WRND DC to DC Charger

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default WRND DC to DC Charger

As I had used a WRND DC-DC charger in my previous trailer with success, I bought another from them directly in June 2019.

In November 2019 we embarked on our first trip to Mkuze game reserve. On our arrival at the campsite I discovered that my batteries had not been charged and the low battery level cut out on the fridge had been activated. I attempted to connect the solar panel without success. I discovered that fuse # 2 had blown and replaced it but it made no difference, the charger unit was dead. I managed to battle through with the limited 220v power supplied by the campsite. The DC-DC part still did not work on our return trip. On my return I contacted them and, after an initial response from them when they asked me to return the unit, I heard nothing further from them despite sending them numerous e-mails, Whatsapps, SMSís and phone messages. Eventually in January 2020 they finally responded and sent a replacement unit.

I installed the replacement unit and again tested it with both the vehicle and the solar panel and all appeared to be in order. On the 22/02/20 we left for Mokala Nature reserve and stopped off in Senekal to overnight. The vehicle had kept the batteries charged and the fridge was running perfectly. The campsite in Senekal had 220v power and I connected up for the night. The next morning I hitched up and plugged the vehicle into the trailer. On our arrival at Mokala I was dismayed to find that the vehicle had not charged the batteries and the fridge had turned off due to the batteries having a low charge. On examination I found that fuse #2 had again blown the same as had occurred with the first controller. I replaced the fuse with a new 30amp fuse and, as there is no electricity at Mokala, I connected the solar panel to recharge the batteries but the unit was again dead. Luckily on this trip I had taken a spare solar controller with which I managed to wire up and which kept the batteries fully charged. This saved our holiday otherwise we would have had no fridge or lights. On the 2 day trip home the controller seemed to keep the batteries charged. On my return on the 29/2 I checked that the solar panel was still charging using the standby solar controller and then rewired their controller to the solar panel and it was still not working. Both fuses were OK. I e-mailed them on the 4/3/20 and received no response. I continued to try and contact them via numerous e-mails, Whatsapps, SMSís and phone messages without success.

As the unit has a 2 year warranty and after 9 months and 2 trips it had never worked properly I asked for a refund and have never heard from them since. This together with the serious concerns that I have about being able to contact them or the owner Wean de Wet has caused me to have lost all confidence in their product and their service.

Default Re: WRND DC to DC Charger

You might have some wiring issues from the main power (alternator) which blows the units. I have two WRND units, one in the trailer and one on the towing vehicle. Have been working flawlessly for two years. Why are the fuses blowing?
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Hi John,

Are you absolutely sure your installation is sound, that it complies 100% to the installation guide provided.

I use two WRND controllers, one in each vehicle and they are superb in both DC-DC and solar function.

The only hassle I had was with the FJ when we did hours of slow lowrange crawling in high 30 degrees celsius, however this I do not contribute to the unit, I installed the unit in the engine bay and it got seriously hot in there, hence the system disconnected due to excessive heat.

My experience is only positive with the WRND controller. In the Hilux where it is installed in the canopy area it functions flawlessly.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

I have also had zero issue with my WRND on my battery pack...
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

The installation is exactly the same as it was for the previous WRND DC-DC controller that I sold with my old trailer which also worked perfectly. When I installed the new controller it worked when first tested but seems to fail on an extended trip. I am confident that the installation is correct or else it would not have worked when tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    You might have some wiring issues from the main power (alternator) which blows the units. I have two WRND units, one in the trailer and one on the towing vehicle. Have been working flawlessly for two years. Why are the fuses blowing?
    The reason for the fuses blowing was one of the things that I asked them and never received a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    I have also had zero issue with my WRND on my battery pack...
    I also had no issues with the previous WRND controller that had the screw terminals, ony problems are after fitting the new type controller.

This model worked fine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old type.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	570693

This model has failed twice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new model.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	570694

Its seems that every time you connect 220v there is a problem?

How is the 220v connected to the system?

Been using a WRND DC-DC for 3 years with no trouble at all. (Alternator and solar inputs)

I never use 220v.

Contact with Wean was never a problem for me.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2020/05/08 at 11:02 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollow View Post
    I also had no issues with the previous WRND controller that had the screw terminals, ony problems are after fitting the new type controller.

I have the "new" one. But that does not discount that there could be faulty units. I have heard of others that got faulty units (although those were faulty from the start) and it was replaced without much issue.
    "Grent" Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Its seems that every time you connect 220v there is a problem?

How is the 220v connected to the system?

Been using a WRND DC-DC for 3 years with no trouble at all. (Alternator and solar inputs)

I never use 220v.

Contact with Wean was never a problem for me.
    220v is connected via a Pro-user 8 intelligent battery charger. It should not be a problem and was not in my last installation. Also the 220v is only connected when there is no solar input at the campsite and never when towing using the alternator input. I have tried to contact Wean via phone, email, SMS and Whatsapp and he never responds.
    Last edited by John Hollow; 2020/05/08 at 12:33 PM.

Default WRND DC to DC Charger

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollow View Post
    The campsite in Senekal had 220v power and I connected up for the night. The next morning I hitched up and plugged the vehicle into the trailer. On our arrival at Mokala I was dismayed to find that the vehicle had not charged the batteries and the fridge had turned off due to the batteries having a low charge. On examination I found that fuse #2 had again blown the same as had occurred with the first controller.
    Your experience is exactly why Iíve moved away from combo units (dc-dc + solar), rather have two separate units and know that youíll always have a backup when one side fail
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2020/05/08 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Your experience is exactly why Iíve moved away from combo units (dc-dc + solar), rather have two separate units and know that youíll always have a backup when one side fail
    Luckily on the last trip I had taken with a separate solar controller that I wired up to charge the batteries.

Mmmmmmm... interesting.

During our last bout of loadshedding, I brought my battery box with WRND connected inside and use the battery to power an inverter, which was kept on charge by a 7A charger (not enough I know, but all I had at the time).

When I wanted to put it back in the car, realised that the DC-DC is not working. No idea why. No idea what happened.

As we we had already planned a trip, I ordered another ASAP and have the old one still with me. I wonder if is related at all.

Up til then, it would perfectly? Could I have damaged it by using the battery inside but not having disconnected the WRND before connecting the charger and inverter?
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Mmmmmmm... interesting.

During our last bout of loadshedding, I brought my battery box with WRND connected inside and use the battery to power an inverter, which was kept on charge by a 7A charger (not enough I know, but all I had at the time).

When I wanted to put it back in the car, realised that the DC-DC is not working. No idea why. No idea what happened.

As we we had already planned a trip, I ordered another ASAP and have the old one still with me. I wonder if is related at all.

Up til then, it would perfectly? Could I have damaged it by using the battery inside but not having disconnected the WRND before connecting the charger and inverter?

Looks like I'll have to check mine out as well.

This is my setup: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-up?highlight=

My battery pack is permanently on a Ctek 3.8 as trickle charger...
    "Grent" Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    This is my setup: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-up?highlight=

My battery pack is permanently on a Ctek 3.8 as trickle charger...
    Same here, permanently on a Vicrton smart charger and no problems.

I also have got two of the newer DC-DC chargers and they work great.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Back to OP.

I would investigate the wiring first just to make 100% sure of my set up.
    Not getting a response when contacting the manufacturer on a new product that has failed is a concern indeed.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Back to OP.

I would investigate the wiring first just to make 100% sure of my set up.
    Not getting a response when contacting the manufacturer on a new product that has failed is a concern indeed.
    I rechecked all the wiring after the first one failed. When I installed the second one I again checked everything. After installing I connected the solar panel and used it for a day to charge the battery's while the fridge was running. The next day I disconnected the solar panel and connected to the vehicle to check that it was charging from the alternator. I ran it for about 20 minutes and all was OK. It seems to fail when connected for several hours to the alternator. Problem is I cannot get a response from the manufacturer to discuss the problem and now want a refund under the 2 year warranty as I have bought a Ctek charger to replace it.
    Last edited by John Hollow; 2020/05/08 at 04:14 PM.

My first (new model) WRND also failed after used twice, failed second day of 16day overland trip. Luckily had a Victron Solar MPPT as spare and could complete the trip with cold fridge and freezer. 4x4Direct replaced the unit without questions but since then (July 2019) Iíve not installed it as the Victron still does the duty. Want to install it again but with brad harison plugs for quick replacement this time...bit more flexibility (if needed again).
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast