Kick the Habit - Smoking - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Kick the Habit - Smoking

I did find the science of withdrawal symptoms to be pretty accurate.

For the first 72 hours with nicotine still present in your blood, it's hell on earth. My head was constantly buzzing and I could not get basic tasks done.

After 72 hours with all nicotine being withdrawn from blood, it becomes instantly better.

Rook is ### lekker, but I am glad I quit. Did pick up some weight so have to do more exercise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kab123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louis J View Post
    As jy ophou gaan ek ook , rook al van standerd agt af ( Non Stop), Wag vir almal se uit#ak en menings. Oktober 2019 eerste keer opgehou vir 11 dae terwyl ek in ICU was met n longopersaie. Sit nou met minus een kwart van my longe oor( gelukkig niks kwaadaardig nie) So die challenge is aan??
    My tannie het een long verloor aan kanker van lewelank rook. Sy is graf toe net daarna met 'n ciggie in haar hand. Maar bygesÍ, sy was vÍr oor die 70............

My pa (haar boetie obviously) was oorlede na 'n leeftyd van brandewyn met 'n brandewyn bottel in die hand. Ook vÍr oor die 70.

Obviously is rook en drink nie gesond nie.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    My tannie het een long verloor aan kanker van lewelank rook. Sy is graf toe net daarna met 'n ciggie in haar hand. Maar bygesÍ, sy was vÍr oor die 70............

My pa (haar boetie obviously) was oorlede na 'n leeftyd van brandewyn met 'n brandewyn bottel in die hand. Ook vÍr oor die 70.

Obviously is rook en drink nie gesond nie.
    Ken baie mense wat nie gedrink en gerook het nie , wat nie 70 gehaal het nie Maar rook het ook my Ma gevat op 80 . My biologiese pa op 76 diabeties , my aanneem pa 56 infiseem ( myntering) . Baie landmyne daar buite , ons is gebore on te sterf .
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cor View Post
    Ken baie mense wat nie gedrink en gerook het nie , wat nie 70 gehaal het nie Maar rook het ook my Ma gevat op 80 . My biologiese pa op 76 diabeties , my aanneem pa 56 infiseem ( myntering) . Baie landmyne daar buite , ons is gebore on te sterf .
    Yup, friend of ours had to cope with her superfit partner who didn't smoke or drink having a fatal heart attack on their kayak at sea.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Yup, friend of ours had to cope with her superfit partner who didn't smoke or drink having a fatal heart attack on their kayak at sea.
    Friend 60 super fit ( cyclist ) felt sick while cycling died on his way to hospital ( heart attack ) another friend , chain smoker had a couple of heart attacks , will undergo a double bypass as soon as covid greets . Bet he will go on and would see 70plus
    Using Tapatalk

I quit many times, & eventually for good over 30 years ago. The only thing that kept me going was the thought that if I lit up after 2 hours i would have wasted the "agony" of the 2 hours not smoking, 1 day, 1 week & so on.
    Cheers
    Graeme
    PS Good luck Petri "byt fas""
    Last edited by Graeme McConnachie; 2020/05/24 at 09:14 AM.
    2010 Puma 2.4 110
    2014 Kuga 2.0 D Titanium
    4X4 Forum1089 & AG0047

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post

Sterkte Petri oor so rukkie gaan jy droom jy rook en weet jy hoe moerrig is jy dan vir jouself
    Ken daai eenÖ..

Ek het self n paar keer "opgehou" voordat ek my laaste sigaret iewers in laat 90`s gerook het. (Behalwe die een op 26 December 2001 toe my skoonpa oorlede is. In memory of us smoking many cigarettes together "secretly".....)

Sterkte

After smoking for more than 50 years. I started when i was 7 in 1967/8.
    I decided that i will not pay R100.00 for a packet of cigarettes, and thus will not be buying tobacco products anymore.
    I have no smoking related problems. No cough, no shortness of breath, i am fit, not overweight, no high blood pressure or heart issues.
    Thursday i got the craving, and i said to myself. "What's your friggen problem? you dont smoke!" That solved the craving immediately.
    So! After 50 years, i don't smoke!
    For all the old smokers out there, you have my support. Go for it!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    After smoking for more than 50 years. I started when i was 7 in 1967/8.
    I decided that i will not pay R100.00 for a packet of cigarettes, and thus will not be buying tobacco products anymore.
    I have no smoking related problems. No cough, no shortness of breath, i am fit, not overweight, no high blood pressure or heart issues.
    Thursday i got the craving, and i said to myself. "What's your friggen problem? you dont smoke!" That solved the craving immediately.
    So! After 50 years, i don't smoke!
    For all the old smokers out there, you have my support. Go for it!
    @ Petri - was wondering how're you doing with this? Today I'm on day 4 - with exactly the same story as Pieter - except I was probably about 14 when I started. First day, by the end of the day, I was so dof I could have sworn someone slipped weed into my coffee.

Next 2 days were better. Let's see how today goes. I'm in an office full of smokers, who smoke in the office, so need to walk around a bit.
    Last edited by gavpike; 2020/06/01 at 08:55 AM.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Petri, ek is Nov 8 jaar sonder twak! Het 1 November 2012 vir myself gesÍ : Jy is nou klaar! JY HET OPGEHOU! Elke keer as daai craving opkom... SÍ vir myself.... Jy het mos opgehou!

Daar is 'n verskil tussen EK WIL /GAAN OPHOU en EK HET!

SÍ dit net!
    O, en ek het nog daai oop pakkie Marlboro Lights in my kantoor met die datum op!
    Got into the office today. Jup, its still here. Wonder what these babies are worth today? Name:  20200603_083222.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  58.6 KB
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Got into the office today. Jup, its still here. Wonder what these babies are worth today? Name:  20200603_083222.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  58.6 KB
    Yesterday - CT city bowl - a packet (the real stuff not blackmarket stuff) R400 per packet. Of course that might have changed overnight.
    Ezzac

15. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Yesterday - CT city bowl - a packet (the real stuff not blackmarket stuff) R400 per packet. Of course that might have changed overnight.
    That is just ridiculous.

As someone who smoked for 20 years, the lockdown gave me the final push to quit. I have been wanting to quit for a long time, so it was easier although not easy.

R400 for 20 cigarettes is insanity but must also serve as an indicator to people who think nicotine addiction = habit and can be easily broken. No drug addict will ever rehabilitate unless he/ she really wants to stop.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    R400 for 20 cigarettes is insanity but must also serve as an indicator to people who think nicotine addiction = habit and can be easily broken. No drug addict will ever rehabilitate unless he/ she really wants to stop.
    I'm not struggling with the withdrawal, I'm struggling with the habit and trigger points. But - I like that "I'm not trying - I have given up"
    Gavin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    I'm not struggling with the withdrawal, I'm struggling with the habit and trigger points. But - I like that "I'm not trying - I have given up"
    Absolutely. The addiction goes deeper than just chemical dependence. Cigarettes have nicotine, which is an addictive drug but psychologically we have also been brainwashed over many years by clever advertising as well as false narratives and here is where most people fail when trying to quit.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

ah well, its been 25 hours for me!
    I survived the evening beer and morning coffee & smoke so far.
    Tonight i get a smoker visitor for a braai, that could be tough, but i must just do it!

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dieterf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    That is just ridiculous.

As someone who smoked for 20 years, the lockdown gave me the final push to quit. I have been wanting to quit for a long time, so it was easier although not easy.

Well done. Several people I know actually quit due to the lock down on smokes
    Ezzac

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    ah well, its been 25 hours for me!
    I survived the evening beer and morning coffee & smoke so far.
    Tonight i get a smoker visitor for a braai, that could be tough, but i must just do it!
    7 days down. Managed the beer and coffee and I work with smokers who smoke in the office. You can do it!!
    Last edited by gavpike; 2020/06/03 at 10:14 AM.
    Gavin

Well done. Several people I know actually quit due to the lock down on smokes
    So auntie kopdoek is getting her way
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Seriously? Last I heard it was R200 a box
    How much do the carnilux garbage cost now?

Isn't it ironic that the black market is killing it's own market.

Had the price stayed reasonable I (who can afford more expensive) wouldn't have considered stopping. However, when it got silly, I, and many others like me, said "stuff it". It was never about affordability. You will find that lower income guys are still buying.
    Gavin

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast