1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 23

View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

2 15.38%
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

Look at this phrase: It's all coming together slowly. For now, the 1st, 3rd and 5th words are what you might be feeling. But in the end, 2 and 4 will remain, And that's where you want to be. Just keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    Look at this phrase: It's all coming together slowly. For now, the 1st, 3rd and 5th words are what you might be feeling. But in the end, 2 and 4 will remain, And that's where you want to be. Just keep going!
    Thank you for the kind words of motivation. It does help!

Today was visiting Brian and also picking up the outstanding zebra paint day.

Richard from the UK also asked me to help him with determining the correct size and strength of is lathe's wormbox spring. You can read about his adventures in restoring his lathe here.

Brian had finished the travelling steady's new bolt assembly as well as my wooden lathe's new chuck's adapter bush.

The new bush for the wooden lathe.

The new bolt assembly. The original is at the top and the new one at the bottom. It needs to start life from the bottom rung in this world of ours!

Thank you Brian! Very much appreciated!

The white paint donated by BASF. This is for the inside surface of the lamp's hood as well as for the backing splash plate inner surface so that I can see more clearly. At least I do not have a long nose and large sharp teeth!

Rimrite donated special black 2K paint to finish the electrical panel's cover with as well as the stand's tray edge with. I still need to figure out how to apply this special paint.

I was also given some guide coat by Rimrite to use to get the various part surfaces smooth!

I feel blessed! Thanks guys for all your help and assistance.

Brain also says "Cheers"!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Richard posted a picture of his lathe's wormbox spring and as you can see it is a bit broken. Looks like it lost its head ...

I said I will measure the spring from my lathe to allow him to find or make a new replacement spring. Here goes.

The diameter is 16,12 mm.

The current unloaded length is 38,44 mm.

The only outstanding value is the spring's K-factor. I am not going to post the value, but rather create a puzzle so that you can calculate the value yourself! Brain is super happy!

If you solve this, post your answer and maybe you can win a prize! Because it is an imperial spring, I decided to load it with imperial weights. I doubt if metric weights would have given the correct answer ...

Lightly compressed length as installed in position.

Loaded with 10 lb

A bit compressed.

And at length of 30,1 mm

Loaded with 15 lb

A bit more compressed

And at length of 28,02 mm

Loaded with 20 lb

Almost fully compressed

And at length of 26,02mm

Now you can calculate the K-factor of the spring!

People go to gyms to loose weight. OK, that was in the before Auntie C days ...

In this region, lathe parts come to me to gain weight!

It is hunting season and while my mates are a hunting (or is that drinking?) I have to be content with my own carcass on a chain, gaining weight.

Yes, it body filler day!

Drive end cover's second round of filler. It sure is hungry and is devouring the filler paste. This time I did most of the corners and leveled out the larger flat surfaces.

The stock was wagging its tail for some attention ... always a first time for some mud play

And onto sanding. Carl tackled the carcass and I, the lid. OK, the cover. The end cover. The lid on the drive end.

And it was morning and late morning and it was time for the third layer of lid filler. Getting the corners to final radius.

The stock's tail before and after first sanding.

The beast wanting its next fill ...

This time the filler went on easy and there was very little to sand. It was mainly blocking (shaping) the part's body and I must say that we generated very little dust. I am getting the hang of this!

Tomorrow I will spray the beast and the tailstock and try and get the lid's exterior smoothed down for a final filler spray.

Also, I need to take the Pajero in to get new front tyres. The next step in finding the vibration ...

Happy dreams of

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Sometimes I have cheated and used the yellow ms primer and just hand painted it on using masking tape as a dam.
    It high builds difficult areas fast . The purists will say it is not designed for such an application and doesnt gas or flash off properly but it works for me .

I assume you've taken a break. And that is excellent. Don't pass Begin. Don't collect R200. Go straight to beach. With Boss and inspector canines. It's perfectly okay if we see you, Carl and Student after the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    I assume you've taken a break. And that is excellent. Don't pass Begin. Don't collect R200. Go straight to beach. With Boss and inspector canines. It's perfectly okay if we see you, Carl and Student after the weekend.
    Actually I had to spend the day behind the desk working. Maybe I will have some time free over the weekend. Today is a desk day again.

We went walking at the beach yesterday afternoon. Nobody else as the wind was howling and it was freezing. But it was good!

Remember the moment when someone landed on Eloff street loaded with a hotel?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Remember the moment when someone landed on Eloff street loaded with a hotel?
    R2000 rent if I remember correctly. I used to try and buy all four stations. High frequency low income.

I have been working behind the desk and a few computer screens the last two days. Therefore not a lot of things happened in the garage.

This afternoon I had an hour so I fine tuned the new bolt assembly that Brian made for the traveling steady.

Now it look complete and can do some work!

Tomorrow I will attack the parts with paint and body filler!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

More than 30 000 views! Wow! Thanks to all of you participating and reading and having fun with Carl and myself. Brain also says this is cool like coffee!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

I was planning to spray some parts today but it was too cold and windy so I decided to change my plans and finish shaping the drive end cover and the tailstock.

The tailstock had a few obscure lines to get sanded in and shaped. It went quite quickly to get it to the final form I wanted.

The cover was another story. It had no reference surfaces to begin with and was just a lump of metal with some vague ideas of lines and surfaces. Sanding down the third application of body filler gave me what I wanted. A base to work from and form the corners and final surface levels.

Then onto applying the forth portions of body filler.

Then onto applying some more filler to get the corners and the final surface levels done

At this stage I did not know how to get to the next step so I messaged a friend that KNOWS ...

He came and showed me that now I need to cover the whole surface with filler and then smooth that down to get to an even surface consisting only of body filler.

There we are ...

On Monday I will get some 3M Lightweight filler and a special applicator that can do the corners and curved surfaces in a smooth and even manner.

Sleep tight ZZ's.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Monday came and went ... I found out that my NAS server died as well with the lightening strike and with it all my music, movies, books etc and etc.

If you have a broken or unused 3TB Toshiba HDTC9 external drive, let me know. I need the PC board to get the data off my drive.

Sigh ...

Yesterday was spent working and upgrading the firmware on all the routers and WiFi points in the house as somewhere something was altered by EISHKOM and Uncle Cyril's team. The network is now stable and a lot faster.

Today was spend sanding. That is playing in sanded dust, not diving on the beach.

I covered the cover in a whole covered tin of body filler on Sunday to get the final covering layer in place.

This morning I wanted to test and sharpen my sanding skills, so I sanded some lamp parts I have previously coated with body filler. I need to touch up with filler here and there and in between.

Then it was onto the big mamma.

Some more sanding ...

The lines are almost straight and the surfaces flat.

Done for the day. Now I need to get more filler to touch up the small holes and two surfaces and the corners.

That was a whole day's work. I am satisfied that I now understand how the filler should be applied and sanded. From hereon it should be a lot easier and quicker for me.

Have a good one in the stores

Brain says:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

holy smokes that looks like a lot of filler .. which one do you use? I use the Bondo brand and I can't get more than a golf-ball sized blob mixed up at a time .. it sets off so fast ..

Quote Originally Posted by Swissmat View Post
    holy smokes that looks like a lot of filler .. which one do you use? I use the Bondo brand and I can't get more than a golf-ball sized blob mixed up at a time .. it sets off so fast ..
    Good to see you here Mat!

Yes, a whole tin. But ... that is the way the expert wanted it, so I follow his advice.

It is the filler I was donated and can be seen in this post.

Specification sheets etc are here.

Yes, it sets within 4 minutes. Golf ball size with 5 match head blobs of hardener works best. Mixing on a glass plate now which keeps the oils in the filler and does extend the curing time a bit.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/08/18 at 09:47 PM.

Glass plate .. genius .. I've been using a piece of wood with tape on it .. will try the glass plate next .. should be easier to clean too ..

well, my bondo on top of primer and existing filler failed miserably .. bondo didn't bond to previous primer .. started over .. should have a post out on my thread shortly .. down to metal it is ..

Quote Originally Posted by Swissmat View Post
    Glass plate .. genius .. I've been using a piece of wood with tape on it .. will try the glass plate next .. should be easier to clean too ..

well, my bondo on top of primer and existing filler failed miserably .. bondo didn't bond to previous primer .. started over .. should have a post out on my thread shortly .. down to metal it is ..
    Why not sand the existing cellulose filler with 36 grit paper, then degrease it with some drain cleaner. Once dry give it a coat of strontium etching primer followed by quality 2K MS primÍr and then your body filler?

Just be very careful with the drain cleaner as well as the strontium spraying. Wear full PPE with a respirator. Many people have died from inhaling the strontium chrome fumes, melting their lung linings.

I hope you're keeping track of the weight gain from all of that filler?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I hope you're keeping track of the weight gain from all of that filler?
    I think it weighs less than with the original filler and seven layers of paint. It looks like a thick layer but on the larger sections it is only 1-2mm thick.

This sure is a very bad cover to have started with. Patience is the key here!

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    I think it weighs less than with the original filler and seven layers of paint. It looks like a thick layer but on the larger sections it is only 1-2mm thick.

This sure is a very bad cover to have started with. Patience is the key here!
    I would have lost patience a long time ago. Im more the kind of guy that would have said"hold my beer and pass the paint roller."

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast