Pressure washer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressure washer

Default Pressure washer

Hi,

I currently have a small Bosch pressure washer. It has a 1100W motor and 60 Bar continuous pressure delivery.

I am considering to buy a new pressure washer with higher rating to clean my driveway better (the small unit does not get the bricks as clean) and also to clean my top floor windows from ground level, with no ladder needed.

I have seen a Bennett Read model with 2000W motor and max pressure of 150 Bar.

Will this be an overkill in terms of capacity?

Any experience with the Bennet Read brand?

For the same money, I can get a Karcher K3 (1600W and 120 Bar) unit. The Bennet Read seems like decent machine with a lot of features compared to the Karcher.

Any and all input will be very welcome and much appreciated.
    Currently own: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI A/T 4x4 Double Cab XLT

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)
    Fourth 4x4: 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI 4x4 Manual double cab
    Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual
    Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab
    First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

Default Re: Pressure washer

I bought the Karcher K3 a few years ago and during the lockdpown used it myself (not the maintainence manager) and found it amazing!
    Karcher seems to be the benchmark and inventors of the high pressure cleaners - the Bennett Read machines I have no experience of, but Karcher seems to have a good footprint in SA (read hopefully good service).

I accidentally high pressure hosed my hand cleaning the cars and it took a while for the numbness to disappear.

I used it to clean a heavy woolen carpet, clean the sandstone and wooden deck plus concrete driveway of algae and dirt - worked extremely well.

The ability to add car shampoo into a seperate container makes washing a car really easy (I'm sure all high pressure washers have this ability).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Onematch For This Useful Post:

rmat, the laaities have the small Bennet Reed to wash the offroads with, after 2 years NO hassle, and it is dead quiet.

I recently (last weekend) bought the 2000 Watt Rockwell washer, sommer at the Kooperasie (VKB), if it lasts with a Vrystaat Boer it should do OK with me.
    VERY impressed, it has a 1 litre soap holder, and a very nice adjustable nozzle. I think 170l/minute - think so, just make sure.

Cost is around R 1800 - thereabouts.

But really, so far, VERY happy.

Also comes with a 1 Year no nonsense Guarantee.

I've also been using Rockwell's tyre inflators on the stand for over 2 years now, NO issues.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    The washers mentioned by the OP are in the R2. 5k range

This one will probably be almost ten times that

Google where your closest Karcher shop is and buy direct from them. I bought a K3 full control just before lockdown for R2300. Nice thing about Karcher is that there ir a wide variety of accessories available. I bought a rotating brush and can now easily reach the whole roof of my disco to clean it when standing on the back wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    The washers mentioned by the OP are in the R2. 5k range

This one will probably be almost ten times that
    Yes.
    The price range is around R2500.

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)

Quote Originally Posted by desdrake View Post
    Google where your closest Karcher shop is and buy direct from them. I bought a K3 full control just before lockdown for R2300. Nice thing about Karcher is that there ir a wide variety of accessories available. I bought a rotating brush and can now easily reach the whole roof of my disco to clean it when standing on the back wheel.
    Thank you.

Pretoria has a dealer, but not a Karcher shop.

I have had the Karcher K5 which worked like a bomb . I cleaned the car one day and it would start and the stop a few times and the run fine . I took it in for repairs and they said it`s either the seals passing or the pressure switch . They then phone me and tell me the motor is burnt out which I find impossible as it worked the day before. I ended up buying a Husquvarna at a simmilar price to the Karcher and found the quality to be far superior .I have used Karcher products for the last 20 years but their service center in Milnerton was pathetic, but they actually did me a favour by making me look elswhere and I am very happy with the husquvarna.

I'm in the same boat, my excellent WAP finally gave up after years of abuse and I can't get the spares - the water and oil seals eventually go on all pressure cleaners.
    I am reluctant to get a lower model Karcher as the pumps are plastic and can be a weak link, also heard good things about the cheaper Rockwell for light use.....also check out the Ryobi......IMO you are better off buying in the 4-7k range for moderate use.
    FJC - Just Cruising

When selecting what to buy look at few points:
    - Duty cycle. If it says something like run 10 min and then let cool 10 min and the job takes an hour it doesn't work

- Length of the pressure hose. Can you get extension (they are not cheap)

- Can you get "rotating" head. It shoots out very thin stream and cleans better

- Service and spares. I would not buy anything that has no long standing representation in the country

I bought Kerscher - good size one a bit over 10 years back. It was for roof washing before painting. When that is done it runs 2 to 3 days. If you plan to do something similar buy proper machine. I can only say that spending the money to buy proper cleaner and cleaning the roof properly is worth. We power washed one roof and the house looked like new - no painting required.

I doubt that you will be able to wash windows high up. Pressure cleaner uses small volume of water and the distance range is short.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

I own a petrol driven industrial high pressure cleaner. Bought from Ian Dickie. 200 bar.

If I was going to buy a little electric driven machine, 120 Bar, my first choice would be K'archer. Their showroom in Durban (Westmead) is excellent.
    You can pop into the local K'archer store, buy them at Makro, Game, Builders Warehouse ect.

For home use, stay away from rotating nozzles. It will strip the paint off your car, boat, house walls.
    Just stick with a fan nozzle.

Look for a machine that you can add detergent, degreaser, chemicals ect.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

Thanks.

My current small Bosch also stopped working and leaked a lot of water in the machine.

I replaced one O-ring myself and it is perfect again.

Karcher offers a telescopic extension nozzle, which can extend to 4m. This means you can reach difficult areas, such windows o the top floor.
    Last edited by rmat1985; 2020/05/08 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmat1985 View Post
    Hi,

I currently have a small Bosch pressure washer. It has a 1100W motor and 60 Bar continuous pressure delivery.

I am considering to buy a new pressure washer with higher rating to clean my driveway better (the small unit does not get the bricks as clean) and also to clean my top floor windows from ground level, with no ladder needed.

I have seen a Bennett Read model with 2000W motor and max pressure of 150 Bar.

Will this be an overkill in terms of capacity?

Any experience with the Bennet Read brand?

For the same money, I can get a Karcher K3 (1600W and 120 Bar) unit. The Bennet Read seems like decent machine with a lot of features compared to the Karcher.

Any and all input will be very welcome and much appreciated.

I have been using pressure washers for a very long time.

I have over the years always bought the "specials' from Game/Makro or wherever I could find a cheap deal. This has however always come back to bite me on the ass as they work well for a few months and when you need the damn thing the most, either the motor fails or the water starts running out of the casing.

After this happened again a few months ago, I decided to investigate this more and eventually found out that the smaller machines are air cooled and larger models are water cooled. It was the overall consensus that the water cooled machines (obviously more expensive) last way longer and give better service that the smaller budget machines.
    I then bought a Karcher K4 water-cooled pressure washer and it has been a total joy. This thing can run for hours and stays as cool as a winter morning.

Just my opinion and observation.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metalmachine For This Useful Post:

I'm looking at a smallish petrol engine pressure cleaner.
    What would be the best option up to +- 4K?
    D90
    D130

19. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rodrigues View Post
    I have had the Karcher K5 which worked like a bomb . I cleaned the car one day and it would start and the stop a few times and the run fine . I took it in for repairs and they said it`s either the seals passing or the pressure switch . They then phone me and tell me the motor is burnt out which I find impossible as it worked the day before. I ended up buying a Husquvarna at a simmilar price to the Karcher and found the quality to be far superior .I have used Karcher products for the last 20 years but their service center in Milnerton was pathetic, but they actually did me a favour by making me look elswhere and I am very happy with the husquvarna.
    I bet this was the plastic pump that burst, as I said the cheaper ones are crap, they have the plastic pump housing and it splits when the trigger is released and there is a sudden pressure increase.
    A mate of mine has cable tied the trigger open and it's lasting
    Another decent no frills machine is the Sthil for under R3000.......metal pump!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I bet this was the plastic pump that burst, as I said the cheaper ones are crap, they have the plastic pump housing and it splits when the trigger is released and there is a sudden pressure increase.
    Another decent no frills machine is the Sthil for under R3000.......metal pump!!
    Yes the Husquvarna also has a metal pump.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rodrigues For This Useful Post:

I agree. Stay out of plastic. I was warned about them. Maybe there are some that will last. I think those metal types are brass. Mine is.

The rotating head is handy BUT use it only in right places

Check the motor rating. I have to use 4 mm^2 extension cable, 20 A on DB and 16 A wall box over heats
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Stripped my Karcher K5-700 the other day to replace the capacitor.

The Pistons and seals are worn, Karcher does not stock the spares, so I am importing from the UK.

6.74 pounds excluding shipping and I should be good to go again.
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

27. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

Another decent no frills machine is the Stihl for under R3000.......metal pump!!

I have a Stihl RE98 about 5yrs now. No problems thus far even after fairly extensive use washing walls, eaves & roof for painting, cleaning driveway paving, etc.

Apparently its the pressure pulse in the pump & seals when the trigger is closed that causes most failures. I fitted a remote control receiver inside a waterproof box to an extension lead and switch the hi-pressure washer on/off with a key fob.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RussellF For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast