1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 2





View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

    11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

    2 15.38%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 438
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Wow, amazing. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us.

    Iím still trying to get my hands on a Myford or Boxford at a reasonable price but not having much luck at the moment.
    I am going to see a chap this morning that is selling both his Myford and Boxford lathes. I will see what I can negotiate for you. PM with what you can afford to pay.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Beautiful to see! The fact that you can take it to pieces and then put it all back together again is what is really a skill that is scarce nowadays.

    It's really sad that nobody fixes anything nowadays. Throw it away and buy a new one!

    Can't wait to see the video of it working again.
    Yes, I hate the fact that everything is throwaway these days. This is just a giant Mecanno set and I should be able to fix it to a usable standard.

    Interesting reading is the way Sweden has now forbidden throwing away of equipment. All must go to service centres where old toppies with skills teach the owner how to repair it. If FUBAR then the old toppie teached them how to strip it for usable parts etc and then how to recycle it.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/20 at 09:37 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:


  4. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Awesome Mygoggie, brilliant project, please keep posting!!

    Cannot understand the grease phenomenon..!!
    I think someone thought the gears are noisy and then packed it with grease. The gears were noisy because there are so many broken teeth. But what makes me wonder about his skills is the fact that no seals were installed again.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Carrigaline
    Age
    53
    Posts
    136
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Re the grease, I believe that some modern gearboxes are filled with something like grease from new, those sealed for life gearboxes I think that are found in some German cars. Perhaps the butcher heard about this or could the grease have been used if there was too much of an oil leak going on.
    Last edited by B Murr; 2020/05/20 at 09:50 AM.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Very enjoyable project to read, maybe not so much to be doing. You show alot of patience, I would have broken some cast iron by now.
    Do you have to replace the bearings,?Grease amazing. Are those not gammet bearings, They cost about 30k in some lathes.

    As for the gears ,I soppose they can be rebuilt or remanufactured. The thread gear could be bronze welded and remachined, . The spindle bearing I think are hardened and ground. That will be much more expensive to make.
    That looks like a very robust lathe in a small footprint.I suspect thats a 50mm spindle.If so very nice. I notice most colchester lathes have their gaps missing. Look on gumtree and everyone is missing the gap.

    I forgot if you told us what you do.? And whats this reference to New Zealand?

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    398
    Thanked: 388

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    I'm with B Murr on this one. I think the Butcher tried to alleviate the oil leaks by using grease instead.
    Awesome job there. Great respect.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Maybe he thought a banana in a diff works so grease works even better.A colchester is like a landrover. They leak.If they dont leak its the first sign something is wrong.

    Both you and Marchochessi are good story tellers. keep it coming .
    Last edited by plunger; 2020/05/20 at 06:03 PM. Reason: auto spelling

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:


  11. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Very enjoyable project to read, maybe not so much to be doing. You show alot of patience, I would have broken some cast iron by now.
    Do you have to replace the bearings,?Grease amazing. Are those not gammet bearings, They cost about 30k in some lathes.

    As for the gears ,I soppose they can be rebuilt or remanufactured. The thread gear could be bronze welded and remachined, . The spindle bearing I think are hardened and ground. That will be much more expensive to make.
    That looks like a very robust lathe in a small footprint.I suspect thats a 50mm spindle.If so very nice. I notice most colchester lathes have their gaps missing. Look on gumtree and everyone is missing the gap.

    I forgot if you told us what you do.? And whats this reference to New Zealand?
    This lathe has no Gammet bearings, a fact which nobody in the Colchester circles have heard about. It has Hamilton and SKF super precision bearings, all original. I am not going to replace the bearings as the amount will be close to R25k for the three bearings and they are designed to last forever. OK in oil ...

    Yes, the cast steel gears I will have to remake. Maybe someone here has a divider head and a shaper that can cut some gears for me? Some of the mild steel gears I should be able to add pins and braze over these and shape new teeth.

    I am a Civil Engineer and this is just my hobby. My big passion is woodwork using only hand tools and I am actually quite good at this. Yeah, NZ ... I was offered a very good position in NZ and thought why not? Closed the business, sold most of the stuff and gave a lot away and fortunately did not sell the house. So bags packed and at the door and the first set of flights got cancelled. Found new flights, booked and three days later these were cancelled as well ... so then NZ went into lockdown and I had to move back into the home. No job this side nor that side ... so now I am thinking of getting into my love for woodwork and going into building high end record players for those that have money. For that reason I need a sturdy lathe ...
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/20 at 03:58 PM.

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    I see you have a machine vice. ? Do you have a milling machine.?

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Just a thought . Not being naturally mechanically minded I might say something dumb but not having the lathe in front of me its easy to not see if this is possible or not. The gear that is gone in the headstock. Could it be left out completely.Does it just do speeds or is it integral to turning the spindle. ?
    Why I ask is because maybe you could just change the pully system to the motor, maybe a serpentine belt system. Then if you bought a vfd,three phase in three phase out.

    Then you intall a break resistor to the vfd. That does away with a mechanical breaking system.The vfd would do away with that ugly complicated switching system.
    Now it would be able to work through a range of speeds through the vfd rather than through a series of gears. Most lathework is from around 300rpm to about 750rpm. At least you would have use of your lathe untill you can get a replacement gear cut.It would still be a better system regardless with the vfd .
    It sounds like electronics would be your strong point with record players being your thing.
    If you just bought a no voltage contactor switch and a couple of microswitches youy should have forward,reverse, braking and infinite speed control at your fingertips. Its just a matter of installing a pot on the vfd.

    You may even be able to utilize the existing pulley system as is.It all depends what purpose that broken headstock gear is doing

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I see you have a machine vice. ? Do you have a milling machine.?
    The machine vice I restored. It was wacked and rusted, bought it for R250. It is my first step in faith to a solid milling machine I need. So no, I do not have one, but would love one.

  15. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Just a thought . Not being naturally mechanically minded I might say something dumb but not having the lathe in front of me its easy to not see if this is possible or not. The gear that is gone in the headstock. Could it be left out completely.Does it just do speeds or is it integral to turning the spindle. ?
    Why I ask is because maybe you could just change the pully system to the motor, maybe a serpentine belt system. Then if you bought a vfd,three phase in three phase out.

    Then you intall a break resistor to the vfd. That does away with a mechanical breaking system.The vfd would do away with that ugly complicated switching system.
    Now it would be able to work through a range of speeds through the vfd rather than through a series of gears. Most lathework is from around 300rpm to about 750rpm. At least you would have use of your lathe untill you can get a replacement gear cut.It would still be a better system regardless with the vfd .
    It sounds like electronics would be your strong point with record players being your thing.
    If you just bought a no voltage contactor switch and a couple of microswitches youy should have forward,reverse, braking and infinite speed control at your fingertips. Its just a matter of installing a pot on the vfd.

    You may even be able to utilize the existing pulley system as is.It all depends what purpose that broken headstock gear is doing
    Another wish item is the VFD ... maybe I must open a Patreon account and compile an Amazon or RSOnline wishlist ... nudge nudge, wink wink!

  16. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanked: 1266

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    If anybody is interested here is a lathe for sale on Avcom forum..R15k...

    https://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=229875
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/05/20 at 07:59 PM.

  17. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Another wish item is the VFD ... maybe I must open a Patreon account and compile an Amazon or RSOnline wishlist ... nudge nudge, wink wink!
    Lets forget about the change gear for now(unless you dont have the full set of change gears) would you be able to use a vfd and get around having to fix that headstock gear. I ask this because a vfd is likely to be cheaper than getting that gear made if you cant source it off the shelf or some place like ebay.

  18. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    If anybody is interested here is a lathe for sale on Avcom forum..R15k...

    https://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=229875
    That would be worth it if he throws in his hilti impact drill on the shelf, the drill press in the background and his inverter system which looks neatly wired.

    These combo systems are generally poorly made and cumbersome to work on in my humble opinion.

  19. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    That would be worth it if he throws in his hilti impact drill on the shelf, the drill press in the background and his inverter system which looks neatly wired.

    These combo systems are generally poorly made and cumbersome to work on in my humble opinion.
    That combo IMHO is poor quality ... The reason for selling is most probably that he could not get the tolerances required.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/20 at 08:30 PM.

  20. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Lets forget about the change gear for now(unless you dont have the full set of change gears) would you be able to use a vfd and get around having to fix that headstock gear. I ask this because a vfd is likely to be cheaper than getting that gear made if you cant source it off the shelf or some place like ebay.
    Yep, the change gear is basically just for thread cutting, so no need for that now. So, yes, I will be able to use a VFD now if the good fairy makes one appear on my doorstep.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/05/20 at 08:32 PM.

  21. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Yep, the change gear is basically just for thread cutting, so no need for that now. So, yes, I will be able to use a VFD now if the good fairy makes one appear on my doorstep.
    Im not referring to the 109 tooth spur change gear. Those are cheap and easy to make. You could probably machine that in delrin plastic even. I have never made a spur gear but if you have the correct gear cutter it should be easy to make.
    I am referring to the hardened and ground headstock gear.The one missing two teeth. Thats gonna be expensive.
    I say this because when my gearbox packed up in my simple bandsaw (its a worm and wheel gear they quoted me R2400 to make one out of bronze.It was more than the entire saw new. This was about ten years ago.

  22. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I am referring to the hardened and ground headstock gear.The one missing two teeth. Thats gonna be expensive.
    Interesting is that all the gears are mild steel ... and that specific gear is already a replacement made gear. You can see on the machining standard which is not all that good.

  23. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanked: 1119

    Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Interesting is that all the gears are mild steel ... and that specific gear is already a replacement made gear. You can see on the machining standard which is not all that good.
    The change gears are generally cast iron and the headstock gears normally are case hardened or induction hardened because they have to mesh during changes and not only just go round in circles. I would be suprized if they are not hardened but a file test will tell you.
    As you know www.lathes .uk is the go to source for all quality lathes to get info..We have recently had gears made for a southbend rebuild. They came in at about R400 per gear.These are gears made on a shaper

    I wasnt prepared to pay over R2000 for my gear so I made it myself. But I made a cutter and hobbed it using the homemade cutter.
    In this pic you can see the gear set up in a dividing head and I have pre gashed it. The homemade hardened hob is the cutter below . It is simply wound into the free spinning bronze precut gear and it self generates a close to perfect worm gear.
    Came out real nice and in use for ten years now.Name:  worm gear.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  54.7 KB

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •