1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project - Page 14

View Poll Results: Must mygoggie start making videos of all his projects?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it!

11 84.62%
  • Nope, its a silly idea.

2 15.38%
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Default Re: 1953 Colchester Student Mk1 6" gap bed - A restoration project

As I asked in the AV forum... how on earth does one cut a round, flat leather washer on a wood lathe? You need to make a YouTube video of it for stupid folk like me to understand...

Kettie is "Cattie", from "Catapult". Or Slingshot, but I still wanna see you make a flat round leather washer using a wood lathe.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Just a bit off topic. Does Carl sub contract his work out.?

I am setting up to start the process of video making but I need two microphones. See here.

Any help in finding these will be great!
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/06/17 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Just a bit off topic. Does Carl sub contract his work out.?
    Yep, we all do don't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    As I asked in the AV forum... how on earth does one cut a round, flat leather washer on a wood lathe? You need to make a YouTube video of it for stupid folk like me to understand...

Kettie is "Cattie", from "Catapult". Or Slingshot, but I still wanna see you make a flat round leather washer using a wood lathe.

-F_D
    Thanks for the idea @Family_Dog. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Yep, we all do don't we?
    Yes we do but Carl looks seriously dedicated.Can you buy phosporic acid by the 5 liter. ?Where are you buying it.?

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    but I still wanna see you make a flat round leather washer using a wood lathe.

-F_D
    Sandwich between two pieces of wood?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Yes we do but Carl looks seriously dedicated.Can you buy phosporic acid by the 5 liter. ?Where are you buying it.?
    He loves working with his hands and this project is really interesting to him.

Yes, you can. Any chemical place that makes soap for industry and household use. It is sold by mass, so you will buy about 4,2 kg in a 5 liter container.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Sandwich between two pieces of wood?
    Not too far off @4eTouareg!

I get hungry just thinking about this...

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Oh no!!!!! Where is my daily 'fix'?? Nothing posted last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Oh no!!!!! Where is my daily 'fix'?? Nothing posted last night?
    Sorry about that, I was simply too tired. I spent most of the day on the water purification project and trying to find the fault on the Paj and learning how microphones work so that I can get some quality videos made of this project.
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/06/18 at 09:00 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

The last two days were spent working on the Eclipse lathe, the water purification project, finding the cause of the vibration on the Pajero and getting all the software, cables, microphones in place to start making videos.

This morning I found a replacement SKF bearing for the Pajero and ordered it. I will pick it up tomorrow and also collect the plated parts and buy a few things and collect some wood I that was donated to this lathe project.

Two days ago the ON/OFF lever was returned to me. The welding was cut away and the hole filled with new welding and the surface smoothed down again.

A before reminder to you with short memories.

The current status.

There are still two small holes remaining which I am in two minds about. Apparently the area spatters when being welded. Obviously it is filled with crud and oil. I will have to clean this before before welding the two holes closed or I must drill and tap a new hole in this area. Welding is difficult to drill and tap, but to clean the hole before welding I will have to drill the splattering areas in any case ... I will let Brain sleep over it.

I also worked on the tailstock. Remember the oiler that was knocked into the hole?

Brain told me to simply knock it further down as it is damaged in any case. So it took one blow of the hammer and the oiler was released from it suffering.

The bush is still stuck in the tailstock. Must I leave it or remove it and have a new one turned?

I have also set plans into motion to have a new wedgy thing named the apron interlock lever made up. Remember the post about this?

And with that my time and the thread's space-time continuum has met up! Time for now is real for those of us that lives here in this time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

As I need to garage space to work on the Pajero, I have to get the lathe stand primed and out of the way. For this reason I set out to complete the cleaning process today.

Between Carl and myself we lifted the heavy part of the stand onto the garage creeper and pulled it outside. I wanted to sand blast all the areas we could not get into with a wire brush or sanding disk. This spot specifically was full of crud, removed paint, oil and other creepy dark things.

Using very fine dune sand so as to not damage the old steel, it took quite bit of time with the small blaster. But we got it cleaned up very nicely.

Then it was onto brushing and sand blasting the front of the stand. The Boss decided to take photos of Carl and myself playing in the sand.

Carl is inspecting the areas for any greasy and oily areas left that needed to be blasted.

The electrical motor cavity was also blasted to get into all the small spaces we could not reach with wire brushes.

Then the big headache was tackled. The coolant tank. I really need to hire one of those hard working Snow White dwarfs to get in there with a wire brush and clean it up. Access is severely limited due to the size of the hatch opening. Spending about three hours of enjoying sand blasting all over me, I got to a point where all accessible areas were clean and all oil removed.

And Carl was satisfied. All areas were clean! Remember he is the master at cleaning!

Onto removing all the sand. That took another hour of air blasting, sweeping, air blasting and more sweeping.

Finally! The stand is ready to be vacuumed, washed with Parco cleaner and then sprayed with the strontium etch primer.

Carl is washing all the exposed steel areas with a mild phosphoric acid to create a protection layer and prevent any flash rusting. The Parco cleaner will simply wash this layer away as it is also phosphoric acid based.

Bring it on Mr Spray expert!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Quote from: El Sid on Today at 12:57:14 PM

Ag no man! I think you need to focus on the important stuff and work on this lathe only! It's excruciating waiting for updates...

The irony is that my main focus ATM is this lathe project ... the cleaning of the stand took many many mucher hundred million gazillion two thousand and forty three twenty hundreds and twenty nine twenties of seconds and you see no progress to take pictures of and post.

Today was the day of touring through town. First stop was at the bearing supplier and got all the bearings and O-rings I require. The oil seals are on order and the two leather washers I will make next week. The larger O-ring with dimensions matching the original is not available in SA as far as we could determine so I took two O-rings with dimensions very similar to the original 38,1mm x 3,5306mm. This way I can determine which one will fit best. I will post a sheet with all the dimensions and part numbers sometime and somewhere for future reference.

I also made a turn at the plater and collected the lathe and the lamp parts. All nicely cleaned and plated to prevent future rust. Here the lazy bunch of plates are laying in the sun catching some shuteye.

I battled to find some 3M blue masking tape to mask the lids and other items off. I really like using this masking tape as it does not leave any glue residue when you pull it off. Nor does it pull the new paint away when you form a paint edge with the tape. Exactly what is required on the lids (and covers). It is fairly expensive, but it saves a lot of effort and gives me confidence when spray painting.

Last but not least I made a dash and grab into a shock replacement place. I wanted some steel shafting for the ON/OFF lever arm and this is a no cost solution.

Tomorrow is another day, hopefully one where I can spray paint the primer onto the stand.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Tomorrow is another day, hopefully one where I can spray paint the primer onto the stand.
    What primer are you going to use?

I recommend this... Plascon Epiwash Strontium Chromate Primer (AW255)
    https://www.autopaintcentre.co.za/pr...-primer-aw255/
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    What primer are you going to use?

I recommend this... Plascon Epiwash Strontium Chromate Primer (AW255)
    https://www.autopaintcentre.co.za/pr...-primer-aw255/
    Thanks @JohnnoK, I thought I would rather use this primer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whats-App-Image-2020-05-21-at-16-00-09.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	576361

and my wry sense of humour won again ...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

I think you are in a very good position to give JZ counting lessons
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2020/06/20 at 09:09 AM.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Thanks @JohnnoK, I thought I would rather use this primer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whats-App-Image-2020-05-21-at-16-00-09.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	576361

and my wry sense of humour won again ...
    Snap!
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I was not very active on this project today as I spent the whole weekend working on the water purification project and yesterday stripping the bearing from the Pajero's side driveshaft. This morning was spent assembling the Pajero again and asking the Boss to take it for a test drive ...

She says it sounds good now! Let's hope so.

The rest of the day I spent on building the first sand filter from bricks, gravel and sand.

It took most of the day as I was learning how to do it as I went along. You can read more about the project here.

Enough of water and broken vehicles. Back to our beloved Colchester project!

Carl spent most of the day making hooks to hang all the parts to be sprayed. He also cleaned all the lids, covers and most of the other items to be sprayed. Then he spent the rest of the afternoon applying the special 3M blue masking tape to all the machined faces of the parts. In addition he masked off the sigh glasses, polished bits etc etc and etc. He had a good time as I caught him a few times singing and whistling along with the radio. I love it when someone enjoys himself and sings with a song!

I realised that I still need to insert pins into the holes I have cleaned on the headstock, apron and the gearbox side cover while showing Carl what I needed masked off. The correct material to use has been bugging Brain a lot the last few days. The last thing I need is for a galvanic reaction between the cast iron and the pins to be used. So I told Brain, got other things to do this afternoon, but tonight I will address this bugging issue.

In the meantime my friend Brian who is machining the new apron interlock lever and ON/OFF handle arm, phoned me. He had problems interpreting the sketch I sent him which indicates the dimensions of this lever. Now if you remember I got this sketch off the net and did not really check what is what. OK, Brian you have a very good point!

I sat down and used my common sense and a imperial -> metric -> imperial calculator on the net and figured the dimensions out. It is no use you tell a toolmaker you want something to 1,3242". That make as much sense to him as eating cake inside an underwater helicopter whilst breathing through your SCUBA set.

In addition I measured the ON/OFF handle's arm and made a freehand sketch of it for him to use.

Here are the two sketches for your reference in case you ever need it.

The arm:

The apron lockout lever:

Having done this it was time to eat some nice dinner the Boss made. And it was good!

Time then for some chemistry again. I sat down and pulled some galvanic reaction charts to see which materials will least likely create a galvanic reaction with the cast iron. I have no use for small electrical sources on my lathe. It has a big enough motor to turn the chuck on its own!

I know there is very little difference in the anodic index between plain carbon steel and aluminium, but I was a bit concerned with the fact that here we have cast iron or cast steel which I am not too familiar with.

I scrounged around a bit and read a few articles and came to the conclusion that aluminium or steel pins will work fine to repair the holes with. I think I will go with the steel pins as I am planning to replace the hammer drive rivets with tiny cheese head cap screws. Once the holes are all closed up, I will drill and tap new holes for these cap screws.

Tomorrow is spraying day. I had to clean the spray gun again (sigh) as I cleaned it with recycled spirits the last time and that created tiny crystals all over the show! Not good.

Time to relax and be give Brain some good rest!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mygoggie; 2020/06/23 at 08:53 AM.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast