Overland December2020-January 2021

Default Overland December2020-January 2021

Hi everyone

Planning our first overland trip for December if the lockdown is lifted... we are planning to visit Namibia, Zim and most of the time in Botswana
    If the “experts” could please have a look at the itinerary and let me know what your thoughts are. Our main aim is wildlife photography and a really “wild” experience!
    All help and opinions will be greatly appreciated

December
    11 Johannesburg-Mabuasehube camping at mpaya
    12 mpaya

13 mata mata

14 swakopmund

15,16,17 skeleton coast

18,19 Etosha

20 Caprivi

21 Vic falls

22,23 Hwange
    where would you advise to camp in Hwange

24,25,26 Chobe

27,28,29 savute
    Which campsite in savute is the best? We have enquired for nr1,2 or 4

30,31 khwai
    Thinking of booking Magotho!?

1,2,3,4 moremi
    Which of the campsites in moremi would you recommend? I enquirer for 2 nights at 3rd bridge campsite 2 and undecided for the other 2 nights

5,6,7,8 CKGR
    Which sites would you recommend? And would you split it 2nights 2nights

Looking forward to your responses!!!

Default Re: Overland December2020-January 2021

Not to p!ss on your battery, but I seriously think you need to re-evaluate your dates. I very much doubt that borders to Namibia, Botswana or Zim will be open for tourism by then.

I take Namibia for example. They have been strict and banned all travel early, keeping their cases down to 16 (only 4 cases active currently) There is NO way that they will let people from a country with 100 000 (Im willing to bet we will have 2 or 3 times that number by Dec/Jan, but lets hope) cases into their country, when they sit with no cases.

I suspect that Botswana will be the same. Their borders will also remain closed to SA.

Zim I think is an unknown. Their numbers are low currently, but who knows which way they will go. I think they arent testing as we are so numbers are under reported.

Otherwise your trip sounds awesome.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

I will go with Caracal sentiments. I have given up on 2020 completely. Today they announced that we can travel within districts and within few hours they changed that now you need a permit to travel within districts. I called Matswere gate to ask if I can just go camping after relaxation of travel restrictions and was told all national parks and reserves are closed.
    We don’t know what will happen, but I would forget about travel across border through out of 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Jako1987 View Post
    Hi everyone

Planning our first overland trip for December if the lockdown is lifted... we are planning to visit Namibia, Zim and most of the time in Botswana
    If the “experts” could please have a look at the itinerary and let me know what your thoughts are. Our main aim is wildlife photography and a really “wild” experience!

December
    12 mpaya

13 mata mata

14 swakopmund

15,16,17 skeleton coast

18,19 Etosha

20 Caprivi

21 Vic falls

22,23 Hwange

24,25,26 Chobe

27,28,29 savute

30,31 khwai

1,2,3,4 moremi
    Which of the campsites in moremi would you recommend? I enquirer for 2 nights at 3rd bridge campsite 2 and undecided for the other 2 nights

5,6,7,8 CKGR

Hi Jako, here some of my thoughts...

Mpaya-Mata is a long leg, I'd consider 9-10+ hours whether you go through the boso trail until Nossob, or the way round Tsabong-two rivers.
    The leg from Mata-Mata to Swakopmund is another 10+ hours drive. Both not impossible but, you know, if you have any issues (get stuck or mechanicals,...) then you may have problems.
    Just to make myself clear, I've never been di Kgalagadi but I'm planning to and did researches, asked people here...If your priority is wildlife and you are a photo enthusiast, I don't see the point to just pull though Kgalagadi in 2 nights by doing nothing but driving. Kgalagadi has to be one main attraction of your trip (just have a look at some videos on youtube), so to be honest with you, rushing it in two nights is utter nonsense, I'd rather avoid Kgalagadi completely. Just to give you an idea, I'm planning to spent 9 nights there, so I'd say that 4 nights is the minimum.

Another thing to think about are the nights between Swakopmund and Skeleton Coast. What is your goal here exactly? Cape Cross and the seal colony? Sandwich Harbour perhaps? A boat tour to see more seals, pelicans, and maybe some dolphins? Sandboarding on the dunes?
    Again, 4 nights in total is too much and unnecessary. Unless you have a passion for fishing, there is no reason at all to spend 3 nights along the skeleton coast. Rather add one or 2 nights in Etosha instead (since you said that wildlife is your priority).

The leg from Etosha to Divundu (beginning of Caprivi strip) is doable but try to make sure to camp in Namutoni the last night (I did it from Halali so it's doable).

I'd spend 3 nights in Hwange and 2 in Choberiverfront (totally sufficient) the day you leave Hwange, enter in Botswana through Pandamatenga (easy and fast border than Kazungula), if you reach Kasane by 1 or 2 pm, don't miss the boat cruise on the chobe riverfront at 3 pm (usually), magnificent photographic opportunities especially during the back ride with the sunset. Possibly one of the best sunset you'll ever see. If rain has come in enough quantity to turn everything green, 3 nights in Savute is also a good choice.

As for the other two nights in Moremi, consider South Gate, close to the black pools area and Xini Lagoon and not too far from the Bodumatu area, all prime game areas inside Moremi.

Going to CKGR I'd consider one night stop in Maun for proper re-supply and the next morning go on to CKGR. As to where to camp I've been to Passarge and to Sunday pan which are in the northern circuit. Probably some would suggest that the north-eastern side of CKGR towards Matswere, around sunday and leopard pan is the best area for game viewing. If you stay at Kori campsite (which I've heard is quite nice) or Sunday pan for all nights, you could dedicate 2 days in the area for game drives, 1 day just to drive the circuit with fantastic landscapes of open flats, and day 4 a trip to piper pan which I would also recommend for amazing photos you can take. And then, once you leave the park from the gate, you will probably realise that you felt in love with CKGR.
    Actually, I'm so stupid that out of 4 trips, I've been there once. I swear this won't happen again.

Your trip from the 21 dec on is very well thought (just make 3 nights in Hwange and 2 in chobe, and consider a stop in Maun between Moremi and CKGR), but you need to re-think the beginning.
    So, just for the sake of pulling through Kgalagadi in 2 nights, cancel it! If it was my trip, I'd skip Swakopmund and the skeleton coast, add 3 nights in the Kgalagadi and one in Etosha. From Mata-Mata to Okaukuejo is another 10+ hours drive, but the only very long drive and much more worth the trip. Then again, you do as you prefer according to your priorities.

Ok, I think this covers it all, at least as far as my opinion concerns.

Hope you can make it, if not, it will be next year.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambots For This Useful Post:

You going to drive yourself stukkend Boet!

Yes Vnielsen sal weet. Ons het mekaar op die Bosobogolo pad gekry. Dit neem wraggies n groot deel van n dag om tussen Mabua en Nossob te ry. Daai kronkels, sinkplaat en duine. En dan nog die 160km na Mata Mata. Ek stem saam vat eerder jou tyd en doen dit deeglik.
    Kon julle bespreek kry deur n agent? Hoe kan hul jul waarborg dat als gaan voortgaan met die lockdowns of het jul ook soos ons ander n jaar vooruit bespreek?
    ONE LIFE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildkyker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post
    You going to drive yourself stukkend Boet!
    This ^^^

Hectic trip in possible wet conditions.

Plus, I would not be planning (and paying for) any cross-border trip until it is clear when borders will open permanently.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Hi everyone

December
    12 mpaya

13 mata mata

14 swakopmund

15,16,17 skeleton coast

18,19 Etosha

20 Caprivi

21 Vic falls

22,23 Hwange

24,25,26 Chobe

27,28,29 savute

30,31 khwai

1,2,3,4 moremi

5,6,7,8 CKGR

Hi you are going to explore the most amazing places in the world, but there is no time to enjoy it in your schedule?
    You will have to leave many times very early in the morning and also arrive late, so driving sleeping...

If I was you I would extend your holiday with some weeks or make a choice and stay longer at the same places.

But if driving and sleeping is what you want....nice roads to view ;-)

cheers

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by jpseekles View Post
    Hi you are going to explore the most amazing places in the world, but there is no time to enjoy it in your schedule?
    You will have to leave many times very early in the morning and also arrive late, so driving sleeping...

If I was you I would extend your holiday with some weeks or make a choice and stay longer at the same places.

But if driving and sleeping is what you want....nice roads to view ;-)

cheers

Johan

Consider that a similar plan I'm putting together (KPT, CKGR, Khwai, Savuti, Hwange, Makgadigadi pans) starting and returning to windhoek is going to take me 7 weeks. Yet I have to make choices and skip some area/places I'd love to see.

"experts" sarcasm?

Crazy trip during the crazy wet season.

Heed the warnings re the virus and travel restrictions. If borders are opened by then and the urge is still there then don't book and do a trip on the fly.

Keep the same number of days and cut out Mabua and Namibia as planned. Maybe? (X? =nights)

• Jhb to Khama Rhino (X2)
    • Khama Rhino to CKGR (northern section - 2 sites - X6)
    • CKGR to Khumaga (X2)
    • Khmaga to Nxai Pan (X1 Baines & X2 South Camp)
    • Nxai Pan to Maun (X2 Delta flight)
    • Maun to Moremi (earlier in Dec is better chance of dry roads) (2 sites X6)
    • Moremi to Savuti (X3)
    • Savuti to Chobe (X2)
    • Chobe to Kasane (river cruise, Vic Falls) (X3)
    • Kasane to Hwange via Panda (Dec not so good last year huge drought and very little animals) I would cut Hwange out but you choose)
    • Hwange/Kasane to Nata (X2) Elephant Sands/Nata Lodge/Nata Bird Sanctuary
    • back home

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    "experts" sarcasm?

Crazy trip during the crazy wet season.

Heed the warnings re the virus and travel restrictions. If borders are opened by then and the urge is still there then don't book and do a trip on the fly.

Keep the same number of days and cut out Mabua and Namibia as planned. Maybe? (X? =nights)

• Jhb to Khama Rhino (X2)
    • Khama Rhino to CKGR (northern section - 2 sites - X6)
    • CKGR to Khumaga (X2)
    • Khmaga to Nxai Pan (X1 Baines & X2 South Camp)
    • Nxai Pan to Maun (X2 Delta flight)
    • Maun to Moremi (earlier in Dec is better chance of dry roads) (2 sites X6)
    • Moremi to Savuti (X3)
    • Savuti to Chobe (X2)
    • Chobe to Kasane (river cruise, Vic Falls) (X3)
    • Kasane to Hwange via Panda (Dec not so good last year huge drought and very little animals) I would cut Hwange out but you choose)
    • Hwange/Kasane to Nata (X2) Elephant Sands/Nata Lodge/Nata Bird Sanctuary
    • back home
    Hi,

So what I can understand from your suggestion is to do a trip without booking. Would also lie to do a trip that way. What happen if you cant find a place for the night.

Regards
    Sidney

Hi Jako,

Looks like an awesome trip you are planning. I will suggest rather not to try and fit in all of this into one trip and rather do a more focused trip. I can suggest either Namibia on its own or Botswana + Zim or Botswana + Caprivi for example. You will lose a lot of days on driving in your suggested route.

If you'd like support with route planning and accommodation/camping bookings in Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe, feel free to contact Ultimate Routes for assistance.
    Email: [email protected]

Regards, Francois Erasmus

Hi everyone

December
    12 mpaya

13 mata mata

14 swakopmund

15,16,17 skeleton coast

18,19 Etosha

20 Caprivi

21 Vic falls

22,23 Hwange

24,25,26 Chobe

27,28,29 savute

30,31 khwai

1,2,3,4 moremi

5,6,7,8 CKGR

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    Hi,

So what I can understand from your suggestion is to do a trip without booking. Would also lie to do a trip that way. What happen if you cant find a place for the night.

Regards
    Sidney
    Yes that is exactly what I'm saying.

It will help others give advice if they understand your camping set-up i.e. are you towing? Keep traveling and camp set-ups to a minimum is easy to suggest but when RTT-ing you have to break up and build camp every day day. Using my suggested itinerary as a basis for further comment please see below. I suggest concentrate on the northern part of Botswana.

• Jhb to KRS is doable at 8.5hrs (including border Xing, excl shopping) Palapye has many top notch shops -Food Lovers, the best Spar, Checkers, Choppies, a good butcher I'm told (Forumites help) etc.
    • Leave home at 04h00 to give yourself flexibility to move on if in the unlikely event that you can't get a site at KRS
    • KRS should have camping available and is only normally over full over public/school holiday long weekends.
    • If KRS full then travel on to Lethlakane. A great overnight stop (no restaurant) is Tuuthebe Lodge and campsite on the Lethlakane - Orapa road. Leaving Jhb at 04h00 you should be there at latest 15h00. Fill up in Lethlakane.
    • KRS is worth a 2 night stay to explore the park and for the Rhino sightings.

• CKGR should have campsites available at that time of the year and you should not have a problem: Matswere Gate (which I don't recommend), Kori, Sunday Pan (Privatised -Bigfoot office at Matswere gate), Deception, Letiahau (Bigfoot). Pick any two/three and spend 2 to 3 nights at each. Sundays and Kori are great areas. Piper Pan is also great and is the favourite of many. When you get to the gate maybe try for 2 nights at Sundays travel to Piper Pan for 2 nights and then back up to Kori. In fact anywhere in the CKGR is great.

• From Kori travel to Magadigadi National Park and cross the Boteti river (by ferry or drive across if dry) and camp at Khumaga (well run by SKLCamps) for 2 or 3 nights then move onto the lovely remote Njuca Hills campsite for 1 night.

• You should have no problems with getting a site as above but you do have the option of camping at the old Tiaans Camp now called Boteti River camp managed by Bush Ways Safaris. This option is really value for money at a SADC special rate of BWP120 per person and kids free. You'll need to pay park fees when you enter the park for visits.

• Getting to Nxai Pan from any of the above campsites is easy enough. The Nxai access road is a bit of a devil (sandy and undulations), ask at the gate which of the two access roads is the best and take it easy. Spend one night at Baines and I would recommend 4 nights at South Camp (one of my favourite parks in Botswana). Being Dec it would more than likely be dry then reduce the number of nights to 2 but if a few early rains have fallen you could be lucky with the pans calling game in from a far. You will get a site at Nxai pan/Baines. You book in at the Main Entrance gate spend a few minutes talking to staff there for guidance. I have in the past booked for 3 nights and being lucky with the game sightings we just extended our stay by talking to the officers at South camp. The campsite is run by Xomae (they also run 3rd Bridge in the Moremi)

Lay out your preferred route and then do the paper exercise of what, ifs and how's to ensure that your flexibility takes priority. Remember that you can also do a lot of your bookings whilst on the road. I am not sure if this helps at all but go for it!!!
    Last edited by TRON; 2020/06/03 at 11:03 AM.