1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 7

View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

2 15.38%
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

I want to touch up the insides of the headstock and the gearbox with the correct oil resistant paint.

The correct original is Glyptal which is very expensive for a tin and I will not use much of it. So if someone had some Glyptal left over in a tin it wouldbe great if you can donate towards the project!

Alternatively if you know of an equivalent polyurethane epoxy that can be mixed and painted/sprayed on kindly let me know.

Are you not worried that the cast iron has absorbed the oil and it would be possible that the paint wont adhere and possibly peel and being a splash system (is it ?)that the bearings could be contaminated.?

Its british made so like any good landrover its supposed to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Are you not worried that the cast iron has absorbed the oil and it would be possible that the paint wont adhere and possibly peel and being a splash system (is it ?)that the bearings could be contaminated.?

Its british made so like any good landrover its supposed to leak.
    Yes, that is a concern, but I am going to bath the parts in some heated drain cleaner before repainting the external and internal surfaces. This should remove most of the oil in the cast iron.

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Yes, that is a concern, but I am going to bath the parts in some heated drain cleaner before repainting the external and internal surfaces. This should remove most of the oil in the cast iron.
    Now where else other than this forum, will you get the recipe above?

The mind boggles. Enige goeie resep vir Boerseep?

Fantastic thread, could be used in a motivational speech on determination .

Speaking of recipes, are there any Annette Human or tannie Ina de Villiers books with tips like the above all nicely collated?
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post

The mind boggles. Enige goeie resep vir Boerseep?

Fantastic thread, could be used in a motivational speech on determination .

Speaking of recipes, are there any Annette Human or tannie Ina de Villiers books with tips like the above all nicely collated?
    Thanks JJJ!

Yes, I have an excellent recipe for making Boereseep from olive oil (or normal fat if you want the traditional hard bricks). I make my own olive oil based soap which is not an easy thing to do. It is excellent for washing hair and is gentle on the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Caustic drain cleaner in hot water. Very dangerous stuff. Extreme caution required. Avoid immersing aluminum, tin, and zinc, as well as their alloys.
    Firstly, it will destroy these metals, and secondly could cause a hydrogen gas explosion.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Caustic drain cleaner in hot water. Very dangerous stuff. Extreme caution required. Avoid immersing aluminum, tin, and zinc, as well as their alloys.
    Firstly, it will destroy these metals, and secondly could cause a hydrogen gas explosion.
    Yep, very dangerous stuff @Jelo. Interesting is that this is how the air battery I designed and am developing is working.

I sometimes forget what is common sense to me due to training and knowledge is unknown territories full of danger to others. Thanks for the comment on this!

So yeah, WARNING

A controlled environment and all PPE is a must when doing this process.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/27 at 10:07 AM.

Lacquer thinners removes grease oil and dirt like magic, but it also removes any paint. Great for cleaning down to bare metal.
    Jeep Cherokee 2006 KJ CRD
    2" OME Lift

I found some serious cleaning liquid from Builders Warehouse some time ago. It's sold at the paint section. It's called paving cleaner. That stuff removes oil out of paving bricks. It also removed cooking oil from bricks. It's yellowish in colour. Like pee.
    Theres also a pink version thats less potent.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Quote Originally Posted by John Lindsay View Post
    Lacquer thinners removes grease oil and dirt like magic, but it also removes any paint. Great for cleaning down to bare metal.
    Acetone is even better and cheaper however these do not do deep cleaning.

I hate that word. Deep cleaning ... what a political term. You can either clean or clean. It just sounds so much more important. We are going to deep clean the school. Are you going to drill holes in the walls and inject some chemical in there, lift the floorboards and smoke the baddies out, climb in the ceiling spaces and vacuum it completely?

While ranting, it brings me to the fact of wearing a mask more than 1h at a time. What a dangerous practice. You drastically increase the CO2 levels in your blood, you create an ideal breeding ground for bacteria in your mask (hot humid environment) and then you ask why do I feel so bad and sick? Oh, Antie Corona has hit me. No, you are making yourself sick by wearing the same mask for more than an hour. Like the fact or not. This is biochemistry 101.

Anyway, before I drastically increase the cortisol levels in my blood, let me go and clean some more parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I found some serious cleaning liquid from Builders Warehouse some time ago. It's sold at the paint section. It's called paving cleaner. That stuff removes oil out of paving bricks. It also removed cooking oil from bricks. It's yellowish in colour. Like pee.
    Theres also a pink version thats less potent.
    If yellow it will be hydrochloric acid based. This is normal "soutsuur" or muriatic acid and typically for a cleaner like this the mix will include some surfactants.

Such will not work with cast steel as it will make it oxidize (rust) in the small metal cavities as found in cast steel.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

I just wouldnt bother. Its just not important. The amount of oil would be minimal. I think you would open up a can of worms. Lathes leak.When they stop leaking then you need to worry.Does this lathe have a pumped system or is it splash. I would need to go back on your fantastic enjoyable thread.

Are there oil sight glasses.?All lathes leak, mostly from bushes and seals . Hell think of the old style lathes with the oil pots on them running in bronze bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I just wouldnt bother. Its just not important. The amount of oil would be minimal. I think you would open up a can of worms. Lathes leak.When they stop leaking then you need to worry.Does this lathe have a pumped system or is it splash. I would need to go back on your fantastic enjoyable thread.

Are there oil sight glasses.?All lathes leak, mostly from bushes and seals . Hell think of the old style lathes with the oil pots on them running in bronze bearings.
    Yes, oil splash system.

Yes, oil sight glasses which I am trying to clean.

This one only has bronze bushes all round except for the spindle.

I was watching SpaceX trying to launch the American astronauts. Poor weather won the day. Let's hold thumbs for Saturday!

So just a short update tonight. We left off with the lathe looking a bit barren.

Onto dismantling the pieces that can still be disassembled. The easiest one being the wormbox.

A first look, showed a major problem. Oval holes!

The body of the wormbox is made from cast steel or cast iron. I am leaning towards cast iron as it needs to be softer than the feedshaft and the leadscrew. This will ensure that the wormbox will wear first and protect the leadscrew and feedshaft. A fact proven by the oval holes.

I will have to have the oval holes bored larger, plugs installed and new holes milled and reamed to final size.

The first step is to punch the pin from the wormgear.

This allows the shaft to be punched from the gear using my old faithful aluminium rod.

What a lot of gunk is present. The oil holes were also blocked ... ai ai.

Next step is to punch the shaft from the handle.

Pull the handle from the wormbox chassis. I was scared there is a massive spring behind the cam visible to the north of the handle, so I took it slowly.

Almost there!

And there we are. With the handle removed, I could pull the cam from its cylinder. Yes, I was right! There is a fat big spring in there, just waiting to be sprung loose and fly through space.

Remember the way the handle's shaft goes into the wormbox body. The end with the indent goes first.

That is the wormbox disassembled. While I was busy with the wormbox, Carl was still cleaning grease from the headstock. This time he was doing all the nooks and crannies using an old toothbrush and paraffin. Starting to look good!

Next in line is the apron. I will tackle that in the morrow. Oh heck, sorry guys!

Quote from: Family_Dog on May 26, 2020, 08:19:01 AM

I cannot wait until the re-assembly threads start being posted

-F_D
    Just a teaser @Family_Dog ... quick grab my hand and let's jump forward in this thread's time to real time in today's time.

A few before and afters ...

The tumbler shifting arm cap.

The tumbler handle.

The screw cutting indicator dial. I forgot to take a before photo, but it was messed up.

The face smoothed as far as possible with three grits of diamond plates and ending with 1200 grit wet sanding paper.

All lettering done.

The cross-slide screw keep.

Happy @Family_Dog ?? OK, off you go, back to the thread's time datum. Say hi to Spock when you see him!
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/27 at 11:21 PM.

Nice thread thanks.

I need to restore my old Willson 10ft sometime. Still in good working condition but a few areas need attention.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Dankie baie @PaulWW en @Dewald Posthumus!

@PaulWW is will be good if you can travel back in time and grab some memories on the quirks of these lathes and jot them down here. Always good info for others.

Yes, @Dewald, beer is the betterderste! :dop:
    I will dig as deep as i can, juts not too sure hoe successful digging 30 plus years back is going o be - LOL!!

I have been off the tools for a very long time and must say the older I get the more I reminisce of those times. In fact a mate of mine, who I met when we were both appy's has a rather fully (read over) kitted workshop in his garage and every time we visit we spend some time in there and I cannot get enough of THAT nostalgic smell!!.

Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Nice thread thanks.

I need to restore my old Willson 10ft sometime. Still in good working condition but a few areas need attention.
    Thanks @grips. Better to fix the issues when they are babies and cannot breed babies!

wow this lathe does not look to bad for a near 70 year old machine! it must have a few stories to tell and deserves a good overhaul.
    you have to love a machine that is serviceable to this extent! today's chinesium machines are throw away units
    V51JP
    Namboyz Rule

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW View Post
    I will dig as deep as i can, juts not too sure hoe successful digging 30 plus years back is going o be - LOL!!

and I cannot get enough of THAT nostalgic smell!!.
    Don't we all think back a lot these days? I think the last three months have actually made many stop the mad rush to nowhere and offered time to get balance back in their lives.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast