Trailer build

Thread: Trailer build

Default Trailer build

Posted some pics in "lockdown projects" thread....moved here. The pictures should pretty much tell the story up until now - will update as I go...

In short, a camping trailer which could be taken off road (very bad roads, unlikely to do serious off roading). 1,6t axle, 2,5t leaf springs. 14 inch wheels.

Unbraked, I am confident my calc's are correct to come in below 750kg.

Fitted a Tentco 1,45m trailer tent with awning. Opened it once, single handed. Easy enough, and should be very quick once you have done it a few times.

Quick and easy setup, and pack up, is important to me.

Pretty much the "standard" layout as far as off road/camping trailer go - Will have 12v electrical system with 220ac/12v dc/solar inputs to a 105ah deep cycle battery, 2x 55l watertanks with pump and gas geyser, 2 x 3kg gas cylinders, 2 x 20l jerry cans, nose box (still to come), kitchen on left side, clothing cupboards right side, folding table and benches slide in from rear, solar panel slide in from rear, 2 x large storage drawers in rear, fridge slide (60l fridge), grocery drawer above fridge.

Started building in March this year. Still lots to be done, but will have first outing this year still!

Estimated cost when complete (excluding fridge which I already had, and off course my time) should be a whisper under R60K.

I could not find anything new or second hand that I liked even close to this price, and building it myself is hugely satisfying albeit a hell of a lot of work!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200915_180324.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	588800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200915_180331.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	588801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200326_174343.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	355.6 KB 
ID:	588781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200331_142959.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	407.8 KB 
ID:	588782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200401_192421.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	588783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200403_173902.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	588784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200415_175100.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	588785   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200422_135423.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	588786  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200514_141107.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	588787   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200717_163602.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	588788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200806_135830.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	588789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200824_193125.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	588790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200825_181621.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	588791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200826_135355.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	424.8 KB 
ID:	588792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200826_164434.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	588793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200828_172413.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	588794  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200828_172438.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	588795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200901_162456.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	174.5 KB 
ID:	588796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200914_190048.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	588797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200915_155309.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	588798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200915_172914.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	588799  

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CvdN For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Trailer build

Quote Originally Posted by CvdN View Post
    Posted some pics in "lockdown projects" thread....moved here. The pictures should pretty much tell the story up until now - will update as I go...

In short, a camping trailer which could be taken off road (very bad roads, unlikely to do serious off roading). 1,6t axle, 2,5t leaf springs. 14 inch wheels.

Fitted a Tentco 1,45m trailer tent with awning. Opened it once, single handed. Easy enough, and should be very quick once you have done it a few times.

Pretty much the "standard" layout as far as off road/camping trailer go - Will have 12v electrical system with 220ac/12v dc/solar inputs to a 105ah deep cycle battery, 2x 55l watertanks with pump and gas geyser, 2 x 3kg gas cylinders, 2 x 20l jerry cans, nose box (still to come), kitchen on left side, clothing cupboards right side, folding table and benches slide in from rear, solar panel slide in from rear, 2 x large storage drawers in rear, fridge slide (60l fridge), grocery drawer above fridge.

Started building in March this year. Still lots to be done, but will have first outing this year still!

Estimated cost when complete (excluding fridge which I already had, and off course my time) should be a whisper under R60K.

I could not find anything new or second hand that I liked even close to this price, and building it myself is hugely satisfying albeit a hell of a lot of work!
    Bernhard Whitehead
    aka Bere

Default Re: Trailer build

Brilliant.

Any thoughts ito lessons learnt? Things to be done differently, with hindsight 20/20 vision?

Looks really good
    Layout alot like an echo 4
    I like the way the water tanks are mounted

Any reason for not mounting it under the trailer?

Will you be mounting the batteries in the nosecone or under the floor with an acess pannel
    Last edited by whosthejman; 2020/09/16 at 06:04 AM.
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Post Re: Trailer build

Quote Originally Posted by adielk View Post
    Brilliant.

Any thoughts ito lessons learnt? Things to be done differently, with hindsight 20/20 vision?
    Yes, there are a few small things:

- After welding the box structure, I found that it warped a little here and there. Not bad enough to be a concern, but it is not perfectly square. I would re-think the process if I had to do it again to avoid this.

- All the sheeting is bolted to rivnuts in the frame. I drilled all size for size i.e. 6mm holes for 6mm bolts. When I started assembly, I found that slightest of misalignment made it impossible to get all bolts in. Had to drill out almost all holes a bit. I should have allowed for this when I made all the parts.

- Hinges - I replaced the aluminium hinges for the "vertical" doors in the front with heavy duty hinges from Roadque. Got aluminium hinges first they didn't work well in the sense that they 1) for some or other reason couldn't get the doors to align properly when I fitted them and 2) they just didn't look up to task once I assembled everything. Gut feel told me they would not last and the doors would sag after some rough roads. I am considering replacing the hinges on the "horizontal" doors as well.

- I replaced the jockey wheel. Got a smallish one first - it was extended max to level out trailer, and then it wobbled badly - would have made for uncomfortable sleeping. Got a decent sized one with a 7 inch wheel and much longer - makes a huge difference. Don't go cheap or small on this.

- My steel got wet and rusted. I had to spend a lot of time cleaning rust before painting. I would store material better during the building process

- Probably the biggest lesson learnt that I would give to anybody who want to build their own: I spent a lot of time thinking the design through, research what I wanted to install, decided what I will buy and where, checked dimensions, made sketches, made a simple 3d cad layout drawing to check design will work.....spend time on design and homework. If you know what to do, and how it fits together the build is relatively easy.

Otherwise so far no nasty surprize or issues - it is going pretty much as planned.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CvdN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    Looks really good
    Layout alot like an echo 4
    I like the way the water tanks are mounted

Any reason for not mounting it under the trailer?

Will you be mounting the batteries in the nosecone or under the floor with an acess pannel
    Water requirement calculated as follows: For a weekend away and no water available:" 5 persons (2 adults, 3 kids), 1 shower per day, 10l water per shower = 100l. I planned for 2 jerry cans which would give sufficient additional water for drinking, cooking, washing up etc.

The tanks and 2 cans gives me 150l capacity which is ample.

I could not find water tanks that would fit in the space available in the frame (either too long, too wide, too deep....) if I wanted to mount it underneath, and even if I did I am not sure I would go for the extra complexity of securely fitting and protecting them from stones from underneath. The 55l tanks just happened to fit perfectly inside. Also, the space they sit in would not be usable (because of no access) for anything after rear drawers were fitted and kitchen and clothing cupboards were installed. It just works well for me and for the layout/space I have.

The battery will be fitted in the nose box.

Awesome build miskien moet jy meer bou en verkoop weldone

Quote Originally Posted by Boslover View Post
    Awesome build miskien moet jy meer bou en verkoop weldone
    Baie dankie, waardeer die kompliment!

Die mark is so vol met sleepwaens van alle shapes en sizes, nie seker of daar plek is vir nog nie......lol!

Baie dankie, waardeer die kompliment!

Die mark is so vol met sleepwaens van alle shapes en sizes, nie seker of daar plek is vir nog nie......lol!
    Ek glo daar is veral vir gooie vakmanskap

Miskien as jy nie trailers wil bou nie n ander opsie us om custom mods te doen ek glo dit is hoe blinkgat campers begin het(is nie seker oor my feite nie)

As jy vat die echo kom amper as n lee dop jy moet self slides ect in sit

Ek het bv n trailer gesoek met n kombuis setup soos die bushlapa (die stoof en yskas op een slide in die kant deur)

Mens kry dit nie -ek wil ook nie iets he wat tuisgemaak lyk nie

Jou werk lyk nie tuisgemaak nie!

Sien uit na jou eindproduk
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Rear door fitted today...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200916_121552.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	297.9 KB 
ID:	588890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200916_121600.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	588891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200916_121622.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	588892  

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    Ek glo daar is veral vir gooie vakmanskap

Miskien as jy nie trailers wil bou nie n ander opsie us om custom mods te doen ek glo dit is hoe blinkgat campers begin het(is nie seker oor my feite nie)

As jy vat die echo kom amper as n lee dop jy moet self slides ect in sit

Ek het bv n trailer gesoek met n kombuis setup soos die bushlapa (die stoof en yskas op een slide in die kant deur)

Mens kry dit nie -ek wil ook nie iets he wat tuisgemaak lyk nie

Jou werk lyk nie tuisgemaak nie!

Sien uit na jou eindproduk
    Baie dankie! Interresante idees....sal eers die een klaarmaak, en dan so bietjie besin...lol!

So how are you going to make it legal? eNATIS number etc?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    So how are you going to make it legal? eNATIS number etc?

I do have a registered, licensed and roadworthy trailer - and it was registered as self built. So I just made some modifications to it, right?

If that was not the case, it would have been a bit more hassle - but it can certainly be done. I just decided I do not have the patience to voluntarily go that route.

Looking good. What paint and colour is that?

I do have a registered, licensed and roadworthy trailer - and it was registered as self built. So I just made some modifications to it, right?

If that was not the case, it would have been a bit more hassle - but it can certainly be done. I just decided I do not have the patience to voluntarily go that route.
    Ah very cunning yes
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by A_dam10 View Post
    Looking good. What paint and colour is that?
    E49 Brown, got it from Sleepwaparte.co.za

Very neat build. Have you hooked it behind your vehicle yet? It could be, with your "disselboom" setup, the nose might be a bit high, if your vehicle is standard height.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2020/09/16 at 08:29 PM.
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Very nicely done.

One item I alway wonder about is why not build over the wheel well and increase the enclosed space structure?
    Is there a specific reason to build between the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Very neat build. Have you hooked it behind your vehicle yet? It could be, with your "disselboom" setup, the nose might be a bit high, if your vehicle is standard height.
    Yes, that was checked as soon as I had wheels on the chassis. It sat just fine, but will be a bit lower when complete. I still have plenty up and down available on the drop plate.

Quote Originally Posted by MickPrado View Post
    Very nicely done.

One item I alway wonder about is why not build over the wheel well and increase the enclosed space structure?
    Is there a specific reason to build between the wheels.

Weight is always a consideration, for me at least. Bigger is heavier so at some point I had to find the balance between size needed and weight limitations. I don't like to take too much with when camping, so I made a list of essentials and it should fit in the space I have available. There is still the bakkie if I absolutely have to take more.....

Also - I need the little running boards because I have to step on something to reach the tent, and that is where I wanted to mount my gas cylinders.

In the end, the box width was enough if I simply stuck to the standard sheet width - 1250mm.

Why then add the fenders still? To get my wheel track as close as possible to the tow vehicle...I may not go "serious" off-roading with it, but it will definitely go off road, and lots of soft sand..

Dimensions:
    Overall width: 1800mm
    Box width: 1250mm
    Box height: 900mm
    Overall height: 1500mm (excluding tent)
    Box length: 1800mm
    Overall length: 3000mm (excluding tent)

...give or take a few mm's here and there....

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CvdN For This Useful Post: