Suzuki Jimny ground clearance with a mountain bike?

Default Suzuki Jimny ground clearance with a mountain bike?

So I have friend that is planning, or shall I rather say researching for a trip around SA after the lockdown ends. He and his wife have been looking at the Suziki Jimny as an option, as they want something small, nimble and not heavy on the gas. they found these guys renting them: https://www.treadlite4x4hire.co.za/4...e-ride-strong/ but that is not the point.

They want to know this, if they put the bikes on the back what is the ground clearance like at the back? will it be an issue? being a smaller 4x4 is it sufficient?

yea or nay?

Default Re: Suzuki Jimny ground clearance with a mountain bike?

Quote Originally Posted by sergeporter View Post
    So I have friend that is planning, or shall I rather say researching for a trip around SA after the lockdown ends. He and his wife have been looking at the Suziki Jimny as an option, as they want something small, nimble and not heavy on the gas. they found these guys renting them: https://www.treadlite4x4hire.co.za/4...e-ride-strong/ but that is not the point.

They want to know this, if they put the bikes on the back what is the ground clearance like at the back? will it be an issue? being a smaller 4x4 is it sufficient?

yea or nay?
    It would depend on the type of rack that they want to use. Note that the racks that mount on the spare wheel of the Jimny should not be used - the back door cannot take the weight and buckles.
    The type of rack that the bikes stand on would likely not give enough clearance. The tow bar mounted pillar type (e.g. Trapezium) are the most suitable.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

I don't understand.

The bike brackets that work on the rear tow hook mounts lift the bicycle well above bumper height.

What ground clearance issue? As Saxj said, tow bar mounts are fine.

2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    It would depend on the type of rack that they want to use. Note that the racks that mount on the spare wheel of the Jimny should not be used - the back door cannot take the weight and buckles.
    The type of rack that the bikes stand on would likely not give enough clearance. The tow bar mounted pillar type (e.g. Trapezium) are the most suitable.
    Thanks Vic.

That is sound advice, makes sense to me. you clearly know your Jimnys!

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I don't understand.

The bike brackets that work on the rear tow hook mounts lift the bicycle well above bumper height.

What ground clearance issue? As Saxj said, tow bar mounts are fine.

I can only imagine it would have to do with clearance when ascending or when the nose lifts upwards going through a ditch.
    I have plenty clearance on my GV but the towbar will catch when working my way through some holes and ditches.

If that is not it then a towbar mounted bike carrier with two bikes shouldn't make the rear sag.

Quote Originally Posted by maxxis2112 View Post

If that is not it then a towbar mounted bike carrier with two bikes shouldn't make the rear sag.
    precisely
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus