Farm Stay near Clarens - What to Add Here??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Farm Stay near Clarens - What to Add Here??

VERY close Friends of ours have this stunning place near Clarens, actually about 15km from there, between Clarens and Bethlehem.

Look here...............https://www.roodepoortfarm.co.za/

We're gonna spend the weekend there with them, probably only from tomorrow afternoon.

Anton, my Tjom is not really into 4x4íng or hunting or camping, that sort of things, but I have told him many many times, sitting around a braai fire with a bottle of John Deere, that he should maybe also explore those avenues, I really think there may be a HUGE market to expand in.

Anton has this lekker rocky 4x4 track behind the house, and quite a number of little trails on the farm, the gravel road from Bethlehem to his place is also really scenic, right alongside the Clarens tar road.

There is electricity, and plenty water - they are the owners of Life Water, with bottling being done on Roodepoort.

Again, I have no commercial interest here, but I just always thought that this would be a GREAT place for :

1) Camping maybe?? I'm talking maybe 10 or so spacious stands, maybe private ablutions, sort of an upmarket yet "rustic" in a way, think in the lines of Lesoba or Uithoek camp sites......sand stone, oregon, brass piping, squeaky clean (which it will be), nice lawn with rolling sandstone hills sort of campsite?
    I think this would really boost occupation, especially in Summer?? (see 3 below.......the hunting option may again boost occupancy in winter??)
    2) Even maybe off grid camping?? PLENTY spots there for that. But I'm thinking the complete opposite of (1) above, completely self sufficient, no ablution/water/power.
    3) And, lastly, hunting ?? But Family Orientated ONLY. Come stay in one of the (very upmarket) chalets, or camping, and combine hunting with these accommodation options??
    I'm talking a Dad and Son or Daughter outing, Hubby and Wife, etc etc.....not 10 Men coming down and having a ball (we all love that, but not in this case)......??
    There are basically only blesbok on the farm, that's why I'm thinking a "Family Only" sort of hunting option - its an affordable and "easy" buck to shoot.
    This hunting "option" could also boost occupation in the Winter Months I think.

In General - you Guys think this could be a viable Opportunity?? Very obviously the First Step is finding out if there is indeed a Target Market for this, and then what the Potential Market is.

I just think that this is a VERY nice spot, and there really are NO other similar places in the area - maybe Golden Gate for camping, but that's really an altogether different "Market" I think.

Thanks - have a look at the site, ALL opinions greatly appreciated!!
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet"
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"[/COLOR]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Farm Stay near Clarens - What to Add Here??

Yes please!Let me know when I can come make some dust and flip a tent!

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

I'd be interested in camping there for sure. The "full service" or "off-grid" options would both have their appeal.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Then..........a VERY "Ball Park" figure - what would one pay for (say, per night, max 6 persons per site):

1) Camping - with new, nice, maybe even private ablutions, pool, nice and neat, water/braais/electricity/etc etc all 100% in place?? I'm talking Eden Park/Mbizi/Uithoek etc etc "standards"here?

2) Offgrid camping??

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Then..........a VERY "Ball Park" figure - what would one pay for (say, per night, max 6 persons per site):1) Camping - with new, nice, maybe even private ablutions, pool, nice and neat, water/braais/electricity/etc etc all 100% in place?? I'm talking Eden Park/Mbizi/Uithoek etc etc "standards"here?2) Offgrid camping??
    1) Up to R300.00/p if setting is good enough (The setting and ablutions are important) with power and Up to R200.00/p if the offgrids are secluded and fantastic

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    1) Up to R300.00/p if setting is good enough (The setting and ablutions are important) with power and Up to R200.00/p if the offgrids are secluded and fantastic
    It is a very fine balance.
    @300 pp it is R600 for a couple.
    At just R200 more you can stay in one of their Chalets or at the Tin Tin trailer for the same price of R300 pp.
    Last edited by BarnieH; 2020/05/22 at 10:15 AM.

Lets say R 450/R 500 per Site, max 6 Persons??

Offgrid - R 300, max 6??

Guys then - what do you think, the setting/area/secluded feel/etc etc........is this a crazy idea or not??

Again, there really are NO comparable camping sites in the area - that includes a HUGE area, Bethlehem and surrounding towns, etc etc.

This is not just for the Clarens weekend visitor - hell, I'll be FIRST to go camp there too.

Also a VERRRRRY nice spot for bikers maybe - there are many in Clarens, every weekend.

Inputs PLEASE??

Petri, preferences for camping environment varies as much as preferences which vehicle to buy.

You have a setup like Tsaugab Rivercamp in Nam versus stand at Hartenbos.
    I prefer exclusivity and am prepared to pay more for that than having a tiled bathroom floor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    Petri, preferences for camping environment varies as much as preferences which vehicle to buy.

You have a setup like Tsaugab Rivercamp in Nam versus stand at Hartenbos.
    I prefer exclusivity and am prepared to pay more for that than having a tiled bathroom floor.
    Agreed Barnie - but what about a venue with upmarket chalets (like it is now), add an upmarket campsite (small, max say 10 sites) AND then an offgrid campsite, all three these "entities" reasonably far apart, with the offgrid option obviously Way out of the way??

Agreed Barnie - but what about a venue with upmarket chalets (like it is now), add an upmarket campsite (small, max say 10 sites) AND then an offgrid campsite, all three these "entities" reasonably far apart, with the offgrid option obviously Way out of the way??
    That sounds good.
    Will take some capital to develop though.
    We need breakaways like that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:

Thanks so far.

.....just thinking : If Anton first "test the waters" with offering an offgrid camping thing?? That's minimal capital outlay (if any), there IS a very nice sort of infrastructure already in place - example, you can still use the pool, there is electricity points, water etc etc at the House (if really needed).

Or not?? Just a Thought.

I just think if people want to camp off grid there, and occupancy looks good, hell, then surely a "full blast" upmarket camping site would work??

I forgot one thing - the road to there is gravel. Maybe 6/7/8 km or so, if you turn off the Clarens tar road, maybe 15km os ro if you take the gravel road from Bethlehem.

I wouldnt recommend something like, say, a Penta or Splash etc etc. Possible maybe, but I just would'nt.

For sure we will be interested in the off the grid option (own toilet/water and power) at reasonable pricing and also the more luxury option. This is a perfect base to explore the area....even work in a visit to a car dealer in Bethlehem

Cant WAIT for tomorrow, taking Olive out a bit. Maybe that Mog too, just to check breakover and rollowver angles?? (Just joking Neil.......I think)

I missed those sandstone cliffs, and especially "Skoolbus", a certain rock formation just above the House.

Everyone will be sleeping late Sunday morning, I'll then take Olive for an early morning Polisiekoffie up that rocky trail behind the House.

Braai skaapstertjies, John Deere Brandy and I think we still have some springbok tongetjies.

Afterwards maybe take the 223'tjie and see if there are any jackal.

If anyone wants I can take some pics and post, I still definitely think there is a LOT of unexplored potential here.

Pic taken off the website of Skoolbus....a bit far, you have to be at the turn-off, then its quite nice, looks like a REAL school bus, wheels and everything.

Happy Days - ek bly sommer heelweek net daar
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The new reality is that camping with private ablutions at a reasonable price will be popular. Many will be avoiding shared ablutions for a while still. The alternative will be shared ablutions cleaned after every use, which could become expensive due to a higher staff requirement.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katlagter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    The new reality is that camping with private ablutions at a reasonable price will be popular. Many will be avoiding shared ablutions for a while still. The alternative will be shared ablutions cleaned after every use, which could become expensive due to a higher staff requirement.
    VERY good point, havent thought of that, thanks!

On my way there at around 11, will have a looky see. Maybe I can convince Anton - but ja, he's just not into camping/4x4/hunting stuff.

Great very keen especially on the off-grid concept. Only toilet really needed. I cant wait. Hope it happens.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Great very keen especially on the off-grid concept. Only toilet really needed. I cant wait. Hope it happens.
    Thing is Pete - I'm very sure there will be enough toilets/showers/fountain water/electricity (maybe for charging something) available for "non chalet" dwellers, meaning offgrid campers - but that would mean the offgrid sites shoud be near the House and chalets??

Or not really?? Would an offgrid camper be happy to drive, say, 1 or 2km to a bathroom, or get some water, or maybe charge something ??

Maybe also not really specific offgrid sites, more like designated areas, so every Guest can sort of pick his own spot?

Jeez.........I'm really pushing the place here.

But he's my groot tjommie, and I just really feel that he can easily add value
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2020/05/23 at 09:39 AM.

Jy moet daai fhotie post op "Where am I"

Pet friendly is a niche market but the area makes for great hiking with dogs. We have stayed at Old Millsdrift which is in the area and our daily walks included the farm dogs too. My Ridgeback being a city slicker was taught a few hunting tricks by the farms Ridgebacks, at one stage they chased a rabbit deep into the Malutis on the Lesotho side of the Caledon River.

It could be an awesome option.

Thing is Pete - I'm very sure there will be enough toilets/showers/fountain water/electricity (maybe for charging something) available for "non chalet" dwellers, meaning offgrid campers - but that would mean the offgrid sites shoud be near the House and chalets??

Or not really?? Would an offgrid camper be happy to drive, say, 1 or 2km to a bathroom, or get some water, or maybe charge something ??

Maybe also not really specific offgrid sites, more like designated areas, so every Guest can sort of pick his own spot?

Jeez.........I'm really pushing the place here.

But he's my groot tjommie, and I just really feel that he can easily add value
    Petri personally I prefer the more isolated sites. Meaning I like a bit of space between myself and my neighbour. Generally most people are pretty organised. I do think though it all depends on what would best suit the surroundings. Estelle and I did something similar on our farm and we would be more than happy to give your good friend some advice.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2020/05/23 at 02:48 PM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast