Remapping





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Remapping

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanked: 17

    Default Remapping

    So while sitting at Forf this morning, doing turbo software, I was told that they will remap the Ranger for me. They, FOMOCO will guarantee a 23Kw and a 90NM increase.

    I'm seriously considering this. For the same price as a plug and play chip getting it done by Ford is a much better option. Only fone print is I can only service it with them.

    I'm still waiting for the wheel KW and torque.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Supercab 4x4

    PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman suspension 70mm lift
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Custom built hunting rack/canopy
    Escape Gear seat covers
    Black Rhino Imperial Rims
    Maxxis Bighorn 764 265/70R17
    Stofpad Bashplate & gearbox plate
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    Gerbers 83L Long Range Tank
    More soon



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,024
    Thanked: 994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barend D View Post
    So while sitting at Forf this morning, doing turbo software, I was told that they will remap the Ranger for me. They, FOMOCO will guarantee a 23Kw and a 90NM increase.

    I'm seriously considering this. For the same price as a plug and play chip getting it done by Ford is a much better option. Only fone print is I can only service it with them.

    I'm still waiting for the wheel KW and torque.
    I would not believe a word they say. NO-ONE can make a guarantee on your motor after mapping. A LOT depends on the exact state of your motor before mapping.
    We have Anthony doing our Discos and there are some pretty high variances between cars he has done with the same map.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    51
    Posts
    133
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Which dealership?
    Me: 2013 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4 Auto

    SWAMBO: 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD

    Other: 2011 Conqueror Commander

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    464
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    -23kw and -90nm, yes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    kyalami
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,204
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    If ford are doing it then it's a no-brainer. More performance and warranty intact. What are they charging?

    Why not dyno it before and after and then you have proof? It will cost a few hundred bucks.

    25kw is a lot. I will be surprised if they can get this. Talking about "measured" or on-the-wheel figures, not "corrected" or flywheel figures. 90nm most tuners can do all day on any modern TurboDiesel that is in good running order.

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanked: 48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    NO-ONE can make a guarantee on your motor after mapping. A LOT depends on the exact state of your motor before mapping.
    I don't think that statement is correct Deon. Eg. Volvo will do a "Polestar" remap performance upgrade on their top turbos which comes complete with guarantee.

    I recon it is quite possible that "performance maps" exist and are deployed by Dealers at the expense of reliability and/or emissions / refinement targets. I could see eg that performance maps for certain police vehicles could be justified.
    Best regards
    Philip
    LR: '11 Rangie 5.0 S/C & '01 Disco 2 XS 4.6 V8
    Ford: '19 Ranger 3.2 XLS Manual SuperCab 4x4 (XLT was horrible)
    Chevrolet: '70 C10 350ci / 700R4 (4-sp Overdrive) & '59 Apache (Stepside)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,141
    Thanked: 2485

    Default

    Upping the power on a turbo diesel is easy. Add boost, add fuel. Job done.

    If the job os done badly though the engine will suffer premature wear and failure.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thestef View Post
    Which dealership?
    Will discuss that on Saturday. I know there is Ford employees on here so dont want to say to much.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Supercab 4x4

    PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman suspension 70mm lift
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Custom built hunting rack/canopy
    Escape Gear seat covers
    Black Rhino Imperial Rims
    Maxxis Bighorn 764 265/70R17
    Stofpad Bashplate & gearbox plate
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    Gerbers 83L Long Range Tank
    More soon



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    51
    Posts
    133
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Noted
    Me: 2013 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4 Auto

    SWAMBO: 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0 CRD

    Other: 2011 Conqueror Commander

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HoneyDew
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Well, If I saved a few Bucks i am doing it as well!
    If ford is doing it for you! WOW DO it!

    I have seen Rangers, and I have spoken to guys that did this and they are VERY happy. At this stage its just to expensive for me... But it will be the last thing i do, If that doesnt help... Baai Ranger! ( Already busy with 2 ohter Projects ... All Planning done, All homework done!)

    Please ask Ford to Do a Dyno Before and a Dyno after the time to proof to you that what they say will work.
    FordRanger T6 / 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto.
    The 3Ton Gravel Road Monster over weekends.
    The Pavement Special in the week.
    Since March 2013
    ConquerorComfort.
    Camping instyle since January 2012.

    HAM CallSign: ZS6LSC
    ORRA CallSign:AG34


    <a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2013/zs6lsc/172702" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank">

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,043
    Thanked: 952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZS6LSC GP View Post
    Well, If I saved a few Bucks i am doing it as well!
    If ford is doing it for you! WOW DO it!

    I have seen Rangers, and I have spoken to guys that did this and they are VERY happy. At this stage its just to expensive for me... But it will be the last thing i do, If that doesnt help... Baai Ranger! ( Already busy with 2 ohter Projects ... All Planning done, All homework done!)

    Please ask Ford to Do a Dyno Before and a Dyno after the time to proof to you that what they say will work.
    I really find it hard to believe that Ford are allowing this to be done
    FJC - Just Cruising

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HoneyDew
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    I really find it hard to believe that Ford are allowing this to be done
    I dont think Ford really knows whats going on....
    and I think the dealerships are getting gatvol of all the complaints on the No Power Autos. so they are starting to leave it in the hands of the "aftermarket" to sort it out!
    FordRanger T6 / 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto.
    The 3Ton Gravel Road Monster over weekends.
    The Pavement Special in the week.
    Since March 2013
    ConquerorComfort.
    Camping instyle since January 2012.

    HAM CallSign: ZS6LSC
    ORRA CallSign:AG34


    <a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2013/zs6lsc/172702" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank">

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,043
    Thanked: 952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZS6LSC GP View Post
    I dont think Ford really knows whats going on....
    and I think the dealerships are getting gatvol of all the complaints on the No Power Autos. so they are starting to leave it in the hands of the "aftermarket" to sort it out!
    Eish, there are going to be a lot of timebombs floating around the market in the next few years if this happens...............there is a reason that they limit the output of modern turbo diesels
    FJC - Just Cruising

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HoneyDew
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Eish, there are going to be a lot of timebombs floating around the market in the next few years if this happens...............there is a reason that they limit the output of modern turbo diesels
    Well, according to Ford - the 3.2 is very tuned down... the engine was designed to do 170kw.... but to make it last 1 000 000km they tuned it down. i really think most tuners will still build in a saftey factor.
    FordRanger T6 / 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto.
    The 3Ton Gravel Road Monster over weekends.
    The Pavement Special in the week.
    Since March 2013
    ConquerorComfort.
    Camping instyle since January 2012.

    HAM CallSign: ZS6LSC
    ORRA CallSign:AG34


    <a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2013/zs6lsc/172702" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank">

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    kyalami
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,204
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    This reliability discussion has been going on for years.

    Do you really think I would remap my own vehicles if their reliability would be affected?

    I have a 2006 disco 3 TDV6 185,000km remapped from basically new. Cost R480k. Development maps done on her, all kinds of crazy mods, and she runs like a dream 8 years later.
    How much more reliability do you want?

    I have a 2007 RRSport TDV8 which was a year old when we bought her at 18,000km and R750k, remapped immediately and she now has 135,000 km and HUGE torque. Exhaust stud had to be replaced, which is not uncommon, and that is the only issue we have had.

    So would I put my own R1m+ investment at risk ?

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    HoneyDew
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baben View Post
    This reliability discussion has been going on for years.

    Do you really think I would remap my own vehicles if their reliability would be affected?

    I have a 2006 disco 3 TDV6 185,000km remapped from basically new. Cost R480k. Development maps done on her, all kinds of crazy mods, and she runs like a dream 8 years later.
    How much more reliability do you want?

    I have a 2007 RRSport TDV8 which was a year old when we bought her at 18,000km and R750k, remapped immediately and she now has 135,000 km and HUGE torque. Exhaust stud had to be replaced, which is not uncommon, and that is the only issue we have had.

    So would I put my own R1m+ investment at risk ?

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Do you have some Figures for us.... May 3 of 4 Rangers you did?
    FordRanger T6 / 3.2 XLT 4x4 Auto.
    The 3Ton Gravel Road Monster over weekends.
    The Pavement Special in the week.
    Since March 2013
    ConquerorComfort.
    Camping instyle since January 2012.

    HAM CallSign: ZS6LSC
    ORRA CallSign:AG34


    <a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/ranger/2013/zs6lsc/172702" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank"><a href="https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/172702.png" target="_blank">

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    kyalami
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,204
    Thanked: 7

    Default

    No dude, I haven't done any rangers

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    56
    Posts
    5,043
    Thanked: 952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baben View Post
    This reliability discussion has been going on for years.

    Do you really think I would remap my own vehicles if their reliability would be affected?

    I have a 2006 disco 3 TDV6 185,000km remapped from basically new. Cost R480k. Development maps done on her, all kinds of crazy mods, and she runs like a dream 8 years later.
    How much more reliability do you want?

    I have a 2007 RRSport TDV8 which was a year old when we bought her at 18,000km and R750k, remapped immediately and she now has 135,000 km and HUGE torque. Exhaust stud had to be replaced, which is not uncommon, and that is the only issue we have had.

    So would I put my own R1m+ investment at risk ?

    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

    We are not talking what private owners do with their vehicles after the warranty has expired(or before) this is the manufacturer saying THEY will do it, the vehicle has been tested to be reliable to 147kw(or maybe not?) why now would they offer 25kw more 'afterfitment' - as I said I find this very hard to believe that Ford themselves are offering this - especially with all the crap they have had with that motor!!?? It makes no sense!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanked: 17

    Default

    For all interested we can discuss this tomorrow. I have contact details from people who has done this. They had it on the Dyno before and after without Fords knowledge so nothing funny with dealer involved.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 Supercab 4x4

    PBE Duel battery system
    Ironman front bumper
    Ironman suspension 70mm lift
    Ironman Snorkel
    Ironman Rocksliders
    Custom built hunting rack/canopy
    Escape Gear seat covers
    Black Rhino Imperial Rims
    Maxxis Bighorn 764 265/70R17
    Stofpad Bashplate & gearbox plate
    CobraX spats
    Easyawn RTT
    Gerbers 83L Long Range Tank
    More soon



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    pretoria
    Age
    45
    Posts
    464
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    if the turbos over speed as per the recall... then increasing the power on a stock engine is fatal.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to acssa For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Defender Remapping
    By BruceT in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2012/11/01, 09:37 AM
  2. Volvo XC90 D5 Remapping
    By Airguitar in forum Softroaders
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012/07/30, 02:39 PM
  3. Bulk Deal remapping - 20 LR's required!
    By NewLandy in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 2012/01/22, 06:20 PM
  4. My final word on td5 remapping
    By OSIYEZA in forum Land Rover
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2012/01/17, 01:56 PM
  5. SAC Unichip remapping cost
    By Loehis in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2011/11/25, 08:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •