Tesla 1million mile battery.. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tesla 1million mile battery..

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I bought a cable to connect directly to the BMS. In 3 months, at a DoD of 10% per day, I have used 8 cycles......I have also gone down to 40 SoC a few times, just for testing purposes..

So its pretty close to 10% * 30 days = 3 * (100%) cycles or 35 cycles per year......

Waste of batteries really.....Should be cycling them down to 20 SoC every day, but the Goodwe does not allow for fine tuning of when to discharge....
    Newlandy, for the record, I'm a Victron supporter ok!?

But, we both are solar supporters. And because a friend of mine has a GoodWE, I asked him on what you wrote above.

He sent me this picture from his GoodWE installation, in case something is missed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/05/26 at 05:06 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Newlandy, for the record, I'm a Victron supporter ok!?

But, we both are solar supporters. And because a friend of mine has a GoodWE, I asked him on what you wrote above.

He sent me this picture from his GoodWE installation, in case something is missed.
    Mmmmm... Is he using pylontech batteries? If I put in pylontech batteries it removes all options to specify charge, discharge A, V..

Secretly, and I don't want to make it too well known, but if I had to do it all over again, and if I was in SA all the time, I'd go victron as well.. I'd also look at the SunSynk 8kW system..
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/05/28 at 01:58 PM.

I spoke to a friend who spend a couple of months in Germany with a Tesla S end of last year and beginning of this year.

He could charge it for free at any of the Tesla charging stations while he enjoyed a free cup of coffee or tea, which was also free. Most of the bigger factories has charging stations where he could charge for, you guessed it, free!

No need for yearly services. Tyres and brake pads and that is it.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Mmmmm... Is he using pylontech batteries? If I put in pylontech batteries it removes all options to specify charge, discharge A, V..

Secretly, and I don't want to make it too well known, but if I had to do it all over again, and I was in SA all the time, I'd go victron as well.. I'd also look at the SunSynk 8kW system..
    AHA - I read about that, the Pylontech limits, on GoodWE. My pal uses Byd.

Ideally, he said, one needs 3 x 2000 Pylontechs or 3 x 3.5kWH

Yeah, we must not talk too much about Victron ... it upsets people.

I also looked at Pylontech ... just did not make sense to me, the cost. The 2.4kWH bank is so attractive ito price, till you realise you need 2 or more.
    Am myself installing the same lithium battery make as Gerlach, just the 150ah cells, starting off with 16 cells at +-R26k delivered for a 7.6kWH bank.

Because 7.6kWH is still too small for my 5kva, as per recommendation, with a BMV I can overcome that, seeing that the BMS I got cannot interface with the inverter.

EDIT: IF I got it right, a 2.4kWH Pylontech back is a 50ah bank in lead acid terms.
    On a 5kva inverter it is recommended to get min 200ah, unless you can manage it very very wisely.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/05/26 at 08:55 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post

No need for yearly services. Tyres and brake pads and that is it.
    Maybe so, but how much do you pay for the car? Me thinks a Tesla costs about as much as your Landrover of choice.
    A sure sign that there is in fact intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Maybe so, but how much do you pay for the car? Me thinks a Tesla costs about as much as your Landrover of choice.

Yes if you buy a Tesla, you should keep in mind that you'll be saving on services, maintenance and probably also charging cost vs cost of fuel. So I think it's more a thing of looking at the bigger picture, almost a investment, you are investing in a brand and ecosystem, almost like with Apple.

I watched a Youtube video just the other day on how many free software updates Tesla's actually get over the life of the car, keeping them up to spec with the newer models, again similar to Apple where even the old devices get the latest software updates.
    This guy got a model S which he drove for 5 years before getting a new one at the end of last year. In terms of hardware there was very little difference between the one he bought in 2014 and the one he bought in 2019, 99% only cosmetic changes, what we will call a face lift.
    In terms of features and specs there was a big difference between the 2014 from the day he bought it, to the day he sold it, this due to free software updates over time, more power, more features, more range etc.

I think with Tesla we will get to a point where you can drive a car for upwards of 10 years with minimal maintenance costs, over time that car will get plenty new features for free and because they don't change much, you won't feel the need to buy a new car after 3 or 4 years to have the latest and greatest.

So yes, in a weird way similar to buying a lithium battery for your house or leisure use you should trust the technology enough to see it as a longish term call it a 10 year investment.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/05/27 at 01:20 PM.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Ek het die kaans gehad om n Nissan Leaf te ry vir n tydjie. Het dit baie geniet om dorp en stad rond te ry en baie intresante kar. Krag gewys, jy kan nie baie ver ry, dorp em stad kan dit werk. Fun part, as jy jou voet neer sit, tel hy baie vinnig spoed op. Ek ken die eprsoon wie die kar nou besit, en hy het n solar system by sy huis so hy charge die kar van sy huis af. So dit is n wen wen storie.

I know in America Tesla has this sort of loyalty system, by doing certain things you earn free charges at certain stations, it also depends what model car you have, a system similar to our eBucks with FNB. Basically by just following the rules and jumping threw a couple of hoops, you can earn enough free charges each month so that you never pay for a charge. Then of course there's also the guys with Tesla Powerwall systems installed at their houses where you also don't pay for recharging, again being part of the entire Tesla ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    just wondering if it will ever come to South Africa. With our current exchange rate I almost doubt...
    E Mush was already approached by private individuals to get his products in SA, but the barrier to entry is guess who?
    The DTI. Elon basically said unless the draconian import laws are revised there is no possibility of that happening.
    Last edited by Rustie; 2020/06/01 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    E Mush was already approached by private individuals to get his products in SA, but the barrier to entry is guess who?
    The DTI. Elon basically said unless the draconian import laws are revised there is no possibility of that happening.

Sad thing is, if I remember correctly, they are willing to heavily invest not only with the cars, but also the charging network around the country if only government wants to play ball.

Interesting, I have a friend living in Norway, smallish town can't remember the name. At the beginning of the year both the closest petrol stations to him threw out almost all their fuel pumps and more than doubled their charging stations. Each now only have a single petrol and diesel pump but 2 rows of charging stations. He says electric cars mostly Tesla is pretty much the rule rather than exception. He drives a diesel bakkie due to the nature of his work, but expect that it will change when the Cybertruck comes along.

This would be a game-changer, but lets remember that Elon has a habit of vast exaggeration , so I will believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daen View Post
    This would be a game-changer, but lets remember that Elon has a habit of vast exaggeration , so I will believe it when I see it.

He never made empty promises before, I don't see it as vast exaggeration, I see it as him putting his money where his mouth is. Big dreams and big talk then standing behind that talk takes balls of steel.
    Everyone can talk big, but very few can walk that talk in the manner he does.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Well, his trampoline is sorted. He showed it on Saturday. His actually massive cool guy. My one vriend that works in silicone valley for Google is friends with Elon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerlach For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlach View Post
    Well, his trampoline is sorted. He showed it on Saturday. His actually massive cool guy. My one vriend that works in silicone valley for Google is friends with Elon.

He comes across as quite a eccentric guy, weird in many ways. In all his interviews and even speeches he comes across as not being a very good and confident speaker. But apparently he is super clever and super focused, sharper than the sharpest knife.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    He never made empty promises before, I don't see it as vast exaggeration, I see it as him putting his money where his mouth is. Big dreams and big talk then standing behind that talk takes balls of steel.
    Everyone can talk big, but very few can walk that talk in the manner he does.
    The way I see it in 2019 Elon would have delivered 360 000 - 400 000 cars and in the 1st 6 months he only made 155 000 and fell far short. Not a single promise he made he could deliver but that does not mean he might still make it big time. Just look at his actual figures and you will see why people say he makes empty promises.

He did manage to put astronauts into space.....

Not many people can say that..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

He did manage to put astronauts into space.....

Not many people can say that..

Just the weekend he again said SpaceX almost went bankrupt in 2008, but look what they did 12 years later.

Guys I'm bit denying he has accomplished many things, just pointing out that he is also a shameless showman who will say anything he needs to to get what he wants. (like Ramaphosa?) Personally I find that dishonesty unattractive in a person. There are many many lists of his lies over the years.... The first one that came up on google : Here is a list of lies in the Tesla quarterly newsletter he sends to investors , for example : www.dropbox.com/s/ha1exs2s8qne8tz/TSLA%20Mistruths.docx?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Daen View Post
    Guys I'm bit denying he has accomplished many things, just pointing out that he is also a shameless showman who will say anything he needs to to get what he wants. (like Ramaphosa?) Personally I find that dishonesty unattractive in a person. There are many many lists of his lies over the years.... The first one that came up on google : Here is a list of lies in the Tesla quarterly newsletter he sends to investors , for example : www.dropbox.com/s/ha1exs2s8qne8tz/TSLA%20Mistruths.docx?dl=0
    I'm not defending anyone BUT I'm sorry, when I read the word "expect", I understand it is a goal/hope/attempt, and not a fact/we will i.e. not a lie.

And when someone says, who has never done such before, that they will build X units, and at the end of they day they got halfway there, that is also not a lie ... more like over confidence/underestimated the complexities.

And Tesla patents are open source, “for so long as such party is acting in good faith.”
    Political Correctness

24. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

I'm also not saying that Elon is a bad guy, just that he's not the saint he likes to play. Remember that he was forced to resign and pay a fine for misleading statements he made (and these were actual lies) in contravention to the SEC insider trading laws.

Much of Teslas initial technology was given to them for free by Toyota, who then also went on to make their own Hydrogen cell technology "open source". However both companies attach legal conditions to their "free to use" technologies which have made them unattractive for anyone to use in practise (as you say "in good faith" but also "in no way competing with tesla"). You may also note that all battery technology is not "free to use" , and that is where the real challenge for electric cars lie. If you were anti-tesla you could say it was an astute move to advance the technologies by collaboration, with no risk to telsa sales. It has been compared to IBM making PC design "open source" decades ago.

PS: Love your signature !
    Last edited by Daen; 2020/06/04 at 08:28 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Daen For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2