Corona Virus is over

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Corona Virus is over

To stimulate some discussion away from the current corona virus stress I thought it would be fun for people to put together their ideal post-corona camping trip.

The parameters are as follows:
    1) Borders are open;
    2) Bookings are freely available;
    3) You have a suitable vehicle (reasonable fuel & water capacity etc);
    4) Money is not a concern however it is a camping trip and not a luxury holiday;
    5) Maximum duration 21 days.

Lets try and keep it positive, some people enjoy a new destination every night while some prefer to arrive at one destination and remain there for their whole trip.

Lets play

JHB - Rakops River Lodge x 1 night

Rakops River Lodge - Kori x 3 nights

Kori - Passarge 2 x 2 nights

Passarge 2 - Audi Camp x 2 nights

Day 2 @ Audi would include a scenic flight

Audi camp - Third Bridge x 2 nights

Third Bridge - Maghotho x 3 nights

Maghoto - Savuti x 1 Night

Savuti - Senyati x 3 nights

Include a cruise on the Chobe River and a day trip to Vic Falls

Senyati - Ihaha x 2 nights

Ihaha - Woodlands Stopover x 1 night

Woodlands - JHB

Default Re: Corona Virus is over

Excellent idea of a thread "half-full" pint.

Family circumstances, legal obligations and this flippin virus have put any decent travels on hold for me at present. This will change.......

Then I plan to head out on the road northwards, very, very slowly. How far?.....very , but who knows? Same for how long?......

Will be quite happy to do long portions solo if that is what it comes to. Will look forward to meeting plenty of other happy travelers and to sharing my experiences with all interested.

Must just make sure that an old fart like myself survives you know what .
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Excellent idea of a thread "half-full" pint.

Family circumstances, legal obligations and this flippin virus have put any decent travels on hold for me at present. This will change.......

Then I plan to head out on the road northwards, very, very slowly. How far?.....very , but who knows? Same for how long?......

Will be quite happy to do long portions solo if that is what it comes to. Will look forward to meeting plenty of other happy travelers and to sharing my experiences with all interested.

Must just make sure that an old fart like myself survives you know what .
    Ain't that the truth.
    I retired end of Feb and we were still contemplating our travel direction (never mind route) when "you know what" happened.
    I even had my car serviced on Monday to make sure we are ready to pull the trigger as soon as possible.
    We have limited commitments to be concerned about at the moment, except for a concept to start building on our stand on the West Coast at some point in the no too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Excellent idea of a thread "half-full" pint.Must just make sure that an old fart like myself survives you know what .
    We are in the same boat, I will be the one without a mask. I retired in 2006 but started working again when I decided to go farming. Planning to retire when my son has learn enough about farming.Getting back to the Thread Focus, The title is miss leading but a wonderful idea Half Pint. I will develop my imaginary plan in a word document as I want to use it later on and will attach it to this thread. I hope this thread develops into an aid for future trip planners.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Mine is simple - a circumnavigation of Zimbabwe. No fixed itinerary, but will include Gona, eastern highlands, Mavuradhonas, Mana, Chizarira, Hwange and Matopos if I can fit that all in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

O nice.

1. The way I feel today, I can spend all the available time at Polentswa no 2 or Khiding. Just park off there, gaze over the pan, enjoy the sunsets and hope to hear a lion roar.

2. Or float up to the north of Namibia stopping at my favourite places visited up to now: Bagatelle, Erindi, Madisa, Kunene river lodge and Waterberg Wilderness plateau. Maybe a night or 2 outside Etosha.

3. Or CKGR. As much time as possible at Leopard pan, then around the corner to Nxai pan, Planet Boabab for a night (I just find it so funky) and Goo Moremi gorge on the way back.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/05/21 at 12:05 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Would love to still have my dreams of end of year 2019. this you know what has put a full stop to my business and the expenses did not stop. Making very big dent in my savings so hoping things can start going again,
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    Dung beetles have right of way
    2006 DISCO 3 TDV6 HSE sold
    1998 Disco I V8 Bought it back Sold again.
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)
    1974 Series III S/W modified Ford V6 Defender box. Body work (Sold)

Yes, we plan a long Africa trip, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Western Tanzania, Uganda, Kenia, Tanzania, Malawi and Mozambique as soon as wife is retired which should be in the near future. Hope
    borders are open again at that time.

For this year a bit dull. If we can drive late August/September we take the Cruiser with RTT and old Jurgens Fleetline. Sleep at Vryburg, then Oranjerus past Upington, Augrabies, Pofadder, leave
    caravan at Pofadder and over Klein Pella to the Oranjerivier and all the way to Groot Melkboom, back to Pofadder, camp at Springbok for a few nights and drive to the Skilpad Reserve,
    Hondeklipbaai and look for flowers if any in the area, The Baths at Citrusdal, Strandfontein, Lambertsbay (mainly for Muisbosskerm). For 4x4 we use the RTT otherwise the caravan which must
    stay on tar. Just too cold and unpleasant in a RTT next to the Westcoast so this time with the caravan. Down to Cape Town, Ou Skip or Mountain Breeze outside Stellenbosch. Back through the
    Karoo on tar but some zig-zag. Typical left at Matjiesfontein, Sutherland, back to Matjiefontein, Laingsburg, Beaufort Wes, Victoria Wes left to Loxton, Carnarvon, Vosburg, Britstown. Then
    Prieska, Douglas, Kimberley and home via Vryburg.

Still a lot of planning to do, the above is just a rough idea for a trip.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

1) Caledon/Paarl/Surrounds trip, me and Mamma, for 10 days or so

2) Fish Fish and Fish on my beloved Katse - if there's water in it

3) Mariza and the kids discovered a VERY nice place in Central Berg, I couldnt join, would LOVE to spend a long weekend there, ASAP, while it lekker cold and snowy and we have a kaggel etc etc.
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    We are in the same boat, I will be the one without a mask. I retired in 2006 but started working again when I decided to go farming. Planning to retire when my son has learn enough about farming.Getting back to the Thread Focus, The title is miss leading but a wonderful idea Half Pint. I will develop my imaginary plan in a word document as I want to use it later on and will attach it to this thread. I hope this thread develops into an aid for future trip planners.
    The title is pure click-bait (I'm hoping for a career at one of our media houses)

Back to the OP's trip

Jhb to rakops is a fairly long haul for a day

I leave PTA about an hour or so before sunrise as the first bit is on the double lane N1 so by the time I turn west it is light

Then a stop at kharma for wood is a must - best wood in the whole area - maybe even the whole of bots - bit expensive but nicely packaged so it doesn't separate in the disorganised back of the Landy

Then a refuel at Lekanthle and the spar in town is a fairly good one if you forget things like I do

There is a nice camping spot about 5 kilo's or so on the way out of town - clean , Hot Hot showers , decent braai and concrete tables for the evening meal

Done this a couple of times and am generally in the campsite by 2:30 ish

They have lots of cats though

Then back into town the following morning to get what I forgot I forgot about

I see this thread has some momentum, Well done Halfpint. My 21 day is through South Eastern Zimbabwe. See attached detail plan.Cheers and have a good break.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

No grandiose plans for us, showing my family and the Pajero the sea and a sunset supper on a fire is first priority.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

I will happily spend a month (or more ) at any of the following - ....... OK, list is too long.
    But I will settle for just the two weeks in KTP that we missed out at the beginning of May.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=PierredW;4394924]Yes, we plan a long Africa trip, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Western Tanzania, Uganda, Kenia, Tanzania, Malawi and Mozambique as soon as wife is retired which should be in the near future. Hope
    borders are open again at that time.

To give you some ideas, you could have a look at https://unochoenafrica.blogspot.com which captures our 10 months from Nairobi to Nairobi via Cape Town. We spent time in all of your destinations except Mozambique, and also visited Botswana, Namibia, and Rwanda (and RSA which is not on your list for obvious reasons).

A couple of thoughts on "highlight places" to stay:

Zambia: Liuwa PLains NP, Kasanka NP, and McBride's in Kafue NP. Forest Inn on the Great North Road.

Western Tanzania: Lakeshore Lodge, Kipili,

Uganda: Lacam Lodge at Sipi Falls, Rwenzori View Guest House in Fort Portal,

Kenya: Bwatherongi campsite in Samburu NP, Eliye Springs Lodge at Lake Turkana, Barnley's Guest House outside Kitale,

Malawi: Chintheche Inn, Chelinda campsite in Nyika NP, Mushroom Farm in Livingstonia.

21 days is to short to get here but I'd advise anybody with the time to get to the serengeti and Ngorongoro asap, they are vertualy empty!
    I normally avoid the northern parks like the plague, to many people but i spent a few days there recently and it's better than the 90's, not a car in site. You will probably never get the opportunity to see it like this again.
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1992 DAF T244 (Beast)
    1982 Mog 416
    1980 FJ45 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2 (dugudugu)
    1958 series 2
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

All I have on my mind is fishing.

I've been daydreaming about the tiger fishing trip at Jozini that we had to postpone in April.
    Lodge was kind enough to agree to a postponement untill we are able to travel again.
    As soon as we are released i will be looking at dates that we can head that way.

Have a booking at Witsand for December. Hoping that we will be able to travel at that stage so that i can go hunt some kob.

Best i can do for now is keep the boat clean and play with my tackle (fishing tackle that is).

Further into the future I would love to head to the Zambezi or Okavango next year, been a couple of years since our last trip to that part of the world. Best place on earth and the best part is the kids love it. Ask them if they prefer a holiday at the sea or a Botswana holiday and Bots wins every time.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    I will happily spend a month (or more ) at any of the following - ....... OK, list is too long.
    But I will settle for just the two weeks in KTP that we missed out at the beginning of May.
    But since we were able to delay our booking (and get even better spots ) we have a LOT to look forward to. The glass is more than half full!

A 3 month trip away from PE..something like this ...

- Travel East ..2 weeks at Yellow Sands near E London including a week end at my cousins place (Dr Pete Meyer) at Black Rock nearby
    - 1 night at Macnichols S Coast
    - 7 nights at Monks Cowl Campsite.. Champagne Valley Central Berg
    - 7 Nights at Mahai campsite Royal Natal National Park
    - 1 night Berg en Dal Kruger Park
    - 7 Nights at Maroela Campsite Central Kruger
    - 7 nights at Balule Campsite Central Kruger
    - 7 Nights at Tsendze campsite N Kruger Park
    - 7 Nights camping at Punda Maria far N Kruger
    - 1 night at Pretoria NKW campsite. 1 Night Twee Rivieren Kgalagadi Park
    - 10 Nights Polentswa campsite 1 Kgalagadi
    - 10 nights Nossob private campsite no 7
    - 21 Days Rooiputs campsite No 3 ..My favorite spot on Planet Earth
    - 1 night at Kambro campsite Britstown Farm stay
    - 7 Nights at a Farm near Ladismith Klein Karoo (Forgotten name but I have it in my records ) ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY Deluxe
    - 7 nights Marlu Farm near Steytlerville..Single campsite along the Groot River..Donkey Geyser and no electricity ..Astrophotography
    ..Back to Summerstrand PE

Would love to go to Okavango, Hwange, Etosha , Kafue, Mana Pools , South Luangwa etc but by Budget doesnt cut it anymore so my new hobby of Astrophotography/Seascape/Landscape Photography is fast replacing my lifelong love of Wild Life Photography & Landy Defender travel through Greater Southern Africa where prices are prohibitive but I have good memories

A Namib desert trip.

Since money is no concern, as soon as we are done, go back to the start and do it again!
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast