Battery usage?

Thread: Battery usage?

Default Battery usage?

I have 10KW of pylontech batteries installed and have started using the batteries from midnight to 7 am, then recharging them using PV. I use about 4KWh in that time.

Frankly, after having spent the money on the batteries, I've got buyers remorse!
    If one has bought expensive batteries and just has them sitting there waiting for load shedding its a waste of money, no ROI from the batteries.

Most people are just using their batteries during load shedding, who else is actually cycling their batteries on a daily basis and why?

Default Re: Battery usage?

I run my house from solar during the day and going over on batteries till about 21h00, then switch back to minucipal power. Back to solar at 7h00 in the morning.

From 10pm till the sun takes over or the batts hit 80% SOC, my batteries are used.

Inverter set to only feed 300w into the house during that time, back to full power at 9am, as that is what the house draws at night when all is asleep.

Been using 20% of the batteries now going on 6 years now.

If you have batteries, USE THEM!
    Or else they will die of "old age".
    Ideal is to only use 20% of them between loadsheddings.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    I have 10KW of pylontech batteries installed and have started using the batteries from midnight to 7 am, then recharging them using PV. I use about 4KWh in that time.

Frankly, after having spent the money on the batteries, I've got buyers remorse! No ROI from the batteries.
    What you mention is what Fluffy has been saying all along it cost you dearly to generate own power and store in batteries for use later.

I have pointed out that my grid tied saves 330 days per year and for the other 35 I have a small inverter with batteries. I don't intend using bat for my lights as the effort not worth the saving. Lights use about R20 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Lights use about R20 p.m.
    Very good point to bring up ... saving R20 pm after spending 10 times that (or more) just to have lights run on batts, makes no sense.

Just to be clear. On my post, the 300w, that is over the entire house, fridge, freezers, alarm ... all that stuff that is on when we sleep.
    Total different ballgame.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

I use about 8 kWh of the 15 on tap every night. It runs a geyser heat cycle, dishwasher, oven, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post

Frankly, after having spent the money on the batteries, I've got buyers remorse!
    If one has bought expensive batteries and just has them sitting there waiting for load shedding its a waste of money, no ROI from the batteries.

Most people are just using their batteries during load shedding, who else is actually cycling their batteries on a daily basis and why?
    You are probably 100% correct.
    My experience with lead acid batteries was so disappointing (just for load shedding!) that I opted for a grid tie system.
    But what I'm hearing here is the new Li-Ion technology is a new deal.
    Are you saying that these new batteries can be fully cycled daily without fear of trashing them (as opposed to lead acid batteries)??

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    You are probably 100% correct.
    My experience with lead acid batteries was so disappointing (just for load shedding!) that I opted for a grid tie system.
    But what I'm hearing here is the new Li-Ion technology is a new deal.
    Are you saying that these new batteries can be fully cycled daily without fear of trashing them (as opposed to lead acid batteries)??
    Yes, they are (there are many Li-Ion batteries, Po4, Cr etc, they are not all equal) able to be cycled on a daily basis, should last 10 years+ if treated well at a loss of 20% power over that 10 years. If all goes well they have a lifespan of 15-20 years.

Treated well means that you should keep at max 90% charge and go no lower than 20%...This is the perfect way to treat the battery and the temp should be >0-25C.

Now, the trouble with the above is that your Inverter/charger has to be configurable at a granular level to allow one to set those specific charge/discharge parameters.

I have a Goodwe, it can limit the discharge but not the charge levels, it uses the Pylontech BMS to decide how much current , voltage is applied to charging and to what level to charge.

I believe the Victron inverter setup is the most configurable but there is another one, sunsynk that seems to be highly configurable as well (from documentation only, no experience) , the others I'm not sure of.

I'm sure that in the next 10 years there will be a new battery technology that will outperform the Li batteries.

I watched a video yesterday where they were testing a LiFePO4 battery to destruction. They shot it, twice (!), burnt it, and short circuited it ...It would not catch fire (did make smoke though), so very safe and stable...

Disclaimer: I'm not a battery fundi or scientist and have not verified the above, all comes from reading and batteryuniversity.com as well as other power forums.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post: