1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 20

View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

2 15.38%
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The center spline teeth on this guy also don't look very kosher:

Surely they shouldn't look that grotty?
    Karl hasnt got to it yet. Give him a chance..Its gonna shine when hes done.The problem with gear cutting is getting the gear cutters.

Theres alot of forgiveness in gears. I would be very suprized if that gear cant be used because of the splines. That vintage video. He uses a horizontal mill thats built like a russian tank. Could you not just braze it up and take it to a gear guy and get it hobbed on a gear cutter machine.
    I have to ask. Bling aside. You have never adressed what the wear is like on this machine.? Is it in good nick regarding all the other little things wrong,.? Whats the ways like, the tailstock and quill and the dove tails. Otherwise you may have a good looking lathe but it doesnt really get the job done right. From the looks of the half nut this lathe looks like it was handled by some rough and ready okes but it hasnt really overworked.

The half nuts look pretty good which is normally something that wears alot .Unless they just didnt know how to single point turn.
    Last edited by plunger; 2020/07/21 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The center spline teeth on this guy also don't look very kosher:

Surely they shouldn't look that grotty?
    Yep, that is why I am going to replace the gears once the lathe is up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    That vintage video. He uses a horizontal mill thats built like a russian tank. Could you not just braze it up and take it to a gear guy and get it hobbed on a gear cutter machine.
    That is the one item I am still looking for! A horisontal mill with a vertical head as well.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I have to ask. Bling aside. You have never adressed what the wear is like on this machine.? Is it in good nick regarding all the other little things wrong,.? Whats the ways like, the tailstock and quill and the dove tails. Otherwise you may have a good looking lathe but it doesnt really get the job done right. From the looks of the half nut this lathe looks like it was handled by some rough and ready okes but it hasnt really overworked.

The half nuts look pretty good which is normally something that wears alot .Unless they just didnt know how to single point turn.
    I have had a look and the ways looks surprisingly good. I have not gone into too much trouble as these are all fixable with some Turcite.

Yes, the halfnut in the wormbox did surprise me! This lathe must have been in a teaching environment due to the RSA lettering added onto the little coolant door. As you know students do not work a lot on a lathe, but they do try and break things. So breakage would be high, but wear low.

We will see ...

A topsy-turvy day to say the least!

I had to compile a contract document this morning. During this, I got a call to confirm all the paint and related stuff I want for the lathe restoration. I had to get my list together and find the correct RAL colour green for the lathe. BASF apparently do not use Dulux colour codes.

So for you who want to know, here are the colour codes for the Colchester green:

Dulux 30GY 23/232 or RAL 6011 or Pantone U 575 or Hex color #758a62 or CMYK: 15; 0; 29; 46 or sRGB: 117; 138; 98

Just for interest here are colour squares of the first three codes. As you can see almost identical.

While I was busy with that I received a message from a long forgotten advertisement on da Tree. It was for a collet chuck for the Student and it was still for sale. I double checked that it was an L0 taper as this funny lathe's spindle is and sure it was! Here are the chuck and the ten collets.

I am super glad that I could find this!

Then I was offered a chuck back plate .... and I could not say no!

A traveling steady, a full set of gearbox gears, a new cross slide, a new leadscrew with nut was offered after I already paid for the backplate and chuck. It felt like my birthday! Burn the card, baby, burn it! The total for the day was what one gearbox gear costs on the Bay.

Hopefully these will arrive sometime next week by road freight.

Poor Carl was working on his own during all of the above, cleaning the garage and the coolant sump. The sump came out very well after standing coated with the Parco cleaner.

The top view revealed some remaining rust on the most difficult part to reach. Carl said he will fix this tomorrow, no problem!

We also discovered we never cleaned the saddle! So that received a wire brush to get rid of the old paint. The rusty and greasy surfaces we will sort out tomorrow

Somewhere amongst the collectum of minutes comprising the time interval for the above happenings, I also received a message with one of the spots on the apron gear brazed. I must just confirm if this is OK.

With that we met the end of the day. Tomorrow is spray painting day! ooops again
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/07/22 at 10:00 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Alas, no painting was done today.

The coolant tank showed some more rust areas after Carl gave it a clean this morning. So ... he once again sat down to wire brush and sand these areas as clean as possible.

This took ALL day and by the end of the afternoon even he was sighing ... we will have to chemically treat the remaining deep pitted areas as there is no other way to get rid of this rust. I have brushed some more phosphoric acid on these areas and tomorrow will show me what to do.

While Carl was spending his day sleeping on his red Ferrari, I tackled the saddle. I wanted it completely cleaned and masked out for painting by the end of the day. What a job it turned out to be!

The first step was to wash it with paraffin and get rid of all the old oil and gunk. Into the frying pan it went!

Then out came the Dremel tool with a brass cup brush to clean each surface.

With the ways cleaned I tackled the T-slots with a flat wire brush.

Then it was onto climbing the petroleum distillation chain. Out came the mineral turpentine to remove the paraffin.

And some more climbing onto thinners to remove the turps. Looking nice and clean for a change!

Once all the thinners were gone to thinners heaven, I could start masking the apron. This took an awfully long time. Especially all the T-slot ends.

And there we were. At the end of the day ...

The courier and the seller confirmed the parts have departed to this side of our country. Hopefully these will bring some balance to things in our country as it ways quite a few grams.

Apparently the paint is only mixed tomorrow to the colours required. Hopefully I can receive this kind sponsorship on Monday!

With that it is good night and sleep tight, ZZ's

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

My observation: You can plan all you want, you can scheme and you can adjust as you go along, but with projects such as these, if you know the FULL scope of work when you start (especially with the exact time that you will spend), you might never start. I suppose life is the same. You plan and work and play as if you will live forever . . .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EtienneB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    My observation: You can plan all you want, you can scheme and you can adjust as you go along, but with projects such as these, if you know the FULL scope of work when you start (especially with the exact time that you will spend), you might never start. I suppose life is the same. You plan and work and play as if you will live forever . . .
    Very wise words @EtienneB. Thank you for sharing.

An admin day!

Yes, sometimes you need to sit down and do the monthly admin tasks like paying some bills ... and trying to get some money in ... and drinking some Jamaican black honey to give Brain wisdom.

Before I started the desk jockey work, I coated the coolant tank with another coating of Parco cleaner. These things do take time you know?

With the desk work done, I went to double check something that was bugging me the whole night and this morning. My funny lathe's saddle does not look correct. Low and behold this little thought nagging away was correct. The saddle has no wiper plates nor the holes for such!

This is what should be there. Obviously this funny lathe of mine must be a super monster lathe that devours any chips as these enter the gap between the bed and the saddle!

I have now asked on the Colchester group for dimensions so that I can add these as this IMHO is a necessity. I hope someone can assist!

With that out of the way, I gave the tailstock base my attention.

Two grub screws to remove to get the two tailstock setover pins out.

I first pressed the pins a bit after the grub screws were removed and then knocked them out with a big punch.

Then it was wire brushing all the sides and cleaning the ways with a brass cup brush in the Dremel tool. Once again I traveled the petroleum distillation chain and ended with the thinners that disappears to petroleum heaven. Almost like the country's money at the moment.

Looking nice and clean. The camera is a valuable tool as none of the red paint is visible with the naked eye. I found the same phenomena with rust. A surface looks good and clean and the photo reveals loads of rust ... (refer to the above) sigh ...

This base is stamped with the number 333 ... wonder what that is? Maybe an half evil?

Onto masking the tailstock base. Yes, I ran out of quality blue 3M tape. Ai ai.

I first tried to be fancy with the pin holes and paste the tape against the wall of the hole. It did not work, so I decided: "Stuff this!"

Ready for painting.

The two tailstock setover pins all blinged up and ready for the night out. I hope they remember the curfew time!

I found this abused cap hiding away in one cup full of murkey paraffin. Shame it looks horrible and all alone!

I decided it needs to be cheered up and given a make-over!

I gave it's nails some filing.

And took it for a haircut and some cleaning.

What a good cleanup cannot achieve to a lonely cap! Feeling all bright and shiny once again!

And the formal photo for the charity work forum ...

Last on my list was to check on the progress the chemical critters were doing in the coolant tank. Looking very good!

I can spray tomorrow! Weather depending that is. Now I need to go and shower and clean as I need to go and do some gardening at a friend's home. Dop system hopefully will be payment.

With that it is good night and sleep tight, ZZ's

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

You can be relieved that its only half evil. Imagine full evil plus the Brutish Butcher's handy work....
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    You can be relieved that its only half evil. Imagine full evil plus the Brutish Butcher's handy work....
    Lekker lag ek nou!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Time travel time again

Not too far back though .. just a day or two.

I did not do any painting. Not due to the weather, but due to the rust devil's hidden agenda. When I woke up I dashed off to see if the chemical critters did their work. Alas ...

A lot of work was done but this resulted in scale or whatever you want to call it, forming in the rusty areas. I spent most of the morning on my knees scraping all the surfaces with a scraper to remove this scale. It revealed some more rusty areas ...

When I read threads and see comments like: "Paint on a lathe does not matter, it must just work" or "A bit of rust is nothing to worry about" then I get real mad. Rust matters. It destroys everything. End of the fairytale.

Where I stay everything rusts and those things that cannot rust thinks about rusting as well. I mean the little screws in my glasses last about a year ... zippers maybe 18 months. Do not tell me that rust is not something to worry about.

I made sure everything was squeaky clean and then applied rust converter I have on all the corners and rusty sections. This will require about 24 hours to work and I therefore went on to the next cleaning operation. The lathe bed.

Hang on ... my phone just rang. I must please bring a sample of the green paint for the sponsor to mix. They cannot work off any of the codes I gave ... OK, fair enough, I had a tin of mixed paint which I am not going to use anyway. Into town I went and organised the colour matching process. I was given the red paint and very high quality 2K thinners! The rest of the sponsored items I can collect early next week!

That took most of leftover portion of the morning. Once back in my garage, I tackled the lathe bed. Literally.

The block and tackle allowed me to drag it to the middle of my work area. I want to hang it like a buck carcass when I spray paint it. I noticed many areas that were still full of gunk and moving dark things ... I therefore sprayed it all over with degreaser and let it soak.

After about 30 minutes I gave it a thorough wash with warm soapy water.

Onto cleaning all the remaining gunky areas with the Dremel tool and a wire brush.

The lathe ended up on its own side to give me access to the underside of the bed. I spent quite a while cleaning the section where the headstock is mounted. Awkward to clean, to say the least!

Oh, BTW here is the block and tackle which I restored a few years ago. It was not working when I bought it from an estate. It is a old yet quality setup which has done some solid work since I polished it a tad.

Once I managed to dry the bed with a towel and compressed air, I applied Parco cleaner to prevent it rusting.

A quick check on the coolant chamber showed that the rust converter was working.

Good stuff! Let's wait till tomorrow and see what is what ...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Onto the future! To infinity and beyond!

It was a lazy morning for me. I got out of bed late and dragged my body down to the garage. I wanted to check on the rust converter's work.

What do you think?

I will scrape this tomorrow and see what is what.

The Parco cleaner also did its bit on the lathe bed.

I will have to clean these areas a bit better tomorrow.

And it was onto building a solution to the stagnant water problem I had in the sand filter system's outlet weirs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

So what colour do you spray-paint your buck carcases?

1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    So what colour do you spray-paint your buck carcases?

Red ....

I must be lucky then. Mine are already red. No need to paint...
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2020/07/27 at 05:41 AM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

A day where I did a lot of work and can only show a few pictures.

The day started with the lathe's L0 collet chuck and ten collets arriving. Alas, when I looked at the other parts I expected, I did not find what I bought.

No leadscrew which turned out to be a brand new very fine thread cross-slide screw and an old cross-slide screw. There was no set of gearbox gears, but one shaft of headstock gears. There were quite a few extras parts thrown into the box which I did not order.

At least the collet chuck fits the spindle. For that I am ever greatful.

I will see what is what and how I can recover the money I spent on parts I do not need. If you need something let me know. I will try and sort and find out what I exactly have and post a list here.

The rest of the morning was spent by Carl cleaning some more of the coolant tank. Each time we chemically treat the surfaces, we win some ground and have to scrape, wire brush and clean again. Rust is a bad cancer on a lathe ... Yeah, "a little bit if rust is nothing to worry about."

Carl is grimacing now ...

After trying to sort out the lathe part issue I gave up. Cut your minimal losses and recover costs where you can. Onto dangerous stuff!

I made a chain sling and bolted it to the bed's headstock side mounting points. Carefully Carl and I hoisted the bed upright around late morning. After lunch it will be time for some dark hole and slot cleaning once again.

The cleaning took all afternoon. Four hours later it was clean and degreased, I was tired, my hands rasped and Carl banged his head twice. I told you, dangerous stuff.

And that was the day ...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Wasn't there a rock group called The Headbangers? I'll try and find one of their songs. Sorry Carl . . .

I recall seeing an Adendorff mini sandblaster in this thread...wouldn't that be the ticket for the coolant tank's tinworm nesting area?
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I discovered this thread yesterday and could not stop reading - Brilliant!! I love all things old. Cannot wait to read the daily update. You are a Master restorer @mygoggie!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lupus Lunae For This Useful Post:

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast