AGM Battery usage as a second battery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AGM Battery usage as a second battery.

I understand one cannot use an AGM battery for primary use (Something to do with cracking power and engine electronics) but is it usable as a second battery in a vehicle or trailer / caravan. It is smaller in size so easier to setup as a second battery. We use them for our UPS installations on the farm and they also do not need continual charging if not in use. If anyone is using them please advise your experience with them?
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Default Re: AGM Battery usage as a second battery.

Where did you get that info? I thought a lot of car batteries are AGM these days? Are you sure?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

AFAIK about 90% of the cars that stop the engine when stationary are using AGM. BMW bikes have all been fitting AGM for many years.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Over here in Ausland nearly all deep cycle batteries used as aux batteries are AGM.

I have a 120Ah AGM deep cycle as my aux battery.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    Slowly getting sorted for remote camping

yeah, I think MikevR is getting confused between shallow cycle, high CCA batteries and deep cycle, low CCA batteries.

A deep cycle battery with low Cold Cranking Amps won't like being used as starter battery, regardless of whether it is standard lead acid or AGM.

But I'm no expert, Fluffy or Ekkekan I think know a lot about this stuff.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

We had 2 x 110 td5 Defenders at work that were fitted with deep cycle batteries at the agents. As long as the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) are sufficient to start the vehicle.
    It seems you can use an AGM battery just where you want to.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

From Bosch batteries: If battery replacement is needed, it is important to install AGM batteries again in passenger cars that were fitted with this type of battery when new. Otherwise, the function and positive effects of the start/stop system would be impaired. The battery service life would also be reduced.

So make sure the vehicles charger was designed for AGM batteries, if not, AGM's are not a good idea.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yeah, I think MikevR is getting confused between shallow cycle, high CCA batteries and deep cycle, low CCA batteries. A deep cycle battery with low Cold Cranking Amps won't like being used as starter battery, regardless of whether it is standard lead acid or AGM. But I'm no expert, Fluffy or Ekkekan I think know a lot about this stuff.
    Thanks Jelo, I was referring to deep cycle as that is what we are using as stand alone installation on the farm. They are quite narrow batteries that is why I thought to use them as a second battery. I would only replace primary batteries with Mnfrd recommendations anyway. I am aware that there is newer more modern technology emerging but am not fully versed in the applications.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    Thanks Jelo, I was referring to deep cycle as that is what we are using as stand alone installation on the farm. They are quite narrow batteries that is why I thought to use them as a second battery. I would only replace primary batteries with Mnfrd recommendations anyway. I am aware that there is newer more modern technology emerging but am not fully versed in the applications.
    We will always be discussing batteries and how to use them. These batteries which I have also posted in the "Impressed with China Inverter" is labelled that they can be discharged to 80% but also that they should not be cycled to over 50% on a regular basis. They are sold by Battery Centre where I source my batteries.

The reason for this post is that they do have a cold crank amps of 710A which is within 10% of the CCA for a similar starting battery and can be deep cycled. Very few vehicles need such a high CCA. If we look at the common 651C battery used by Hilux and Ranger only have a 520-565A CCA value. I do feel at about R2 200 without a scrap and R1 880 with a scrap battery this is great value considering it is a 102Ah battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smf-101-CCA-standby.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	571100

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

My sons Mercedes V8 uses one of these

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-...gm/595-901-085

95Ah. 850A CCA

@Ekkekan. That is a good choice of battery
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    From Bosch batteries: If battery replacement is needed, it is important to install AGM batteries again in passenger cars that were fitted with this type of battery when new. Otherwise, the function and positive effects of the start/stop system would be impaired. The battery service life would also be reduced.

So make sure the vehicles charger was designed for AGM batteries, if not, AGM's are not a good idea.
    Friend of mine experienced this with her Volvo.
    The Volvo mechanic replaced the battery with a standard car battery. 6 months later the car died at an intersection after the "stop-start" wouldn't initiate.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4

Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mtber View Post
    Friend of mine experienced this with her Volvo.
    The Volvo mechanic replaced the battery with a standard car battery. 6 months later the car died at an intersection after the "stop-start" wouldn't initiate.
    I would change my mechanic that thinks a normal battery would stand up to the many starts per day. Even when he orders a battery the battery dealer would indicate a AGM. Surely this was not a Volvo dealer mechanic?

Based on my experience with the BMW bike that was fitted with AGM in the factory a normal battery is charged good enough for me to get it to last longer (3years) than it seems the AGM lasts if I read on the BMW forum for bikes. A number of guys report less than 12-18 months life from a AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    I would change my mechanic that thinks a normal battery would stand up to the many starts per day. Even when he orders a battery the battery dealer would indicate a AGM. Surely this was not a Volvo dealer mechanic?

Based on my experience with the BMW bike that was fitted with AGM in the factory a normal battery is charged good enough for me to get it to last longer (3years) than it seems the AGM lasts if I read on the BMW forum for bikes. A number of guys report less than 12-18 months life from a AGM.
    Unfortunately this was at a dealership.
    Point just being that the incorrect battery can create havoc 🙈
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4

Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Just asking, but with this fancy start stop on some fancy vehicles, I believe that when you stop at a robot the car switches off. When you want to drive it restarts again Surly the starting/stopping up chews the battery making it flat by the time you get home from all the robot stops etc and surly the life of the battery is shortened vs a non stop start vehicle set up. Sorry, I'm not clued up with the modern stuff. Txs
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Just asking, but with this fancy start stop on some fancy vehicles, I believe that when you stop at a robot the car switches off. When you want to drive it restarts again Surly the starting/stopping up chews the battery making it flat by the time you get home from all the robot stops etc and surly the life of the battery is shortened vs a non stop start vehicle set up. Sorry, I'm not clued up with the modern stuff. Txs
    On top of those questions, I read an article where it was discussed on how much is really saved when you take the fuel saving of the vehicle over in its warranty period, compared to battery and starter replacements costs.

The sums where not in favour of start/stop.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

This problem of recharging is why a AGM battery is used. Also the reason why the engine is stopped is to reduce fuel consumption during the test cycle. It is not to be cheaper for the consumer. This is my take on it.

What you take out during one start at 300A for 3sec you can easily put back in 30-40sec and ready for the next start. To me there is more than enough time to recharge on any trip. Just a very rough indication.

On top of those questions, I read an article where it was discussed on how much is really saved when you take the fuel saving of the vehicle over in its warranty period, compared to battery and starter replacements costs.

The sums where not in favour of start/stop.
    I think its more about emissions.

A queue of cars 10 kilometers long idling for 20 minutes isn't good for the environment. (Just a tiny section of the Gauteng N1 Toll)

Now multiply that out by tens of millions of cars for hours.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

A queue of cars 10 kilometers long idling for 20 minutes isn't good for the environment. (Just a tiny section of the Gauteng N1 Toll)

This should also reduce the CO2 which in turn has a bearing on the carbon tax portion on the price of the vehicle.

Just some junk info on battery replacement. A number of cars you have to register either the type and/or size of replacement battery. An IBS is normally fitted for this purpose. This setting goes to the ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

Good point.

But what are all these new catalytic converters for?
    Political Correctness

Some points from VARTA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VARTA-AGM.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	571252

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast