1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 21

View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

2 15.38%
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

The day started with me checking out the cleaned lathe bed and the coolant chamber. I think we are winning with the coolant chamber.

Carl coated the surfaces of the chamber with some Parco cleaner again. Hopefully all will be good tomorrow morning. While he was on his knees interceding for us, I started masking out the bed. I dunno who designed the lathe bud they sure had small hands with tiny fingers.

I spent about one hour of masking when Carl joined me. Bit by portion by section we repaired the wire wheel damaged masking and replaced a few sections. The inner and under (bottom) machined faces of the bed ways took an awfully long time to mask out. My fingers simply refused to fit into many of the spaces.

Here Carl is inspecting my handwork. A second set of eyes always find mistakes or areas still to do.

And then it was lunch with some Sumatra black liquid.

Back from lunch Carl said I must go on with other stuff as there was not space for both of us working on the bed. Cool!

Last night I browsed the net a bit to try and determine what I have bought. The one thing I received an answer on was a micrometer carriage stop.

Quite a dandy piece of equipment to have it turns out as you can see below. And a hefty price per gram is asked for such a nifty bit of steel.

Armed with this knowledge I decided to find out why this one was chucked out into a bin. Well it turns out the spindle is seized. I chucked the chucked part into some of @Family_Dog 's fav drink to get most of the gunk removed.

After 30 minutes I could start seeing more clearly. The part's surface that is ...

The knob came loose with a bit of effort from an oil filter type woven strap wrench. I then saw that another Brutish Butcher must run around this part of the world as he gripped the knob with a waterpump plier of sorts and sheared the pin connecting the knob to the shaft off. I tried tapping it out but no way Joze. It did not move.

So I drilled the pin on each side out.

Then I drove the shaft from the knob with two big smacks of a dead blow hammer.

And that was that. The spindle is rusted to the housing and the remainder of the pin is rusted to the shaft.

I will soak it in phosphoric acid for a day or ten ...

While Carl was still masking away I decided to see if I can get the knob back into shape. The face was in terrible shape as you could see in the above and below pictures.

Onto the die-ah-mond plates ...

Course plate done and looking a lot better.

At this time Carl called me to come and help masking the last holes. I will continue cleaning tomorrow.

And then we were done masking and cleaning. Tomorrow will show what the coolant chamber looks like and hopefully allow us to proceed with painting.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I recall seeing an Adendorff mini sandblaster in this thread...wouldn't that be the ticket for the coolant tank's tinworm nesting area?
    We did try that and all the sand just blasts back into your face. It is such a confined space that I can barely get my hands with a pencil grinder in there. Carl who is a lot smaller than myself can work in there and he refused to sand blast his glasses and face.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    Wasn't there a rock group called The Headbangers? I'll try and find one of their songs. Sorry Carl . . .
    He just laughed when I told him you want to play a song for him ... thanks for the support and motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Lunae View Post
    I discovered this thread yesterday and could not stop reading - Brilliant!! I love all things old. Cannot wait to read the daily update. You are a Master restorer @mygoggie!!
    Thanks so much @Lupus Lunae. Your comment helps me to keep going!

Wow, heading towards 25k views! Who would have ever imagined this interest!! Thanks for reading, participating and motivating. It really means a lot!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Wow, heading towards 25k views! Who would have ever imagined this interest!! Thanks for reading, participating and motivating. It really means a lot!
    As I said before. I'm addicted to this thread.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Mygoggie talks dirty and fiddles with knobs, what's not to like?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Mygoggie talks dirty and fiddles with knobs, what's not to like?
    As long as I do not use the "hammer" word, I guess I am safe!

That micrometer bed stop is a really usefull device for a machine that doesn't have a DRO.

My Colchester Bantam doesn't have a scale on the bed's drive wheel, so I could really use something like that.

I have compromised by mounting a dial gauge on the slide currently, but this could be even better in some circumstances.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Finally!

After spending the morning masking some more areas on the lathe bed and cleaning the coolant chamber, we could think of spray painting the strontium etching primer.

While I was masking some missed areas on the bed, Carl cleaned the garage to allow us to spray paint.

After a good lunch and Colombian cocaine ... oops, I mean caffeine, we had the wisdom to tackle the paint job.

I first sprayed some small parts.

This included a funny plate thingy ... can you guess what it is ?

Then it was onto spraying the motor chamber sides I could not reach when the stand was upside down. Yes, I missed a few spots. Ai jai jai.

Then it was onto the coolant chamber. What a nightmare. The spraygun simply cannot fit inside the chamber and I had to do all kind of tricks to get the paint onto the surfaces.

Yes, the gun touched the side without me noticing ... I will HAVE to find my smaller gun tomorrow. It is somewhere. Yes, I know. It will be waiting in the last place I look.

With my blood pressure raised a tiny bit I tackled the hanging buck.

It came out quite well with one dark hole I could not cover completely. I think it has never seen paint in any case, so I will leave it as it is. The naked look. Or is that the nude look?

I had to go into town this afternoon to fetch all the paint and goodies. I also wanted to drop off some parts with my friend Brian to make new or replacement lathe parts for me.

Firstly, I require a new adjustment bolt set for the traveling steady I bought.

I am sure Brian can do his magic and produce one of these with a snap of his fingers!

I also collected the last bits of equipment I require to start putting videos together on the editor.

I was pleasantly surprised about the paint and other stuff. Extremely good quality to say the least. I will post something tomorrow about this.

A late dinner it was for me. Once energised I checked on the micrometer stop. It looked a lot cleaner and almost brand new!

I clamped the threaded end of the spindle in the woodwork vice and inserted a round bar into one of the holes. I gave the bar a very smart smack and low and behold it turned! I manage to turn the body one full turn back and forth!!! Extremely good news. Therefore she needs to bath some more. I just checked and bubbles are rising from the gap between the spindle and the body. This means the phosphoric acid is able to penetrate and remove the rust.

Last night I also tackled the thread dial indicator. The body went into its own bath and I chucked the dial in my drill press and tried the file on the surface. No luck ... the dial's steel is too hard. I reverted to the die-ah-mond plates to get most of the damaged surface removed. Then it was sand paper and onto the buffing wheel.

It will never be 100% but it is OLD and some patina is required to show its experience as an indicator. I will finish the polishing sometime tomorrow.

The body is still bathing. Some areas in the holes are clinging to rusty dreams and forgotten wild and rough surfaces.

The last bit of good news today was that I received a message saying that three of the gears have been brazed up. I think welding of the silver steel gear is taking some time ...

I can relax and enjoy some Colombian coffiane ...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    That micrometer bed stop is a really usefull device for a machine that doesn't have a DRO.

My Colchester Bantam doesn't have a scale on the bed's drive wheel, so I could really use something like that.

I have compromised by mounting a dial gauge on the slide currently, but this could be even better in some circumstances.
    Thanks for the info Peter. I am asking my friend Brian to make a new bottom clamp. Would you be interested in having a body made for yourself as well? Basically you should be able to fit an older micrometer into the body. This is basically how this setup works.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

This morning came and went ... I got stuck with doing desk work for which I am ever thankful as it will bring in some money.

Late morning I wandered off to the garage to have a look see at the micrometer stop. It turned one turn both ways with a lot less resistance, so I gave it a pat on the back and sent it off to have another bath. Last time I checked a steady stream of small bubbles were rising from the spindle gap. Good!

I was a bit bored with not much to do ... so I tackled the thread dial indicator body. I filed the topside smooth and then most of the sides.

The dial still needs to be finished, but a test drive shows it looks a lot better!

I actually wanted to get all the outstanding strontium oxide painting work done today. For this reason I wanted all the new parts and the saddle which I forgot to paint yesterday stripped of gunk and old paint and prepared for painting. Here is the dial indicator all masked and bundled up, ready for painting.

The moving steady is quite rusted so after Carl cleaned it, we decided to give it a bath. I did not have a container of the correct size, so we used a cardboard box and a black bag to make a phosphoric acid bath.

Then we started hunting for the small spray gun as I really need it. I saw that I did not get good coverage on the underside of the side plates in the coolant chamber. The gun I used is simply too big to fit under these plates.

As we were hunting we started deep cleaning the garage. To clean is also required! This took the rest of the day and by late afternoon, no gun. It must be packed away somewhere safe and secure ..

I will buy another one tomorrow as I do really need a small spray gun to fit into that space.

On another topic, my friend advised me that the quality MS Primer I bought is actually cheap rubbish. He said it will shrink over time ... this morning I checked a cup I mixed the primer in. You see what I see?

Yeah, a white ring. That is the cup showing through the shrinkage area. That is a LOT of shrinkage. I will discuss this with him and see what he says.

And that is that for today. I have a clean garage, parts taking a bath and a whole lot of painting goodies which I will show in another post.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

The painting goodies ... Yes, what a blessing.

Here are the paints and pastas.

FltR: 2K thinners, body filler, 2K hardener, grey paint, green paint and red paint.

If you know paints you will recognise the quality and related costs. This is a LOT of money standing there. A LOT for me that is. They showed me some phantom paint. Guess what 1 liter costs??

Then there is the sanding goodies.

If you know your sanding goodies, you will know this is quality stuff.

I am really thankful for this donation. It means a lot to me and the supportive gesture has motivated Carl and myself tremendously. Thanks BASF!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

Talking about quality stuff that there orange paint is quality! (And the white). Because I can recall them going onto that there finger about a month ago . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

24. The Following User Says Thank You to EtienneB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    Talking about quality stuff that there orange paint is quality! (And the white). Because I can recall them going onto that there finger about a month ago . .
    Yes, the orange is very good quality. I bought it a few years ago to paint the boom end and mast top on my sailboat.

Today was a desk jockey day. I spent the morning trying to get my desk into order and gave up and just kept working.

The afternoon I went to town to fetch the parts Brian manufactured for me. Manufactured always sounds so much IMPORTANT than made to me.

The ON/OFF lever's shaft and a replacement cover bolty stud thingy. The new one is on the left. Thanks Brian!

While I was in his model steam engine workshop he asked if I can help him fix his Student's apron wormbox. The halfnut did not engage properly. A good clean of the handle, spring and spindle solved the problem. Of course the steel ball fell out when the lever came loose with a sudden release. Me? I was pulling the handle and fell over backward. All in the line of duty! Anyway a new ball later and a new lower stop stud and it is working like Swiss clockwork.

I also dropped off the woodwork lathe's new chuck spindle and asked him to make me an adapter to get the lathe's spindle to screw onto the new chuck.

He will also make a new bolt set for the traveling steady. The steady is missing one of the critters ...

Next time I will shoot a video of what he is doing. Quite interesting!

This morning I removed the oiler of the micrometer stop and now she is cooking! I could turn the spindle about two turns back and forth, the last bit by hand. Getting there!

The next step will be to ask Brian to machine a bottom section. Peter has drawn up some CAD drawings to allow Brian to make more of these. So if you want one for your Colchester, let me know and I can ask Brian if he can make a batch.

Tomorrow, I need to strip the Pajero's front driving train. Something is really wrong now, so at least I can find the cause a lot easier.

Have a fun weekend and have a good night ZZ's

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

There' some dimensions missing on that drawing
    GaryG

4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    There' some dimensions missing on that drawing
    Yes, it is a draft draughtwork.

I am a bit quiet here as I am experimenting on how to play some music from my Pajero's brake disc ...

Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/08/02 at 03:39 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

A work and search day.

While the Pajero's was two wheels in the light, I decided to strip the power steering gear box out and see why it is not working to the right hand side.

You see the broken seal? And it is brand new ... so either it is rubbish quality or I did make a mistake while assembling it or some debris in the system broke it.

If you know where I can get such seals in our country, please let me know.

Here are the dimensions in pencil.

I had some time to start with the body filler. I have never done this before and had no idea as to what to do. I browsed some Tube videos and mixed according to what the guys show. Alas, I had about 1 minute of pot life and then the filler set. So I have worked my way down to almost no hardener to the filler and that gives me about 5 minutes of pot life which I think is what to expect.

My first try!

Getting a little bit better ...

The cover has a LOT of filling to do. I therefore did a foundation layer of filler which I will sand down and then work from there again.

I have also made some progress with the micrometer stop. It turned out quite a few turns. You can see the distance on the shaft in light grey.

The internal thread looks quite clean after the acid treatment.

I have now filled the hole with some penetrating oil to get some lubrication into the thread. Let's see what tomorrow bring.

P.S. I found a power steering specialist in PE who said I must come in and they will match seals. Carl offer to give me a ride as the only other transport I have is a taxi or Uber ...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast