Tesla 1million mile battery..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tesla 1million mile battery..

Times are a-changing!
    The only issue I see for SA, /Africa is that because of the heat, the battery life will be reduced somewhat.. (Lets, just ignore Escom and charging issues for now).

https://youtu.be/Xi7-f1YrdYY

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

So has any Tesla battery actually done 1M miles?

I remember when I used to drive for Intercape and one of their double deckers with a B12 motor rolled over 1 million KM having had no problems other than routine servicing, not even the clutch nor the 8 speed pre-select gearbox had given any issues. Volvo came out from Sweden to see it, because I donít think they believed it.

MacBook batteries are only supposed to last 1000 cycles. 9 years later, mine has just clocked 2000 cycles and is still at normal capacity. Has battery chemistry changed that much that they can now guarantee a Tesla for so long? Iím just lucky, because Swambos battery of the same age konked out at 1200 cycles.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/05/19 at 09:44 PM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Default Re: Tesla 1million mile battery..

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post

I remember when I used to drive for Intercape and one of their double deckers with a B12 motor rolled over 1 million KM having had no problems other than routine servicing, not even the clutch nor the 8 speed pre-select gearbox had given any issues. Volvo came out from Sweden to see it, because I donít think they believed it.

MacBook batteries are only supposed to last 1000 cycles. 9 years later, mine has just clocked 2000 cycles and is still at normal capacity. Has battery chemistry changed that much that they can now guarantee a Tesla for so long? Iím just lucky, because Swambos battery of the same age konked out at 1200 cycles.
    I do not want to change the subject, but how do you measure cycles of charging? Maybe I missed the bus somewhere....?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo Man View Post
    I do not want to change the subject, but how do you measure cycles of charging? Maybe I missed the bus somewhere....?
    You have to be very, very boring

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    You have to be very, very boring

In only 4 clicks of the mouse/trackpad in a Macbook. Literally takes less than 3 seconds. It took you much, MUCH longer to type your response.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2020/05/20 at 08:16 AM.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    In only 4 clicks of the mouse/trackpad in a Macbook. Literally takes less than 3 seconds. It took you much, MUCH longer to type your response.
    I apologise for my Apple ignorance

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

I do not want to change the subject, but how do you measure cycles of charging?
    The same way Tesla measure the performance of their batteries. Itís called technology and it is not at all unique to these 2 companies.

And I donít think weíre going off topic, we are discussing how they make batteries in general last so long and how thats measured/monitored.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2020/05/20 at 09:14 AM.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Close to 1Mkm. 900k km in a Tesla Model S.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidee...-odometer/amp/

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

The Lexus air cooled EVs guarantee on their batteries is 1 million km / 10 years which is also pretty cool.
    Lexus GS350
    Nissan X-trail 2.5 4x4 (old rattle donkey)
    Polo Vivo 1.6 sedan...Ex (Stolen )
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab...Ex
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex

What does such a car and battery cost - separately ?

Just a crude ponder:
    I have done 850 000 km with one of my Nissan Patrols
    At average 8km/L I have used 68 000 L of Diesel
    Over 20 years I guess the average price is about R7.50
    This equates to approx R 500 000 of diesel...
    and approx R75 000 for services
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 848 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 105 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +50 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 120 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post

Just a crude ponder:

The "new" battery technology says the car can do 1 million miles, without a battery change at a 10% degradation of the battery, approximately 4000 cycles..

The question as to what constitutes a cycle is very relevant to this thread....

My solar systems uses 10% of the battery daily, is that 3 cycles/month or zero cycles since it never goes to 90% DoD?

The point is that petrol cars are on their way out, if one can get 800 km on a single charge what more does one need?

This does not bode well for offroading I suppose, not to sure where one is going to find a 100Amp charger in the middle of the Botswana bush!

I don't know if the Tesla cars require servicing, no oil, water, grease required. Maybe the motors need the occasional servicing?

Google says, which is minimal.....

• Tire Rotation, Balance, and Wheel Alignment: 10,000 - 12,000 miles
    • Brake Fluid Test/Flush: 2 years
    • Cabin Air Filter: 2 years
      • High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter: 3 years (if equipped)

• Air Conditioning Service: 2 years (Model S), 4 years (Model X), 6 years (Model 3)
    • Winter Care: Annually or every 12,500 miles for cars in cold weather climates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post

Just a crude ponder:
    That's pretty good. I spent R75k in maintenance on my Jeep over 3 years (10 years ago), and the same amount in petrol over the same period (6km/l).
    Last edited by saxj; 2020/05/20 at 10:11 AM.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

I remember when I used to drive for Intercape and one of their double deckers with a B12 motor rolled over 1 million KM having had no problems other than routine servicing, not even the clutch nor the 8 speed pre-select gearbox had given any issues. Volvo came out from Sweden to see it, because I don’t think they believed it.

MacBook batteries are only supposed to last 1000 cycles. 9 years later, mine has just clocked 2000 cycles and is still at normal capacity. Has battery chemistry changed that much that they can now guarantee a Tesla for so long? I’m just lucky, because Swambos battery of the same age konked out at 1200 cycles.

Wow at 250 odd cycles I guess my 2015 Macbook Pro have quite a long way to go then.

Short distances and start stop traffic kill motors not high miles, that's why it's much more common for long distance trucks and buses to reach 1 million km and less for cars.

In general I'm a fan of Tesla and Musk's way of doing things, so it will be interesting to see where this one goes, he is not afraid to make crazy claims and promises that's for sure.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/05/20 at 06:28 PM.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri

The Tesla story is an interesting one.
    First, the running cost (fuel/energy and maintenance and services) per km is a fraction compared to conventional diesel/petrol vehicles.
    Second, their electric motors are much more simple, way fewer moving parts compared to internal combustion engines.
    Third, I have heard of people getting the Tesla battery charged via solar panel system.
    Go and have a look on above on youtube. I would certainly consider buying a Tesla if I could. Last year I took a Tesla Model x taxi from the airport in Basel Switzerland, very cool and super fast!

Tesla is already disruptive in American and European car markets, just wondering if it will ever come to South Africa. With our current exchange rate I almost doubt...

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/06/just-as-expected-luxury-gas-car-depreciation-getting-slammed-by-tesla-model-3/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Horse For This Useful Post:

1 000 000km seems a lot. If we take the 400km per charge of the standard battery it is only 2 500 cycles it is in line with the technology used for the lithium batteries.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    The "new" battery technology says the car can do 1 million miles, without a battery change at a 10% degradation of the battery, approximately 4000 cycles..

The question as to what constitutes a cycle is very relevant to this thread....

My solar systems uses 10% of the battery daily, is that 3 cycles/month or zero cycles since it never goes to 90% DoD?
    ]
    The way I understand it one cycle equals taking the battery from full charge to whatever the 0% SoC is for that particular battery. So with your example if you take your battery to 90% DoD then doing that 10 times will equal one cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    The way I understand it one cycle equals taking the battery from full charge to whatever the 0% SoC is for that particular battery. So with your example if you take your battery to 90% DoD then doing that 10 times will equal one cycle.
    I know with Trojan T105RE's a cycle is:
    4000 cycles down to 20% DoD - 1 cycle per day = +-10 years.
    1600 cycles down to 50% DoD - 1 cycle per day = +-4 years.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    The example of 90% DOD I would read as 90% SOC as only 10% of capacity was used. If we look at cycle where one uses 10% of capacity=10% DOD you can get say 7 000 cycles. Thus the cycle is only the 10% used. The same battery would only give 590 cycles of using 90% of capacity so then the 90% DOD is taken as a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    The example of 90% DOD I would read as 90% SOC as only 10% of capacity was used. If we look at cycle where one uses 10% of capacity=10% DOD you can get say 7 000 cycles. Thus the cycle is only the 10% used. The same battery would only give 590 cycles of using 90% of capacity so then the 90% DOD is taken as a cycle.

I bought a cable to connect directly to the BMS. In 3 months, at a DoD of 10% per day, I have used 8 cycles......I have also gone down to 40 SoC a few times, just for testing purposes..

So its pretty close to 10% * 30 days = 3 * (100%) cycles or 35 cycles per year......

Waste of batteries really.....Should be cycling them down to 20 SoC every day, but the Goodwe does not allow for fine tuning of when to discharge....

Well , new Lithium - S is coming out end of the year. One charge and vehicle can run 2000km before next charge.

https://www.newsmaker.com.au/news/37...s#.Xs0c_XS6I0O

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerlach For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast