Jurgens Magnificent 1978 - remote off-grid living - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Jurgens Magnificent 1978 - remote off-grid living

Just out of interest, how do you keep yourselves occupied each day being so isolated?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frog For This Useful Post:

Those old caravan fridges normally worked with ammonia in the pipes sometimes you just have to turn the fridge around on its head for a day and then it will work great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Just out of interest, how do you keep yourselves occupied each day being so isolated?
    We still work online, we have good Vodacom reception here. We also visit the in-laws at the main farm house on most days and join them for some meals as we don't yet have the fridge and things sorted. Also keeping busy with off-gird / farm-life type things like making a vegetable garden, arid garden, metal bending, enjoying sunsets, hiking and cycling. Oh and in the case of my wife, baking. Attached some photos. Sorry Petri, but the photos are technically not of the caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    Those old caravan fridges normally worked with ammonia in the pipes sometimes you just have to turn the fridge around on its head for a day and then it will work great again.
    Thanks, yes it's an absorption fridge rather than a compression fridge. Like I mentioned one could probably get it working. Someone even mentioned putting it on the back of a bakkie and driving over corrugation to get the ammonia crystals loose. My concern is that even when I get it to work again, the gas option is the only viable option as the 12v uses a lot of power since its heating an element. And I'm not that comfortable with a gas flame being on in the caravan at all times on a 40 year old fridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baking_2000x2000.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	600.3 KB 
ID:	572220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garden_2000x1000.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	483.1 KB 
ID:	572221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200518_134532.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	572222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200517_103418.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	572223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANO_20200430_164316.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	572224   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200516_174734.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	572225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200503_163405.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	572226  

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugmin42 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hugmin42 View Post
    When the threat of Covid-19 started to emerge in February we decided to buy a caravan and to live in isolation for the foreseeable future.

We got this cute Jurgens Magnificent 1978 the day before lockdown came into effect and towed it to Prince Albert to my in-laws' farm.

We spent some time cleaning it, but wanted to do more restoration/painting, but naturally during Level 5 we couldn't buy anything that was needed.

Now that online shops are starting to open again for delivery I would like some advice/suggestions.

Where can I buy solar panels and solar charger with delivery options to Prince Albert? I saw takealot have a few options, but its probably not recommended to buy solar equipment from takealot. Also what brands/models is recommended. We would only need a very basic setup for charging laptops and maybe powering a 12v fridge which also still needs to be bought (have used a Waeco previously which was quite trust worthy, don't know if there are better options for a caravan setup vs 4x4. Is there 12v fridges with front doors instead of the usual 'cooler box' design?). I already have a 100Ah deep cycle battery and 500w inverter. Would thus as far as I understand only need 1 or 2 120W solar panels and a Solar MPPT Charger.

Then I also need a 12v water pump. The caravan has a tap with a power switch that can be connected to the battery and a pipe leading into a cupboard where presumable a water container can be put. I thus need a simple 12v pump that is placed inside a water container. Something that would fit through a container cap. Where can this be bought and what is it called? An in-line 12v pump?
    Engel make a nice upright 220v/12v upright fridge which is fitted into the Bac Trax by Kennis Caravans Roodepoort

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

Nog STEEDS nie vir my reg dat Mense sulke Pics post vir al ons Mere Middelklas Mortals om oor te drool nie.

Dit grens aan Sadisme, veral nou dat daar sulke home made Plaas Eetgoed ook betrokke is.

Keep them coming PLEASE
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Look, even if you get the old fridge working, you would be looking at around 1kg gas per 24 hours.
    If you can live with that, no problem.
    At least you will have some heating for those cold winter nights.

If you do decide to go for a compressor fridge, go for the chest type one.
    They let out less cold air when you open them.
    A normal bar type fridge could also work, but then you would need much bigger batteries and perhaps also a much bigger inverter.

You are indeed very lucky to be able to do this!!!

My current camp set-up is with a 240W solar panel, but with 2 x 200Ah batteries.
    I run lights, 80L Waco, 45L National Luna and my Nespresso machine, no problems

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Look, even if you get the old fridge working, you would be looking at around 1kg gas per 24 hours.
    If you can live with that, no problem.
    At least you will have some heating for those cold winter nights.

If you do decide to go for a compressor fridge, go for the chest type one.
    They let out less cold air when you open them.
    A normal bar type fridge could also work, but then you would need much bigger batteries and perhaps also a much bigger inverter.

You are indeed very lucky to be able to do this!!!

My current camp set-up is with a 240W solar panel, but with 2 x 200Ah batteries.
    I run lights, 80L Waco, 45L National Luna and my Nespresso machine, no problems
    Where did you get this from a caravan 3 way uses about 180 - 280g of gas per 24hour at 25 deg ambient and that takes the temp down to -15. On a fridge only you have a 75 - 130 w element so work out how much or little gas you need to get this output. As for the heating in winter........wishful thinking you can't feel it in summer what about winter.

The reason you don't run the 12V side without having back up is because the 130w translates to 11A on the 12v side and that can buckle the battery. If you convert the 12V to 220 the draw on the 12v side stays the same in theory, in practice it is more as you have some loss.

I have had a few years working on and using these contraptions, serviced my first one when I was 16. Still have one in my workshop keeping cool drinks cold.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Whats wrong with the caravan fridge?
    The 220V fridges are power hungry. They draw more than 10A when you run it off an invertor where the 12V units should draw about 4A in the hot conditions of the Karroo. A chest design is also more efficient than the front opening caravan fridges. This means you will have to double up on the solar system. (Much more expensive than buying the real thing.) Buy directly from snowmaster, it should be a lot cheaper.

On the solar system you must overdesign to get out of the hassle zone. Keep in mind that you will get about 4 to 5 hours of charging time on a good day. (No clouds) It will then have to run on batteries for the rest of the 24 hours. Say 20 hours on the batteries. In hot conditions that will translate to about 20 hours at 4A just for the fridge. This means you will need a minimum of 80 Ah. That translate to 2 x 105 Ah at least. The panels must be big enough to run the fridge while charging the batteries when the sun is there. If you work on 4 hours you must generate 4x4 Ah + the 80 Ah = 96 Ah. 96/4 = 24 A minimum from the panels. At 12V that is 300 W panel minimum. Remember panels that low in SA must be installed at 45 degrees or steeper to get any sort of efficiency. If you have a day of clouds you will still run out of power. Install a battery guard to switch off your 12V system if it drops below 12.1 V on lead acid batteries. If you do not you will destroy those batteries in no time. The standard 105Ah is still your best bang for bucks, but then you must protect them.

All this does not include the pump or laptops and cellphones. Consider having the water on a stand and gravity supply.
    On the 12V side you must not skimp on copper. Thick wires are a must as is very good connections. Either hydraulic crimping or decent solder.

Sounds like a nice option staying out there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

It's 42 years old (probably). It's an ice craft caravanner 85. Even if I get it working according to some posts on this forum it is not very efficient. If someone knows more about it I'd be willing to try and give the gas option a shot again, but the last owner didn't use the gas option as it is closed off.
    Never run a gas fridge off 12V, it is a killer and also not efficient at all. A decent gas fridge can work well but is rather heavy on gas. (Expensive)

Isn't it going to get p##s cold in a caravan in Prince Albert in winter?

Thanks for all the replies guys and sorry for my absence. Looks like these 3-way fridges are quite the conversation starters with lot's of contradiction.

I ordered a solar panel and a charge controller to kick things off. It arrived by courier and I temporarily set it up to power a wifi booster from the main house to one of the guest cottages that we're also sleeping in, since there are no guests currently.

So far so good. The Victron BlueSolar 75/15 controller looks really well built and seems to do what it is meant to do. This one however does not have the built in Bluetooth, apparently it needs a separate Bluetooth dongle that plugs in, but that's probably why it was 'only' R1600 and not R3000+.

The panel is a 120W panel from 4x4 Direct, it cost R1200. Will probably get a second one soon so that they have similar specs.

With regards to the cold, yes it can and did get quite cold here during the cold front that hit last week, but now it's warmer again. We however kind of moved into one of the cottages with a fireplace. It's a catch-22. We wanted to isolate on the farm with the caravan, thinking all the cottages would be full, but since there are no tourists the cottages are all empty. And by the time people start travelling again we will probably also be able to travel again.

In the far future like 2021 or 2022 when the cottages are hopefully fully booked again and we are returning from an overseas trip, at least then we will have something we can call 'home'. And for now it is a nice, weekend getaway or place to go and drink an afternoon coffee and read, etc.

We thus still want to 'kit' it out properly, but have more time to look for specials, etc. And even longer term we might build a cottage of our own which will still be off-grid, so at least any 'off-grid' investment now will be put to good use in due course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200524_102902.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	573970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200524_102852_1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	573971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200524_102844.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	573972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200529_172032.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	470.5 KB 
ID:	573973  

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hugmin42 For This Useful Post:

What did the temps dip to during the cold front?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    What did the temps dip to during the cold front?
    We unfortunately didn't measure it, but below 5 would be my guess. So not near Sutherland's -8, but still pretty cold.

We unfortunately didn't measure it, but below 5 would be my guess. So not near Sutherland's -8, but still pretty cold.
    Ouch, in that caravan it would have been bitterly cold, imagine needing the loo at 3am

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2