WRND Electronics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WRND Electronics

As I had used a WRND DC-DC charger in my previous trailer with success, I bought another from them directly in June 2019.
    In November 2019 we embarked on our first trip to Mkuze game reserve. On our arrival at the campsite I discovered that my batteries had not been charged and the low battery level cut out on the fridge had been activated. I attempted to connect the solar panel without success. I discovered that fuse # 2 had blown and replaced it but it made no difference, the charger unit was dead. I managed to battle through with the limited 220v power supplied by the campsite. The DC-DC part still did not work on our return trip. On my return I contacted them and, after an initial response from them when they asked me to return the unit, I heard nothing further from them despite sending them numerous e-mails, Whatsapps, SMSís and phone messages. Eventually in January 2020 they finally responded and sent a replacement unit.
    I installed the replacement unit and again tested it with both the vehicle and the solar panel and all appeared to be in order. On the 22/02/20 we left for Mokala Nature reserve and stopped off in Senekal to overnight. The vehicle had kept the batteries charged and the fridge was running perfectly. The campsite in Senekal had 220v power and I connected up for the night. The next morning I hitched up and plugged the vehicle into the trailer. On our arrival at Mokala I was dismayed to find that the vehicle had not charged the batteries and the fridge had turned off due to the batteries having a low charge. On examination I found that fuse #2 had again blown the same as had occurred with the first controller. I replaced the fuse with a new 30amp fuse and, as there is no electricity at Mokala, I connected the solar panel to recharge the batteries but the unit was again dead. Luckily on this trip I had taken a spare solar controller with which I managed to wire up and which kept the batteries fully charged. This saved our holiday otherwise we would have had no fridge or lights. On the 2 day trip home the controller seemed to keep the batteries charged. On my return on the 29/2 I checked that the solar panel was still charging using the standby solar controller and then rewired their controller to the solar panel and it was still not working. Both fuses were OK. I e-mailed them on the 4/3/20 and received no response. I continued to try and contact them via numerous e-mails, Whatsapps, SMSís and phone messages without success.
    As the unit has a 2 year warranty and after 9 months and 2 trips it has never worked properly I asked for a refund and have never heard from them since. This together with the serious concerns that I have about being able to contact them or the owner Wean de Wet has caused me to have lost all confidence in their product and their service.

Default Re: WRND Electronics

My BIL has been trying (unsuccessfully) to contact them for the last c2 weeks. He wanted to ask some tech questions about the unit before buying it. The above post might also be an indication to stay away and rather invest in another product...

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell
    '18 Echo Chobe (sold)

I guess we get what we pay for..

On my third unit..never again.

And yes, 4x4 Direct will swop it out no problem, but as for the manufacturer, their is no back up service at all!!
    Last edited by Kaptein Jack; 2020/05/09 at 11:03 AM.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Just an update to my original post. After all my chasing I finally received a full refund from WRND. Points to them for finally coming through.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John Hollow For This Useful Post:

Morning Guys.

I have just ordered a product from them.

HOPE I HAVEN'T MADE A MISTAKE. GOSH??

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

mine has been in the car for a year now, no hassle.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

My WRND has been fitted for more than a year and is still performing fine. It once blew a fuse that impacted the alternator charging but I could've caused it since I was plugging and unplugging the PV panels at the time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nicom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ohalloran View Post
    Morning Guys.

Dave
    Been very happy with mine...
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

I have had one in my offroad caravan for about 18 - 24 months now and my son in his for about a year now. We have had no problems.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Just a casual note about solar panels. On some overland trips i noticed that some folk were simply plugging and unplugging solar panels without turning and shielding the panel itself from the sun. Read a few references that the unconnected panels must be loadless or lowly loaded in energy before exposing them to sun.

Got into the habit of facing them down or putting a towel over before disconnecting or connecting and have kept to this sequence forever. Have not seen problems when this was not done but read of lots of issues with damaged equipment and blown fuses. Just saying.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Morning Guys.

Dave
    I have two of them and I'm very happy with mine.
    They work extremely well.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the heads up.

Product is on its way.

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Which model are you getting? I have the 1220B and am very happy with it.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by petewill View Post
    Which model are you getting? I have the 1220B and am very happy with it.
    They only have 1 model.

The alternator charging on mine stopped working. I also have two friend who's had troubles with it, so I decided to just change with something else.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Interesting reply from MVCOLLER in topic WRND DC TO DC when a 3rd source like 220V charging is added and causes the main battery to be discharged.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    The alternator charging on mine stopped working. I also have two friend who's had troubles with it, so I decided to just change with something else.
    Morning All

Well I received the Inverter, (1500w Pure sine wave ) and yes you guest it. Not working, Went on, the Ice machine started to run and second or two later poof. All switched off.

Opened up and found one of the 4 40A fuses blown.

The Ice machine only draws at max 600w, so it is on it's way back.

Tell me is this product Locally made, as I see in some off road trailers they use the WRND Products.

Regards

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Morning All

Well I received the Inverter, (1500w Pure sine wave ) and yes you guest it. Not working, Went on, the Ice machine started to run and second or two later poof. All switched off.

Opened up and found one of the 4 40A fuses blown.

The Ice machine only draws at max 600w, so it is on it's way back.

Tell me is this product Locally made, as I see in some off road trailers they use the WRND Products.

Regards

Dave
    It is locally made yes. "Not working" is a bit unfair.... a fuse blew....... it sounds to me like it is working exactly as it should. I would never expect an inverter to run an ice maker, the startup current is pretty huge. Did you use the inverter for something more appropriate before declaring its "not working"? A TV perhaps, or a laptop charger.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    It is locally made yes. "Not working" is a bit unfair.... a fuse blew....... it sounds to me like it is working exactly as it should. I would never expect an inverter to run an ice maker, the startup current is pretty huge. Did you use the inverter for something more appropriate before declaring its "not working"? A TV perhaps, or a laptop charger.
    HI

Yes I tested it out on My Hand Drill charger and worked Fine.

According to National Luna the Ice machine it is recommend that one use a 1000w inverter to run the Ice machine.

Anyway we shall see what they say when they get it back.

Also you pay for what you get. MAybe should have gone for a Victron 12/1200 VA

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast