Gifberg - Western Cape - Trip report Dec 2019

Default Gifberg - Western Cape - Trip report Dec 2019

Hi Friends,

We visited Gifberg in the month of December 2019.

Camp/Route: Gifberg Campsite – (the more difficult one)
    Date: 27-29 December 2019
    Stay: 2 nights, 2.5 days
    Vehicles: Hilux 2016, LC100vx bakkie
    Modifications: AT rubber, under body protection and some elements relating to comfort, LC was lifted with Dobinsons fitted. Sidesteps on the LC was removed and the Hilux has rock sliders but standard suspension.
    Temperatures: Warm, to very warm, pleasant at night. River water very pleasant.
    To Do: hike, 4x4 driving, swimming, sunbathing, fishing, undisturbed peace and quiet.

Feedback on route: From the reception the drive was easy and pleasant over patched of loose sand, noting serious. The plateau of the Gifberg is used to cultivate Rooibos and the route cuts through a few of these Rooibos farmlands. Descending into the valley was done without to much effort, aside form the indicated red pin. Some careful driving was required. Not so dangerous I'd say but could potentially damage vehicles. One mayor obstacle was the off-camber rock in the middle of the route, this is to be taken note of when driving down. I'f your vehicle is not high enough to clear it going down, maybe think twice as the coming back part was significantly more difficult. The route was bone dry when we visited the campsite. Despite the dry conditions and a lot of rock stacking the land cruiser ended up winching itself out and pulling up the hilux thereafter as the hilux is not equipped with nice long tongue. I have to add that this was only a problem at the single obstacle, red pin. Aside from the adventure, experienced on the route, the marking is clear and the dive scenic. Surfaces encountered were sand, loose rock, hard rock. I suspect the route was used a few times during December and might have seen a bit more traffic than usual.

Feedback on camp:We were impressed with the scenic beauty of the camp. The entire camp is basically on very loose sand, you can also camp closer to the ridge should you need something firmer. There are no/zero: potable water, electricity, amenities/ablutions just a clean riverside with a sandy shore and crystal clear water. At the time we were there it was evident that the river has not been flowing for some time but the water was clear, unpolluted and did not smell. There were signs of ape/baboon but we weren’t bothered once during our stay. Be sure to take the rod and reel as there are bass and other fish in the river. We did manage to catch a few using lures. There is some driftwood available to make fire with but we ended up using our own wood. If you are looking for a very private beak-away with no interruptions from the daily commotion and communication this is the place to go. As far as off grid bush camping goes, this is one of the best sites I’ve seen/been to.

Feedback on general:
    Friendly reception with rooibos products shop, Recovery available at a price, would not recommend taking a trailer to the more difficult camp, cannot comment about the easier accessible site. Be sure to take the solar panels as the fridges worked overtime in the valley during December. Also, watch out for sand on river edge… we had a nice dig on the day we departed. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO OFF GRID CAMPING LOVERS!!! be sure to try breakfast on your way out at the reception, we enjoyed the food.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_125042.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	570240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_141919.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	570241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_144014.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	570242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_145657.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	570243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191228_095049.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	570244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_191158.jpg 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	570245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_191347.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	570246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_191227.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	570247  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gifberg.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	471.8 KB 
ID:	570248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191227_202326.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	570249  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to janbisschoff For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gifberg - Western Cape - Trip report Dec 2019

Excellent, nice concise review.

Thank You. Hope you going to do a few more.
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/