TD5 blowby? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TD5 blowby?

Default Re: TD5 blowby?

Quote Originally Posted by saffaoverland View Post
    Thanks for your advice guys. Will contact overlandworx/landyworx when they are open. I am starting to agree that I would rather leave the job to the professionals haha.
    Good idea.

Yes but because I overheated it's caused damaged to the internals.
    Overheating doesn't typically damage the sub assembly, normally a new head gasket and perhaps replacement head is required.

A good indy will give you good advice.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

My TD5 Defender 130 has just passed the 300 000 km mark and its going like a bomb no problems ...

... but Ive already decided that for any major block job / engine rebuild
    required etc I would change to the simpler more basic 300TDi ... and so also including getting rid of of the DMS Flywheel etc if thats possible and practical... but keeping the rest of downstream drive train etc
    The TD5 is great and I love it but Id also be happy to avoid big cost by travelling a bit slower etc (!) but with much greater simplicity and repairability and maintenance etc
    as far as the motor goes.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/05/09 at 11:29 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    If there is a leak in the cooler the fluid transfer will be from the system with the higher pressure to the lower so you should get oil in the cooling fluid. When oil is mixed with the water/coolant it will become a grey to brown foaming mess that you will see on the dipstick and in the oil cap. If you are seeing any signs of oil and water being mixed, I doubt the problem was correctly diagnosed. That is why I and others have suggested that you get a second opinion from a reputable workshop before you spend a lot of money for nothing.
    That is what I was waiting for. Somebody who knows a lot more about it than I do.

I can't think of a scenario where cylinder head failure would cause blowby in a Td5, head GASKET failure, possibly, but not the head.

I'd get a second opinion, as suggested.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

A pressure test on the cooling system will tell you if there are external leaks in the system normally. The correct test to check if you have a leaking head gasket is where a sample of the coolant is tested for traces of combustion gasses by adding a chemical that reacts with the contamination. This changes the colour of the sample for a visual indication. It's a quick and easy test that should be done at the same time as a pressure test.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

A pressure test on the cooling system will tell you if there are external leaks in the system normally. The correct test to check if you have a leaking head gasket is where a sample of the coolant is tested for traces of combustion gasses by adding a chemical that reacts with the contamination. This changes the colour of the sample for a visual indication. It's a quick and easy test that should be done at the same time as a pressure test.
    I did that test on Thursday, see photos below. Came up showing head gasket failure although very minor from the number of bubbles coming through.

I will take it to someone on Monday to do a pressure test through the glow plugs, even though only 80% accurate. Well get the second maybe even a third opinion and report back to your next week. For the mean time I will try stop crying

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I can't think of a scenario where cylinder head failure would cause blowby in a Td5, head GASKET failure, possibly, but not the head.

Interesting, so you say the head is causing the blow by? If so that makes me a little bit more relaxed knowing that all that's need is a new head and gaskets. MUCH cheaper than a complete rebuild. But let me get those opinions from the landie. Thanks everyone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3487.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	570837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3493.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	570838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3494.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	570839  
    Land Rover
    Defender 110
    TD5
    @saffaoverland

196,942km

Very interesting. This could save me so much, thank you.

I could do a compression test however the mechanic was worried about breaking the glow plugs into the engine, and the test can only be 80% accurate as it only tests 4 of 5 cylinders. But probably worth getting the compression test done to be sure.

I agree with not doing a half job, want the engine to last a long time. Just weighing up options and peoples opinions
    ONE LIFE!

May I ask a question not to hack the thread?
    I just want to know with 4 glowplugs on a 5 cylinder engine, in which cylinders do the port into? Dont the just sit in between the cyclinders in the block? If not which cylinder does not have a glowplug port?

Sorry just wondering.

Thanx
    ONE LIFE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkyker View Post
    May I ask a question not to hack the thread?
    I just want to know with 4 glowplugs on a 5 cylinder engine, in which cylinders do the port into? Dont the just sit in between the cyclinders in the block? If not which cylinder does not have a glowplug port?

Sorry just wondering.

Thanx
    Nr 5 cylinder doesn't have one.
    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1959 SII 88"
    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

severe overheating CAN cause the compression rings to collapse, and then you'll get some blow-by
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    Not really. I am not a mechanic but there is a cooler that corrodes inside the coolant system. When it develops a small leak it puts oil in the coolant system and obviously pressurises the coolant system causing blowback. That is about the best I can do
    Blowby is excess pressure in the crankcase of the engine that is usually caused by worn rings or worn out piston/ring/cylinders.

Oil in the coolant wil cause your radiator and coolant expansion to become gunked up with oil, and could possibly result in some expansion of the radiator. Excess pressure in the cooling system is usually purged by the radiator cap or expansion tank cap.
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Ek het nou klaar gewerk, maar ek weet nie of die bank daarvan gaan hou nie...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dewets For This Useful Post:

Done loads of heads jobs on these td5s, get the head off and it all be clear what went wrong, the bubbles indicate a moderate blow, not the worst by a longshot, heads can be skimmed if not excessive, a good engineering company will advise the way forward
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to viperover For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    severe overheating CAN cause the compression rings to collapse, and then you'll get some blow-by
    I think I have been at cross purposes in this thread, jelo.
    I read blowby as pressurisation of the crankcase, but it is actually pressurising the cooling system, which points to the head gasket as main culprit.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

I think I have been at cross purposes in this thread, jelo.
    I read blowby as pressurisation of the crankcase, but it is actually pressurising the cooling system, which points to the head gasket as main culprit.
    Blow-by is when the compressed gas above the piston gets past the rings and causes excessive pressure in the crankcase and breather system.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Listen to Paul. I'm done.
    Percivamus

Blow PAST. Not blow BY.
    Quote Originally Posted by viperover View Post
    Done loads of heads jobs on these td5s, get the head off and it all be clear what went wrong, the bubbles indicate a moderate blow, not the worst by a longshot, heads can be skimmed if not excessive, a good engineering company will advise the way forward
    Percivamus

Blow-by is when the compressed gas above the piston gets past the rings and causes excessive pressure in the crankcase and breather system.
    I didn't explain myself well, Paul. Blowby is exactly as you describe it, but the OP's question is about cooling system pressurising.
    Listen to Paul. I'm done.
    chill, pops, we're on the same page.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Right gents, taken a while but I had some checks and quotes done. Here is the summary:

Landyworx/overlandworx had a brief look and quick drive. Power on high revs is lower than what it should be which indicated blow-by, and they weren't happy with the sump pressurisation. They recommended a FULL engine rebuild, and not just replacing the parts that are in question as a few months down the line other issues might occur. Don't mind the full engine rebuild, means a "new" engine. However I am not happy with the costs. Landyworx roughly quote R80k for them to do the complete job, and they also said Welle Engineering down the road will do the engine work anyway. So I thought to reduce costs I could remove the engine and take it in the bakkie to Welle. They have done a quote for an engine rebuild including parts however have included new turbo, injectors etc which I won't be replacing. Injectors are fine.

So total for Welle is R24k on labour and R15k on parts, so R42k in total when I include new turbo and manifold gaskets, radiator check etc. I haven't included potential new fly wheel/clutch which could be needed. New water pump will go in, will service alternator and oil pump (expensive item).

Questions going forward:

1) They have quoted R9k for engine reassembly. I need to someone to tell me I would be a fricking idiot to attempt the engine rebuild myself after they have done all the checks and measuring and I should suck it up and pay the extra R9k... thoughts? I would love to build it back up myself not only for the money but also because it would be really fun

2) Can someone recommend any other engineering shop that can do a rebuild please? Would like to get comparative quotes.

3) General thoughts, what route would you guys take?

4) Will get a parts quote from Dover, LP4A, British 4x4, Leimers and Landyworx themselve. Any other stores I can contact? Maybe ship from overseas like bearmach etc?

Much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Land Rover
    Defender 110
    TD5
    @saffaoverland

No, put it together yourself and then when you stuff it up with upside down rings or incorrectly placed crank end play shims and go cry to Welle, please post the response.........

- do you have a set of micrometers and know how to use them?
    - have you used plastigauges before?
    - do you have a properly calibrated torque wrench?
    - do you have a decent ring compressor?
    - do you have a complete workshop manual?
    - do you have a full set of metric and imperial ring and socket spanners?
    - and I could go on for a while

Go buy that stuff and see whether you can even get close to R9k.

Lastly, contact Remtec.

https://remtec.co.za/
    Percivamus

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

No, put it together yourself and then when you stuff it up with upside down rings or incorrectly placed crank end play shims and go cry to Welle, please post the response.........

- do you have a set of micrometers and know how to use them?
    - have you used plastigauges before?
    - do you have a properly calibrated torque wrench?
    - do you have a decent ring compressor?
    - do you have a complete workshop manual?
    - do you have a full set of metric and imperial ring and socket spanners?
    - and I could go on for a while

Go buy that stuff and see whether you can even get close to R9k.

Lastly, contact Remtec.

https://remtec.co.za/
    I've got most of it but I get your point

I have contacted Remtec and the quote was very similar. Thanks
    Land Rover
    Defender 110
    TD5
    @saffaoverland

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast