or a Land Rover Defender 110 or Nissan Patrol?"And your answer is a Pajero? Amazing. I say Patrol.
    "What other vehicles would you recommend in the R100,000 to R150,000 region that would serve as an excellent base"Yip I say Pajero, amazing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast