Alko Hitch bumping on Jurgens Oryx

Default Alko Hitch bumping on Jurgens Oryx

When towing the Caravan offroad, there is a lot of jarring from the Caravan.
    I have adjusted the Caravan brakes to limit the play but there is still that hard bump as I pull forward. I was thinking the damper may be worn?
    Surely this can not be right? I live in Southern Namibia, 1000km from Windhoek so need to work it out myself. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Default Re: Alko Hitch bumping on Jurgens Oryx

There is a shock absorber below the main shaft as well as hard rubber bump stops on both ends of the main shaft. Both of these control the situation you are experiencing. Most of the better caravan shops carry the rubber bump stop rings and shock absorbers and they are quite easy to replace. I have a diagram with the breakdown of the components for the hitch on my other computer that I can send to you.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Maak net seker of daardie skokbreker se boude alkant nog vas is. My Oryx het ook so gemaak toe het die bout op die voorkant uitgeval. Skokbreker het niks makeer nie.
    Last edited by fanusl; 2020/05/10 at 10:02 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fanusl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    There is a shock absorber below the main shaft as well as hard rubber bump stops on both ends of the main shaft. Both of these control the situation you are experiencing. Most of the better caravan shops carry the rubber bump stop rings and shock absorbers and they are quite easy to replace. I have a diagram with the breakdown of the components for the hitch on my other computer that I can send to you.
    Thanks, I would appreciate it.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Shock possibly needs replacement. Heavy duty one costs just under R1000

8. The Following User Says Thank You to desdrake For This Useful Post:

Probarly shock absorber as mentioned above. But also check the play on the shaft as well.

I had the same bumping & jarring symptoms when towing my Jurgens XCAPE as you describe.
    I replaced the rubbers and shock - vast improvement.

Caution - I was advised not to replace the shock with a 'heavy-duty' unit.
    Unfortunately I cannot remember the reason for that now, but it made sense then - I installed the 'standard' shock.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

I have attached the diagram showing the breakdown of the components making up the coupler assembly.
    The shock is item #33 and the rubber bumper is item #26 on the diagram.
    You have to remove the shock to be able to change the rubber bumper so I'd change the two together. I have done it with the hitch assembly removed from the caravan as I didn't feel like fighting with it while lying under the hitch. Once you have removed the hitch assembly you can turn it over on a workbench and get to everything easily. I disconnected the brake system without fiddling with the adjustment by removing the pin that attaches the rod to the lever mechanism.
    With the shock remover you then need to remove bolt #30 that hold the retainer plate #29 to the damper bracket #28. This gives you access to the split ring #27 on the aft side of the fitting. This ring fits into a groove on the shaft and once removed allows the damper bracket #28 to move aft on the shaft. Once you slide the damper bracket aft you will expose the forward split ring #27 that fits into a recess in the front of the damper bracket. Once these two split rings are removed you can slide the shaft with the with the tow-ball head out of the casting. The rubber bumper #26 will be the last piece that comes off when you remove the shaft if it is still there. A word of advice........ Lay all the bits you remove out in the order you remove them as it helps with getting them in the correct order with reassembly. While you have all the bits removed you can also change the rubber concertina dust boot on the front of the shaft. Reassembly is in the reverse order of removal. I put a bit of grease on bits during reassembly as it helps prevent water getting in and corroding them. It is important to fit the tab-washer #31 to bolt #30 as this little bolt keeps all the important bits in the correct place.
    Hope this helps with your problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

I had a similar problem and fitted a new shock and rubber. Even with a new shock I found that the bump at pull away was still there. Checked with Alko and rubber must be fitted to damper at pull away. I had mistakenly thought it needs the rubber in position when braking and Alko say only one rubber needs to be fitted. Took it apart moved the position of the rubber and bingo / sorted.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

I have attached the diagram showing the breakdown of the components making up the coupler assembly.
    The shock is item #33 and the rubber bumper is item #26 on the diagram.
    You have to remove the shock to be able to change the rubber bumper so I'd change the two together. I have done it with the hitch assembly removed from the caravan as I didn't feel like fighting with it while lying under the hitch. Once you have removed the hitch assembly you can turn it over on a workbench and get to everything easily. I disconnected the brake system without fiddling with the adjustment by removing the pin that attaches the rod to the lever mechanism.
    With the shock remover you then need to remove bolt #30 that hold the retainer plate #29 to the damper bracket #28. This gives you access to the split ring #27 on the aft side of the fitting. This ring fits into a groove on the shaft and once removed allows the damper bracket #28 to move aft on the shaft. Once you slide the damper bracket aft you will expose the forward split ring #27 that fits into a recess in the front of the damper bracket. Once these two split rings are removed you can slide the shaft with the with the tow-ball head out of the casting. The rubber bumper #26 will be the last piece that comes off when you remove the shaft if it is still there. A word of advice........ Lay all the bits you remove out in the order you remove them as it helps with getting them in the correct order with reassembly. While you have all the bits removed you can also change the rubber concertina dust boot on the front of the shaft. Reassembly is in the reverse order of removal. I put a bit of grease on bits during reassembly as it helps prevent water getting in and corroding them. It is important to fit the tab-washer #31 to bolt #30 as this little bolt keeps all the important bits in the correct place.
    Hope this helps with your problem.
    Many thanks, that is very helpful! The hitch is a very complex piece of engineering!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    Many thanks, that is very helpful! The hitch is a very complex piece of engineering!
    With the diagram I posted and the explanation you shouldn't have a problem replacing the bumper rubber. A friend of mine found the specification for checking if the shock absorber is still okay. I'll check with him for the info and pass it along.
    You should be able to check in underneath the hitch assembly to see if the rubber bump stop is still in place.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

With the diagram I posted and the explanation you shouldn't have a problem replacing the bumper rubber. A friend of mine found the specification for checking if the shock absorber is still okay. I'll check with him for the info and pass it along.
    You should be able to check in underneath the hitch assembly to see if the rubber bump stop is still in place.
    If it's not, I may have to fabricate one. I am thinking a piece of conveyor belt cut to shape may work.
    We are very remote and with borders closed it will be a challenge to get one.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

It looks like the rubber stop is missing! The bolt holding the damper was also very loose, just caught in time. Maybe as a result of the jarring?
    I have an idea I can take a piece of conveyor belt and cut a rubber stop to size. Should work as a temporary solution until I can get to a place to get it serviced properly?
    The damper, is there a quick way to test it? If you compress it (by hand) , what sort of compression in cm should it allow?
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    It looks like the rubber stop is missing! The bolt holding the damper was also very loose, just caught in time. Maybe as a result of the jarring?
    I have an idea I can take a piece of conveyor belt and cut a rubber stop to size. Should work as a temporary solution until I can get to a place to get it serviced properly?
    The damper, is there a quick way to test it? If you compress it (by hand) , what sort of compression in cm should it allow?
    It can compressed fully in but shouldn't go easy.
    You have to push hard to compress it.
    If it goes easy, the damper is not working properly.
    Also the damper should slowly return to it's position.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rmrigter For This Useful Post: