With the apron stripped, Carl and myself decided to split the work tasks.

He started stripping paint on the stand, bed and headstock and myself ... well, I made coffee ...

After the cups of Brain energy, I started off by getting the brass machine plaques removed from the headstock, gearbox and apron. What a job as the Brutish Butcher simply drilled new holes into the plaques and then into the cast steel. Once he has made his holes, he used pop-rivets to secure the plaques to the machine. The issue I have is that when you drill pop-rivets out, the hard steel ball bit simply spins around in the hole and refuses to be drilled out. I tried punching it to remain in place, but that only worked on one hole. Any ideas?

First step was to get the headstock plaque off. That was quick and I only have the one after picture to show for the work.

Next was the apron's plaques. Notice the pop-rivets and the one on the top plate secured through a new hole? Ai ai.

Pop-rivet heads removed.

And plaques removed. Interesting green poking from behind the plaques. That is about 4 layers of paint down!

The headstock still had the pop-rivet bodies remaining. I was scared to drill these out and wreck the headstock. Alas I had nothing to fear! More later ....

Carl is making progress.

And that was the end of easy going for Carl! The first four layers of paint where it was in contact with oil came of fairly easy. The stand's paint was not exposed to oil and the paint simply refused to budge. Secondly it was extremely difficult to work under the apron. So we decided to remove the headstock and the bed from the stand so that we can rotate the stand as required. Working on a flat horisontal surface is so much easier than trying to work on your haunches ducking under a steel apron.

So off we went on our journey of exploration. Aaaah a secret hole! What treasures await us in here?

Before we removed the headstock we decided to but a wire brush on it to clean it so that we can see what is what and if there are any hidden bolts or fasteners we need to be aware of.

All cleaned to the red primer layer. It took quite a few hours to get here!

We discovered that the headstock had some holes plugged. Was this hole made obsolete by an upgrade in the lathe model design or layout? We also found the four cap screws holding the headstock to the bed.

We back tracked a bit and removed the electrical motor. This was held in place by the most silly bolts I have ever seen. Who would ever want to use such bolts to secure a heavy motor?

The motor removed.

It is a heavy duty induction motor made by GEC Machines in South Africa.

The name plaque cleaned so that we all can read it clearly now!

And it was time for some ... ai, coffee and calling it a day. After all we still need to clean the mess we made on the floor and get ready for the heavy lifting tomorrow!