1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 9

View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

2 15.38%
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

If this thread was written in secret unbreakable code my understanding of the content would have been exactly the same.

My dad was a qualified fitter and turner on the copper mine in Nababeep - I am sure he would have enjoyed it.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I have fixed the the little things that can become problematic. It just need some finishing touches. Also have a small 1m little lathe
    that I use most of the times.
    What make and model is the small little lathe? "A Small Little Lathe" I guess?

A pic or two of your lathes would be nice.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/30 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    If this thread was written in secret unbreakable code my understanding of the content would have been exactly the same.

My dad was a qualified fitter and turner on the copper mine in Nababeep - I am sure he would have enjoyed it.
    All you need to know is how to time travel @Rainier, then you will understand!

I cleaned up the ways by rubbing with some phosphoric acid solution.

The serial number and the QC inspector's stamp.

It actually was made by Colchester! I was starting to have my doubts ...

Grinding and hand scraping marks still to be found!

The banged up end of the bed.

I received my engineering square back and bought a massive amount of tooling which included an 1/1000" engineer's level. So now I can sit down and measure the bed's wear.

Good news!

I received the VFD from @Tiaan Pot.

Thanks ever so much! Will give it a good clean and sit down and design the required VFD circuit and the lathes circuit into a workable single one.

Name:  IMG-20200529-WA0009.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  112.7 KB

You are now opening up a huge can of worms. I dont know where you are relative to the time warp in real terms you are .
    How do you propose plotting out its wear.?Wish I had a level but its not really that important.Sounds like you are going to need to buy a book called machine tool reconditioning by j f connelly.I cant afford it.

From what Ive read (google engineer)all a level will do is get your lathe level. But your lathe could be bolted upside down or even vertically on a wall and it stills works. Its a starting point .Its the twist you want to eliminate. This can be done with a piece of bar ,a very inaccurate 3 jaw chuck and a micrometer.

Were the colchesters flaked after planing/grinding.?I would be curious to know if you leveled your bed and removed the top part of your tailstock and just used the bottom part of your tailstock base and threw a magnetic holder on with a dial guage to try plot the wear by sliding the base up and down. I wonder if it would give you an indication of the wear.?
    But it is what it is. Unless you want to spend money grinding it. I would blue up the saddle and see what the bearing surfaces look like. Then I would try see what kind of wear the leadscrew and nut have on the crosslide . Same for compound and quill.

Smooth travel on the crosslide is important. Many lathes have a solid block used to replace the compound as its not important unless you want to cut tapers. It adds to rigidity.I would blue up the crosslide and see what it looks like.

A worn lathe can still do accurate work.But it depends on the operator.If the crosslide and compound are worn you may need to learn how to scrape.

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Good news!

Thanks ever so much! Will give it a good clean and sit down and design the required VFD circuit and the lathes circuit into a workable single one.

Nice . Dont do what I did and put a switch between the motor and the vfd. Yes Im electrically challenged

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Nice . Dont do what I did and put a switch between the motor and the vfd. Yes Im electrically challenged
    That must have been a memorable experience :-)

Sounds like you are going to need to buy a book called machine tool reconditioning by j f connelly.I cant afford it..
    Just download a copy of which the copyright has expired.

Good news!

Ive been reading this thread in awe.

If you are getting into changing the electronics, this is a really good project ive been following.
    Lathe has a VFD and converting to an electronic leadscrew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTs9GygRQ-U

Quote Originally Posted by Gielie01 View Post
    Ive been reading this thread in awe.

If you are getting into changing the electronics, this is a really good project ive been following.
    Lathe has a VFD and converting to an electronic leadscrew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTs9GygRQ-U
    Thanks @Gielie01 I have been looking at something like this! Will watch the video with binoculars and magnifying glasses ... I do not want to miss anything!

Thanks @Gielie01 I have been looking at something like this! Will watch the video with binoculars and magnifying glasses ... I do not want to miss anything!
    Happy to point you to that, hope you had lots of time to watch it all!

I have spent a bit of time in discussions with knowledgeable persons around the world regarding a missing part in the lathe's apron.

It seems that the apron is missing a lockout arm that will prevent the operator engaging the leadscrew and the feedshaft at the same time.

This lockout mechanism is internal to the apron with part # 7704 or item# 3 in the Triumph apron image below. I have no idea if it actually is suppose to have one as the bolt #7505 in the image below does not look like the machine screw in mine.

@Richard Kirkman took some much appreciated time to take photos of his lathe's apron as it looks to be identical to mine.

And my lathe's apron.

Looks like the mark on the apron's wall proves that something was there before.

I think the next step is to make such a lockout arm. I scrounged around a bit and found a sketch on the Colchester groups.io photo albums and also a short video of which I took a screenshot to show what this missing part looks like.

The last two images shows a slightly different lockout arm design and also a bolt that fits through two supports, something that my lathe's apron does not have. I will have to use my own design for a bolt to get the lockout arm stable and secure. I have asked @Richard to double check which arm matches the one in his lathe's apron. Then I will have a better idea as to what should be what.

So, that is one more item to make. I will convert the sketch to metric dimensions and redraw it in CAD so that I can proceed with manufacturing of it.

I will add this to my wishlist for now. Maybe someone is bored and would be interested to sponsor the material and make such an arm for me? I will of course pay the transport fee and give a big "Thank you"!

It is good you have help with this. Its always amazing how the world can be such a small place. Looks like all you need for that is a hacksaw ,file and drill press.It would probably be best to get a piece of guage plate, unless wear to it is minimal.

I must say I am a little bit tired tonight. No, not from standing in the vino queue! Simply standing on my feet the whole day working on the lathe.

Let's do some time travel and go to this thread's time date stamp in our space-time continuum.

Next step was to travel to a friend of mine. In a car ... pleaze what did you think??

Why, because he has a press to press the spindle bearing from the spindle.

Setting up was easy as we could use the existing bearing collar on the spindle to press against on the lower bars of the press. The other end of the spindle we capped with an old Cobra floor polish tin filled with lead and this went against the hydraulic cylinder's ram.

Pressure did not even reach 10 bar when the bearing moved with a mighty clap sound and the whole setup collapsed sideways. Fortunately due to quick feet and hands, no damage to ourselves or the spindle or bearing.

And there the external bearing collar is. This fits between the bearing and the external flange that was screwed to the inner flange by the caps screws I could not reach and had the battle with.

It is clear that the bearing can never be hammered from the spindle as the one manual states. The bearing's inner race is tapered on the inner diameter to fit to the very shallow taper on the spindle.

Such a shallow taper ensures a very very tight fit and no hammering will release the bearing. Of concern to me was the blue stuff on the spindle.

I did not know what it was and posted the same pictures as above on another forum. Lo' and behold one of the gentlemen there said the blue stuff is Loctite bearing fit. That baffled me as the Loctite bearing fit I know is yellow green in colour and not blue. I replied with this concern and he answered as follows: "The bearing fit I used in the 70's was blue, the latest one is greeny yellow." Well, I never ... in the 70's it was blue. What a wealth of knowledge is floating around in cyberspace!

Add the bearing fit to the taper fit of the spindle and bearing and you have a very very secure seat of the bearing on the spindle. No wonder the designers changed the collar removal process to an external one. They must have received a lot of complaints from their service agents trying to undo the cap screws like I did!

OK, I simply cannot resist the temptation to show @Family_Dog a carrot again. Or will only a working flux capacitor for his DeLorean make him look up from his workbench?

Before.

After.

Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/06/01 at 10:15 PM.

It is good you have help with this. Its always amazing how the world can be such a small place. Looks like all you need for that is a hacksaw ,file and drill press.It would probably be best to get a piece of guage plate, unless wear to it is minimal.
    Yes, it is a real blessing to have everyone share their wealth of info.

@Richard Kirkman came back to me with more photos and confirmed that the dimensions in the sketch matches his apron's roses ... cough cough, I mean his lathe's ...

Just for future reference you can now see more detail about the fixing bolt and the way the lockout arm fits into the cutout of the shaft of the round thing with the bit of void in the circlish dish.

Scary eyes!!

Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/06/01 at 11:58 PM.

Your attention to detail is S T A G G E R I N G ! As it should be with this specific project. Hats off my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    Your attention to detail is S T A G G E R I N G ! As it should be with this specific project. Hats off my friend!
    Thanks @EtienneB. A lathe in my opinion is like a clock. It needs to be clean and within tolerances to work as designed. Otherwise it will turn but be of no use.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/06/02 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks @EtienneB. A lathe in my opinion is like a clock. It needs to clean and within tolerances to work as designed. Otherwise it will turn but be of no use.
    Sort of familiar with detail . . . My late father's hobby was repairing watches in the 60's and 70's. Alarm clocks, wall clocks, wrist watches. Obviously no electronics. One day a lady handed him a ring with a watch where the diamond normally goes. He had to heat and flatten needle points to serve as screw drivers . . . He repaired it successfully.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast