Anyone with Everest that had Prado 120 Vs before?

Default Anyone with Everest that had Prado 120 Vs before?

Is there anyone with Everest that had a Prado 120 4.0V6 before?

How do you find the Everest after owning the Prado?

Would you advise me to replace the Prado with the Everest?

I'm not sure what to replace the Prado with. The Everest, especially the 3.2 Auto 4x4 seems like good value for money.

I'm just scared to make a mistake. Everyone that sold their 120Prado said that they wish they never did, but that's coming from guys that bought new Hiluxes and newer 150 Prados and LC76s...

Reasons to sell:
    1. Fuel consumption
    2. 200 000km service coming up in 5000km ( est. R20 000 ?? not sure how much )
    3. 2010 model

I do some trials, not a lot and do some sand driving on the family farm and I tow a 800kg camping trailer.

Default Re: Anyone with Everest that had Prado 120 Vs before?

Do you have a price in mind?
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

For Prado R215 - R220 ( Next service cost in 5 000km = between R4500 - R5000 @ JB's Auto )
    For Everest R360 est.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Swerkater For This Useful Post:

Hi Swerkater,

Any replacement for the 120 Prado will have big shoes to fill.

I didn't own the exact vehicle you have and will also be following this tread with interest, to read what the now Everest, ex-120 Prado owners have to say.

I've owned a 150TX D4D and also a 4.0L V6 Fortuner, my brother drives a 150TX V6 and I now have the 3.2 Everest Limited.

The info provided below will be based on the vehicles I've owned above.

The ride quality of the Prado and Everest is on par (Fortuner not great)
    Space, layout and confort of the Prado and Everest is on par (Fortuner feels cramped compared)
    Sand driving, for me the V6 would be the winner (haven't done much with the Everest yet) Diesel Prado was a big disappointment.
    On trails I prefer the Everest, crawling, engine braking, driving modes and flex all impresses me.
    Town driving, petrol pulls away more eager.
    Long distance driving, torque of diesel makes using cruise control and cruising a pleasure.
    Towing, Everest wins hands down, you forget that you are busy towing. I have a 850kg Jurgens XT65B
    Fuel consumption, diesel at least 2km/L improvement over petrol.

Regards,
    Tobie
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TJWM For This Useful Post:

Can I buy the Prado please !!!!!!!!

Hi,

I've owned a 2013 Ranger 3.2 double cab 4x4 XLT and sold it in 2015 to buy a 2009 Prado 120 4.0 V6 VX Auto.

In 2018 I bought a new Ranger 3.2 auto double cab 4x4 XLT again.

Before the 2013 Ranger, I drove a Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4. I am not brand biased, as I have owned a variety of brands and always consider all available options at the time of purchase.

The Ranger is not an Everest, but the 5 cylinder 3.2 is a really nice engine, the auto box of the Ford is also very much refined, and in my opinion much smoother than the auto box of the Prado. When running on cruise control it also doesn't hunt for gears like the Prado 120 is known to do.

I tow a caravan of approximately 1 Ton, not really heavy, but the Ranger handles the weight and towing better than the Prado in my experience. The 3.2 motor paired with the auto box is ideal for towing.

Service levels from Ford has been really good on both my Rangers, build quality on the Ranger is very good and both my Rangers have been problem free.

I have driven a bit of sand, dunes and other trials with both my Rangers and Prado, and I actually prefer the Ranger, except for its departure angle (which should not be an issue with the Everest).

The Prado was a very nice car to own, which I truly enjoyed and it drove extremely solid, but in terms of build quality I would recon the Ranger is at least on par. The Ranger offers more technology, luxuries and features as opposed to the Prado 120, which made the transition back to a bakkie feel like an upgrade, rather than a downgrade. I use a BMW 3-series as my city runner, and I have even missed some of my bakkie's features in the BMW. As an example, if you receive a phone call via bluetooth, the climate control system will temporarily (for the duration of the call) alter itself in order to reduce noise levels and ensure that the call quality is optimal, or the sync 3 system which auto updates via your home, office or other wifi networks, or free map upgrades and being able to select different maps etc.

The fact that I opted for a Ranger again (and I considered a number of options, including the current Fortuner, Prado 150 and Hilux) should also say something, coming from a Prado 120.

The Everest XLT and Limited offers even more features, luxuries and tech than the comparable Ranger models, so the transition should be fairly easy in your case.

On a side note, I have driven quite a bit of mileage in Everest cars as well, and the ride quality in my opinion is at least on par with that of a Prado 120.

Another interesting thing to note is that although the previous Everest was bakkie-based and aimed at competing against the Fortuner, the "new" Everest is aimed to compete with the Prado, but at a lower price point, and it is not a bakkie-based SUV anymore. You cannot really compare an Everest to a Fortuner anymore, as they are too different in a number of ways.

I hope this info helps you to make a more informed decision.
    Last edited by rmat1985; 2020/05/06 at 11:42 PM.
    Currently own: 2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI A/T 4x4 Double Cab XLT

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)
    Fourth 4x4: 2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI 4x4 Manual double cab
    Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual
    Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab
    First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rmat1985 For This Useful Post:

Well I think you got two very good, honest answers sir!
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

Absolute awesome advice from Rmat1985.

Beginning of Feb, just before leaving for work, we test drove the new Everest 2.0 Bi-turbo (SWAMBO says she needs one). No towing involved but I can concur - an awesome vehicle. Pulled up Tygerberg hill without any fuss...nice and nippy in traffic....super quiet and smooth.
    Coming from two previous Ranger 3.2 - my last a Wildtrak being one of the last 3.2 auto's and I promise you the Everest was even quieter and smoother.

No I've never owned a Prado so unfortunately I cannot compare.
    Last edited by Casper...; 2020/05/07 at 10:19 AM.

2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)

Default Re: Anyone with Everest that had Prado 120 V6 before?

Thank you so much guys. Very good info. Opinions are always worth much more if it comes from someone with 1st hand experience.

Now SWAMBO doesn't want me to sell the Prado Something about revamping the kitchen... knocking out walls...

And I have the perfect Everest on my doorstep....

Quote Originally Posted by Grotman-WP View Post
    Can I buy the Prado please !!!!!!!!
    Theres your answer!!
    People love the Prado, my wife would leave me if I were to sell her one

Quote Originally Posted by Swerkater View Post
    SWAMBO doesn't want me to sell the Prado Something about revamping the kitchen... knocking out walls...
    Dilemma solved!
    Say thanks to your wife.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerkater View Post
    Thank you so much guys. Very good info. Opinions are always worth much more if it comes from someone with 1st hand experience.

Now SWAMBO doesn't want me to sell the Prado Something about revamping the kitchen... knocking out walls...

And I have the perfect Everest on my doorstep....
    Take SWAMBO to drive the Everest

Then followed a 2009 Toyota Prado 4.0V6 (Nice car), after which a 2008 Pajero 3.8 V6 SWB followed (which I will forever miss)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rmat1985 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    Absolute awesome advice from Rmat1985.

Beginning of Feb, just before leaving for work, we test drove the new Everest 2.0 Bi-turbo (SWAMBO says she needs one). No towing involved but I can concur - an awesome vehicle. Pulled up Tygerberg hill without any fuss...nice and nippy in traffic....super quiet and smooth.
    Coming from two previous Ranger 3.2 - my last a Wildtrak being one of the last 3.2 auto's and I promise you the Everest was even quieter and smoother.

No I've never owned a Prado so unfortunately I cannot compare.
    I am very curious how the Bi-Turbo will compare with the 3.2, but to scared to go for a proper test drive.
    -Tobie-
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

Quote Originally Posted by rmat1985 View Post
    Take SWAMBO to drive the Everest
    That was the plan. Last time I pitched up with a .... it was a Defender, she didn't want to get into it. A week later I just bought a FJ, but I'm not that brave anymore.

Maybe I should just go to the family farm and shoot something. Maybe someone should start a new thread on how to convince the SWAMBO to buy a new 4x4...

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    I am very curious how the Bi-Turbo will compare with the 3.2, but to scared to go for a proper test drive.
    I found that it had a keener response to throttle input. I left the 'box to it's own devices and I can't remember anything other than it did what it was supposed too...change gears.

How that engine will tow is another story completely, but that is not the reason for the potential purchase. I can promise you, you'll feel the difference instantaneously.
    I to was skeptical until I took for a drive.

2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Audi RS4 (The Delinquent)

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    My wife also prohibited me from test driving the Bi-Turbo Ranger; for obvious reasons
    Last edited by rmat1985; 2020/05/07 at 07:06 PM.

Looks like you got some very good input. I cannot advise on the Everest because I have never owned one, but I have owned a Prado, and I now own a 76. Do not replace your Prado with a a 76 unless you are wanting to do much more serious off road stuff. It is a truck by comparison.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

76 Cruiser was one of my options. I like the more rugged square look.

I don't like the rounded Barbie-cruiser look of the 120, and the running boards make it look like the Arab-cruisers with those mirrors on the bonnet and low profile tyres. So I removed the running boards and it looks much better now - instant lift.

The only 76 Cruiser I would consider, is the 4.5V8, but it's out of budget for me at this stage. And yes, it is much more truck like with the solid axles and leaf springs at the back and '72 Cressida interior.... but I like it.