Defender 130 Overlander build - Page 4

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Defender 130 Overlander build

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Please post pictures IanT.

Im also undecided about a fridge in between the front seats. My plan is to hopefully have our 52lt out the side and maybe an 80 or 90ltr in the far back..........

I am however thinking about changing the canopy also as I dont think its the best quality compared to other brands I have seen - tbh Im a bit disappointed in it.
    2 things,

1.I use a small coleman cooler with insulation between it and the floor between the front seats, works brilliantly with a bit of ice and it kept all the cool drinks and water ice cold from Pta to Moz last Dec.

2nd thing, I might be interested in your canopy should you want to sell, please PM me

D
    D90
    D130

Will let you know what I decide.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Fridges between seats.

I have seen one Defender with an Indel B 26 litre fridge between the front seats, replacing the centre cubby. It was a near perfect fit, takes 2 x wine bottles or large coke bottles upright and has a useful capacity. Comfortable armrest too.

Another was a 110 double cab, so same interior as the 130 DC. He had an Engel 40 litre on the centre rear bench. It is narrow enough to fit easily within the size of the centre seat space. Again, it fits fine and leaves ample space either side for full size people to occupy the other seats each side.

Just to give you some more ideas. Useful to have something within reach inside for when driving, or parked near wildlife when you really would rather not get out to get to the back.
    Regards, Brian

Range Rover Classic 3.9
    Freelander I TD4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:

Please post pictures IanT.

Im also undecided about a fridge in between the front seats. My plan is to hopefully have our 52lt out the side and maybe an 80 or 90ltr in the far back..........

I am however thinking about changing the canopy also as I dont think its the best quality compared to other brands I have seen - tbh Im a bit disappointed in it.
    Not sure what you mean by "... in the far back", but I would place the fridge as far forward as possible (on the load bin), hopefully in front of the rear axle. That will reduce beer breakages on bad roads.

The bigger fridge will be more or less over the rear axle on a slide to be accessed from the rear of the vehicle. Im hoping to fit the 52ltr twin more or less like in the below pic using a drop down slide
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Such a nice landy!!

You should follow Andrew St Pierre whites double cab build, some nice tips. Although, in my opinion, yours will be better, because its a 130, and 130s are just better. Such an amazing vehicle. Theres another couple on YouTube, i think its called grizzly and bear overland, they also have some nice tricks, their 130 is a dream.

Subscribed! Have fun with it!

P.s I highly recommend the stripping of the interior, seal all joints and fit a nice sound deadening material. Makes a huge difference inside there the cab and helps with dust ingress! I finally have zero dust ingress in my defender, a big difference on the long dust roads!

Thank you.

yes I follow subscribe to grizzlynbear already. Their 130 is the ultimate but I canít seem to find a camper like thereís her in SA. May have to drive to Europe one day to get one

I stripped out my 110 puma when it was new and sealed all the joins and also fitted the newer lower door rubbers. Made a huge difference. Will be doing this one this weekend.

A question on suspension. What have you guys done? Have you left the smaller rear helper springs in for example?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Thank you.

yes I follow subscribe to grizzlynbear already. Their 130 is the ultimate but I canít seem to find a camper like thereís her in SA. May have to drive to Europe one day to get one

I stripped out my 110 puma when it was new and sealed all the joins and also fitted the newer lower door rubbers. Made a huge difference. Will be doing this one this weekend.

A question on suspension. What have you guys done? Have you left the smaller rear helper springs in for example?
    Do not remove the smaller load springs. You get an airbag that fits inside them.

If you rwmove the inner spring the 130 will sag when kitted
    DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY NEW THINGS - AFTERALL THE TITANIC WAS BUILT BY PROFESSIONALS, THE ARK BY AMATEURS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to obotha For This Useful Post:

I had a look at these for my Unimog, they are very well made though, and full support/supply in SA

https://www.palominorv.co.za/
    D90
    D130

13. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

A few small jobs done today.
    - fitted seat extension rails
    - rerouted the tmax dual battery display
    - resealed the entire canopy
    - fitted a double jerry can holder
    - fitted door extenders to the rear doors to allow them to open to 90 deg
    - fitted a bash plate
    - removes the impeller thing in the air box for better air flow
    - adjusted all the doors so they close properly

I’ve also ordered new door rubbers, new style rubbers for the bottom of the doors, steering and steering boss and a bunch of other small things. I didn’t start with sealing the cab as I am going to sound proof it, so will do it all at once when I get the bits I need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79C5725A-F793-4B28-A4A4-DFCC062B26AC.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	572662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	97EC5546-F286-4F6D-AF13-697C1CBC6B6E.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	572663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9AD5B5CF-5B9D-443C-8EFF-026DAAF5DB20.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	572664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8C7A575D-F1B0-48D1-9CB3-F78EDE288857.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	572665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	582E94E1-C986-4708-9FE8-5B83E8FFD28C.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	572666  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/05/26 at 04:28 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Started working on the kitchen. Cleaned and resprayed the inside and started cutting carpet to size. Need supplies so I’m stuck here.

picture of before and after. (Work in progress)

Name:	1A2EF457-0AA3-41E3-8D61-D7AEAA5F4455.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	572792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	690E1CE6-08C4-4C64-BB58-B271829FA770.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	572844  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/05/25 at 08:39 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Thank you.

yes I follow subscribe to grizzlynbear already. Their 130 is the ultimate but I can’t seem to find a camper like there’s her in SA. May have to drive to Europe one day to get one

If I remember correctly they bought theirs from this company:

https://fourwheelcampers.com/all-mod...truck-campers/

Although I don't see the model there.
    Last edited by jfh; 2020/05/24 at 02:52 PM.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind≤)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Jeez have you seen the pricing? By the time it lands itís close to the price of the Defender 😂

they are nice though
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

jfh

Uncle Bruce

Give us your overall idea

i.e - a wam bam thk you mam setup

a 2 day setup with everything in its place

or a duer mekaar do everything kind of setup

or driven by your past needs and experience

Uncle? I’m not that old yet

im a lazy camper and I overland more to explore than to set up camp so I want a setup that’s ready in 5mins.

Right now I’m thinking of using a hard shell roof top tent - Ezziawn have some nice options. Ultimately I would like something like GrizzelyNBear but pricing is making that option just a dream. Only negative I see with their setup, apart from possibly the weight is when traveling on narrow tracks in African bush - its a wide setup.

So for now, while I decide, I’m improving everything I have already and spending the time and money on the vehicle itself. So for example, suspension, tyres, possibly lockers, and things like renewing bearings, brakes, bushes and everything else that wears out. I will also upgrade a lot of stuff also and do things like sound deadening and sealing everything, which I’ve already started.

As I say, no 100% set direction, just having fun for now and hoping for some good ideas from members here.

Ultimately I would like something I could live out of - whether that happens or not is a different story.

Below grey 130 is probably where I will end up first. The other two are pictures of BearNgrizzly

ps. I’m thinking of try to do a YouTube channel on the build and then trips also. What do you guys think? stupid?
    I will have to learn video editing also and I maybe useless at presenting but I won’t know until I try.

Name:	6E019A67-E5FF-48A4-8A3F-F2FA6334A3F2.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	572825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8DA37536-3B1A-492C-85DC-F7D4BCA2C2B6.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	572826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3139519-A42B-4DC0-BDA6-96C363252D60.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	572827  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/05/24 at 05:55 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Bruce dont forget the engine mods
    Is yours 2.2 or 2.4? If 2011 2.4:
    1. Check that recall on axle flanges has been done.
    2. Replace expansion tank cap regularly.
    3. Add fan spacer.
    4. Check boost pipe clears steering shaft and UJ.
    5. Replace intercooler, spend the money and get Allisport or BAS. Makes a massive difference.
    6. Unplug EGR. Actually, consider blanking on the exhaust manifold and disconnecting the cooler all together. Bosvark KZN recently lost his motor due to EGR cooler failing and pouring water into the intake manifold.
    7. Check that the turbo actuator harness has sufficient play.
    8. If the clutch pedal squeaks spray liquid grease on linkages in pedal box.
    9. Consider decat if not already done. Just remove internals.
    10. Madman, Ultragauge or similar.
    11. Remove center silencer.
    12. Consider an additional diesel filter with built in primer. Racor makes a nice one.

This applies to the 2.4, i know this engine quite well by now . Let me know if you need a hand, always willing to help install etc. Im just down the road (Fourways Gardens).

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

Thanks Claude. Didnt know about the EGR cooler. Thank you
    Mine is a 2.4. Same exact model as my old 110. (2011)
    will obviously be doing the rest as was done on my 110. Already spoken to Uncle Peter. Just need to sort out a turbo seal which I can hear blowing slightly, one door is not locking with the central locking and passenger front window is not opening and closing smoothly. Dealership is going to sort all this out as well as fit tyres for me.

clutch thankfully doesn’t squeak but if anyone has this problem a grease nipple can be fitted on the engine side to stop this. Did it on my 110.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/05/24 at 07:57 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Thanks Claude. Didnt know about the EGR cooler. Thank you
    Mine is a 2.4. Same exact model as my old 110. (2011)
    will obviously be doing the rest as was done on my 110. Already spoken to Uncle Peter. Just need to sort out a turbo seal which I can hear blowing slightly, one door is not locking with the central locking and passenger front window is not opening and closing smoothly. Dealership is going to sort all this out as well as fit tyres for me.

clutch thankfully doesnít squeak but if anyone has this problem a grease nipple can be fitted on the engine side to stop this. Did it on my 110.
    Bruce on the door that is not locking, check the wires in the tube between the door and B pillar, almost guaranteed its broken.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClaudeG For This Useful Post:

Bruce,

Whatever you do, do not paint the chequer plate if you want it black. There is a chemical process to blacken aluminium used by many old vehicle restorers to colour mag wheels where guys want black in recesses and polished outer surfaces. It wears much better than paint, as it does not scratch easily. It is also cheap and easy to do (or redo) yourself at home.

See attached
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    BAS remap
    Slickshift

For the reverse camera, get it done by replacing the rear-view mirror, it took me 10 years to move away from those silly pop-up screens and now I don't know how I ever lived with that.

The auto electrician installed this for me, he has the same in his 130 camper: http://bestech.co.za/portfolio/reverse-safely/
    Also take a look at DEFENDERUPGRADES.CO.UK http://defenderupgrades.co.uk/produc...r-monitor-kit/
    They do a reverse cam that replaces the original rear view mirror and even uses the original mounting(3 machine screws) and looks like OEM equipment. Think it was 165 GBP. Very good quality and easy to install yourself. I put one on my 130 and I'm very happy with it. You can also calibrate the guidelines to suit your vehicle. PM me for pics of the install.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to VARKIE For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast